Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Diarrhoea in Dog

Options
  • 22-07-2010 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

Hi all

My dog has had diarrhoea since this morning. I've also noticed this evening that she's panting excessively. Is there anything I can give her to help her and at what stage should I call the vet?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

Is there any blood?
    Is she drinking?
    Any other signs of illness?
    Boil some white rice and chicken, no stock or seasoning and give a little tomorrow morning, just a small bit to start, and maybe bit more at lunch and again evening. That should firm things up.
    The excessive panting would worry me to be honest, could she have eaten anything dangerous?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Thanks mymo. Can't think of anything she could have had to eat outside of her normal food. That said she did have some sausage yesterday evening which I don't usually give her. She's been a little quite but was happy on her walk this evening. There no blood or any other signs of anything and she's been drinking water as normal. The panting has stopped since her last bout of diarrohea and she's sleeping now.

I tried her with some chicken and rice earlier tonight as she's had no reapeats since lunch time but like I said it's happened again earlier. She doesn't bark to be let out so I'm started to wonder if the panting was a sign that she need to go.

Thanks again for your reply.

Try not to feed her for 12 hours, just to give her system a chance to get all the bad stuff out, so long as she drinks plenty she should be ok. They can get tummy bugs, both mine have had a bout of vomiting and diarrheoa in recent months, I then found out several neighbours dogs had the same. Vet said it was just a bug, but it was scarey(and x2 dogs=messy) it shouldn't last longer than 24 hrs or so.
    Best of luck, keep an eye on her.

Thanks mymo... it is scary (and messy!) Have my alarm set to go off a few times during the night to take her out, might not ease the scare part but hopefully will ease the mess lol.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Diarrhoea can be associated with so many things tbh.My rule as ive said before is if it persists after 48 hrs,no food for the first 24,bland for the nxt...then straight to a vet.

After 48hrs and no change ,you're into dehydration territory. Itll need further investigation then for parasites,pancreatic insuffficiency,allergies,food intolerance..etc!!

Most "episodes" clear up before then, so give her plenty of water and little or no food for the next day or two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Deffo. not food for 24 hours and give the pooch access to plenty of water. Feeding anything even chick. and rice will just prolong the runs.
    After that is the poop has cleared up then a little bit of food like chick n rice to start with and see how you go.

Just a quick update. We went to the vet this morning cos she hadn't improved and it was another very disturbed night for her. He gave her two shots, one for the stomach spasms.... poor thing it stung like hell and really hurt her but vet said that was normal.

She now has tablets for a few days and I've just managed to entice her to eat a little rice. Hopefull we'll see improvement as the day/weekend goes on.

Thanks again folks for your help and advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭theghost

Don't give her too much to eat and make sure she's drinking. Hope she's ok soon

Oh the poor pet, hope she's ok.
    Did the vet give a reason?
    Just go easy on the food, start with about a table spoon. If she keeps than down(and in) give it 2 hrs and try another spoon full. I know you'll feel mean giving her just a tiny bit, but if she gets to much to quick it could set her back. If she's fine after 24 hrs of that increase it a little, and again the next day. After about 4 days you can mix in a small amount of dry food, than gradually wean off the chicken and rice over 3 or 4 days. Since she's so bad I'd keep to small meals and often for about a week if you can.

Mymo, he said it was a bug, and a bad one at that. She hadn't had the chance on recent walks to eat anything so its the only thing he felt it could be. He gave her two shots, the second one had her crying for about 2 mins. It was awful to see it esp as she usually never complains about anything. It was to stop her spasms and hard and all as it was to see her immediately afterwards she's like a new dog this evening. She has so much more energy, is "snuffling" and continues to play with her toys once you engage her. It's such a relief.

If anyone is in the same situation I urge you to go to the vet.... he has worked wonders.

She's now had 3 feeds of 1-1/2 tablespoons of rice and shavings of chicken. She will be on the same tomorrow and Monday. Hopefully by then I'll be weening her back onto her normal food. You don't half feel tight!

It's incredible to see her coming back to herself. Vet will be getting a bottle of wine tomorrow... the man is a miracle worker in my book!

Thanks again all for your support.

• Advertisement

Good to hear she's on the mend.
    I know what you mean re feeling tight:D
    Really wish you could make them understand its all for their own good, they're a bit like kids that way.:D

Advertisement