Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Advice on a New Camera

• 22-07-2010 10:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 588 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

I'm looking to upgrade my camea and I kinda have an idea of what I'm going to go with but would appreciate any advise / comments on the below.

My absolutle max spend is 2K. I want the camera for general photography but I may also have a chance to get into covering gigs. At first, it will just be unpaid work but it is something I would really like to develop if I could.

Right, then, I'm thinking of going with a Cannon D50 and possibley a couple of lenses but am unsure whether to go with 18-55mm or a 17-85mm and if I could afford it maybe a 18-135mm or 200mm? Any other lenses I should be thinking about?

On the flash, would a 430EX II be good enough or should I opt for 580EXII? Is it really worth the extra couple of hundred quid?

Also, where is the best place to buy at the minute? I think I would prefer to buy in shop rather than online and have no problem travelling up north.

Thanks in advance for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

For gigs you're far better off with fast primes, like 50mm f/1.4 or f/1.8, 35mm f/1.8, 28mm f/2.8 for getting the whole stage in perhaps. Flash just kills the ambient lighting that will have been set up specifically for the set. Wide apertures - a camera that handles high ISO really good and IS/VR lenses or a Body with built in IS, like the Sony A900.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭hbr

Lao Lao wrote: »
    My absolutle max spend is 2K.

That's a good budget for a camera.
    I want the camera for general photography

That part will be easy.
    but I may also have a chance to get into covering gigs.

Not so easy.
    Right, then, I'm thinking of going with a Cannon D50

Now might be a good time to buy a 50D. Prices for the 50D
    body have fallen to about €700. This puts it in the same price
    category as it's smaller siblings the 500D and 550D. I reckon
    we will see a new Canon model fairly soon. 60D?
    and possibley a couple of lenses but am unsure whether to go with 18-55mm or a 17-85mm and if I could afford it maybe a 18-135mm or 200mm? Any other lenses I should be thinking about?

None of those lenses would be good for gigs. Even the humble
    €100 50mm f/1.8 would be better. I have the 18-135mm and it
    is quite good in daylight, but it would be too slow for gig shots.

I'm inclined to agree with Cagey, some fast primes or perhaps
    a couple of large aperture zoom lenses. Such lenses are very
    expensive and could devour your entire budget.

Perhaps you could compromise by getting the 50D body with
    the 18-135mm as a walk around lens for general photography
    and something a bit better for gig shots. The best choice depends
    on the shots you will be taking. The Canon 50mm f1/4 is very
    good, but maybe the wider field of view of a 35mm ish prime
    would be better if you are close to the stage.

Have a look at these nice gig shots posted by
    stunt_penguin. These were taken with the cheap
    and cheerful 50mm f/1,8.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055975983
    On the flash, would a 430EX II be good enough or should I opt for 580EXII? Is it really worth the extra couple of hundred quid?

Either one would be nice, but not essential.
    Also, where is the best place to buy at the minute? I think I would prefer to buy in shop rather than online and have no problem travelling up north.

I was going to suggest that you buy on-line, but I see the 50D
    body is €799 in Conns, so you could possibly consider buying
    it here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭AnimalRights

Flash just kills the ambient lighting that will have been set up specifically for the set.
    90% of gigs I cover have SFA lighting so it does depend on where she is shooting a gig, medium/large venues which will have lighting or small pubs/clubs which won't.

This month's Digital SLR magazine pits all the usual Semi-pro dslrs against one another. The 50D is in there. verdict 4.5/5, very good. But ... they do say noise is evident after ISO 800.

Another option, and one they highly rate, is the Nikon D300s, more expensive but they say it's great up to ISO 1000. 50mm and 35mm lenses are dirt cheap on Nikon systems too. The others reviewd would chew up your whole budget - D700, EOS7D, Alpha 900, EOS 5D mk II [only one to get 5/5 but body only is £1700 according to them]

90% of gigs I cover have SFA lighting so it does depend on where she is shooting a gig, medium/large venues which will have lighting or small pubs/clubs which won't.

Your flash will still kill any lighting they have though no? And that is of course, if flash photography is permitted to begin with. Just easier to swing a cam about without a flash unit, and use fast primes instead ... though you would want a cam with great ISO handling.

• Advertisement

Your flash will still kill any lighting they have though no? And that is of course, if flash photography is permitted to begin with. Just easier to swing a cam about without a flash unit, and use fast primes instead ... though you would want a cam with great ISO handling.

But as I said they don't have light!!!
    And all pubs/small clubs will nearly all allow flash.
    But as I said if OP is referring to a bigger venue then she should have light and yes flash probably isn't allowed, my original point was letting you know that not everywhere has light!

But as I said they don't have light!!!
    And all pubs/small clubs will nearly all allow flash.
    But as I said if OP is referring to a bigger venue then she should have light and yes flash probably isn't allowed, my original point was letting you know that not everywhere has light!

they play in the dark? :p

they play in the dark? :p

31B85013CAE645AB9C3E577DF58DFE6D-800.jpg

Look around not a decent light in sight..Thomas House Basement.

Grand if you're allowed use flash, I imagine some performers wouldn't like a flash going off in their face while they play. Even in basic pub lighting though, a good camera with a prime lens at high ISO should get nice shots. Even if you need to add fill light later in LR.

Alas I'm hitting my head on a brick wall talking to you!

• Advertisement

:rolleyes: whatever ... expert ...
    :D

Jaysis, there is some narky people in here, take a few gig shots and they're experts in the field. if you can't manage bright shots in a bar with a good cam + lens, give it up already. Let's be honest, that shot you posted above, would benefit from mad fill light, or something to lift it. Did you use flash on that? Doesn't look like it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

If you want to argue the finer points of Gig Photography, please start another thread. The discussion here is quickly derailing what was asked in the OP. I also am concerned at the tone of some of the posts.

Play nice or play elsewhere. ;)

We differ wildly on our pp techniques as was discussed b4 with the eyes on that child photograph of yours. All photographers are different, I didn't want that photo I posted 'lifted', it was a dark dingy basement and I wanted to portray that in the shot, hence my use of the flash on low power!
    And as a last comment on this the music I photograph doesn't go with ambience it's fling 100mph Punk Rock!!! you're here long enough to surely work that out!! I know ure style of shooting after all and you've left the Sony camp to go with a Nikon 200!! Need I go on!!

Aahh typed that last reply on my iPhone. Didn't see ur reply cabansail.

Fair enough. I wasn't slating your shot, just felt it could do with a boost of fill, personal preference as you say.

We'll agree to disagree on this one eh? ;)

I would still suggest a body that can handle high ISO decently, and fast prime lenses.

The D300s body:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-D300S-Digital-Camera-Body/dp/B002J9GIB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279875519&sr=8-1 -

£1123/€1335

Nikon 50mm f/1.4D AF -

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-50mm-1-4D-Nikkor-Lens/dp/B00005LENO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279875633&sr=1-1

£229/€272

and/or

Nikon 35mm AF-S DX f/1.8

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Nikon-AF-S-DX-35mm-f1-8G/dp/B001S2PPT0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1279875738&sr=1-1

£179/€212

Buying the body + either one of those leaves you around €500 to get a general zoom and flash gun on top.

That's what I'd go for, but with the Canon 50d you would have a lot more cash left over after buying the body, to get more lenses and gear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

My absolutle max spend is 2K. I want the camera for general photography but I may also have a chance to get into covering gigs. At first, it will just be unpaid work but it is something I would really like to develop if I could.

Don't rule out other brands e.g. Sony and also remember to check and see what feels good in your hands.

True that. If I'd not found a good deal on a D200 I'd have waited until I had a little extra and bought An A550 body. Sony dslrs supposedly have the best implementation of Live view.

Advertisement