Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Performing Arts music course at Coláiste an Chraoibhin In Fermoy.

Options
  • 22-07-2010 11:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭

Hi guys need some advice, my eldest is applying for PLC courses in Music proformance/Sound and has applied for a course here. Has anyone any prior experience with them, or has done the course and how did they find it?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

There's not much information about the course online, is it new to the college?

It's FETAC level 5, roughly the same kind of demands as the Leaving Cert.
    I've taught these courses in the past, they are a good starting point for entering the music/sound business. Students get a chance to learn about the industry and identify possible directions in which they might like to progress.

Employment opportunities aren't great after this (or any other) course in the business and competition for any opportunities that may appear are fierce.

It's not a bad place to start if you are considering further study or a very basic position in the industry. But I honestly wouldn't expect much employment wise, that's not to say he shouldn't be sending CV's out to anyone and everyone. Networking is a big part of getting an 'in' in this game.

That said the course is very interesting and will be rewarding to anyone who really works hard and has a genuine interest in music and sound etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

Thanks for the reply studiorat, much appreciated. He's mad to get into the industry and is feeling his way around at the minute. (Rockstar in the making) Just can't seem to find anyone who knows of this Fermoy course or has attended it.

Not sure how long this course has been in existance, or how good it is in comparison say to PLC course in Waterford specifically in Sound Engineering and thats the crux, at his interview not many questions were asked of the course..he by all accounts gave a great interview and was "the type" of person they were looking for...but he was so wrapped up in his audition he completely forget to ask his list of questions and left quite delighted with himself.

hense my post here..Cheers Studiorat. Will keep looking for info and thanks very much for the advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

When you say Rock Star in the making, is he sure he wouldn't just like to so a straight up music course studying music as opposed to sound engineering?

Being a professional musician is as valid a career choice as being a sound engineer. They have similar career prospects IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

valid point, he is in an unusual position as he is still quite young, he sat his Leaving Cert this year at only 16. The idea of carrying on straight into college and moving from home is quite daunting and he had an interview with WIT for a BA course with Music but unfortunatly was turned down.

That really was a fact finding mission but his age I think came against him so....The PLC option has caught his eye as a kind of transition year and some breathing space which hopefully will give him time to explore all avenues and options and hopefully firm up some direction for him. The proformance end of it is his major draw, he is a very good guitarist (I'm biased of course) is dabbling with keyboard and records his stuff on a wee Boss Micro BR he has a knack and definate interest in the tech/sound end of things as well.

Really is looking for the best of both worlds and funnily enough this course in Fermoy seemed to tick quite a few of the boxes for him. Just not a lot of "intel" on this course out there from anyone whos done it...I'll just keep asking around and an ear to the ground. Cheers Studiorat for the help.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

iceage wrote: »
    Hi guys need some advice, my eldest is applying for PLC courses in Music proformance/Sound and has applied for a course here. Has anyone any prior experience with them, or has done the course and how did they find it?

Posting this in the main section of the forum might get more attention. This section is for people in the trade.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭dav nagle

iceage wrote: »

I have a HNDP in the performing arts and it made all the difference to me. I learned a wide variety of musical skills from singing, playing drums, piano, sight reading, programming midi, basic engineering, guitar and bass etc... I did it in 99-01 and realized I could do anything musical once I put my mind to it. Ballyfermott senior college. I cant recommend a course like this enough especially for someone young.

Advertisement