Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

This normal when coming off pill???

Options
  • 22-07-2010 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm new to these boards. Came off the pill last month as partner and I decided to ttc. I've been on some form of the pill since 16 and now 25.

Finished my last pack of mercilon last month and had my normal 7 day break for period (or withdrawal bleed as ive learnt from reading these threads) and never went back on the pill.

I counted the first day of my usual 7 day break as day one (I hope this is correct!!!) and am now day 37 with no period as of yet but last two weeks have felt sick and have cramps.

Got so excited and ahead of myself and did pregnancy test a week ago but it was neg and thinking bout doing another one tomorrow.

Just wondering is this normal for coming off the pill after so long or what are the chances that after first month off it I could be pregnant?!?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

yes it's totally normal. Some people resume their normal cycle immediately, others don't. You must remember that technically your body has thought itself pregnant for the last 9 years (that's what the pill does to stop you from getting pregnant for real) so now it's adjusting, and hormones may be a little skewed for a while. For me it took about a year to get back to normal, but that's longer than most.
    you were right to count the first day of the bleed as Day 1, however remember the first bleed is not a normal period (shedding of an unfertilized egg) it's just the bodys reaction to cessation of the pill. Your true first period will be the next one.
    By the way, I have a friend who came off the pill after years and years on it and she got pregnant on the first cycle, so you could very well be pregnant. Do you have any idea if and when you ovulated?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks for your reply. No not quite sure of ovulation dates as was kinda waiting to see what length of a cycle I would have first month off the pill.
    We are trying to not get into opk testing yet so just trying to have sex as often and frequent as we can and just enjoy it for the moment.

Started bleeding 3 days ago and presumed it was my period but also lasted 2 days. So now doing some reading up and wondering if it implantation bleeding? Was a really bright pink/red discharge. (Sorry for too much info!)

So now wondering whether to do preg test again or just go see my doctor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

could be implantation bleed alright. Give it a couple of days and test. A test should turn positive approx 4 days after implantation. good luck ;)

Advertisement