Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

HDD Dying. Still Useable??

• 22-07-2010 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭

Hey guys.

About a couple of weeks ago, my HDD started becoming slow at writing for some peculiar reason and I found that there was a bad sector on the drive.

The question is: Could I use the drive still (As a slave), or is it as useless as a chocolate fire guard??

(And if its possible, could it be fixed??)

Thanks in Advance :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Hard drives are cheap enough. Take all the important information from the hard drive IMMEDIATELY... You will try to boot the PC one day and suddenly it will not work... Then you will be faced with the possibility of losing your information.

Backup your information now, then buy a new hard drive and either
    a) image your old disk to the new one using something like Disk Director
    b) just install your operating system using your Windows XP CD.. and then install all the apps and data you use... (now would be a good time to find your XP/restore CD btw)..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Hard drives are cheap enough. Take all the important information from the hard drive IMMEDIATELY... You will try to boot the PC one day and suddenly it will not work... Then you will be faced with the possibility of losing your information.

Backup your information now, then buy a new hard drive and either
    a) image your old disk to the new one using something like Disk Director
    b) just install your operating system using your Windows XP CD.. and then install all the apps and data you use... (now would be a good time to find your XP/restore CD btw)..

nuff said. Back it up and bin it. Grab a new one. Using something like that as a slave will just drive you insane, even if it manages to stay running.

• Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

I am already way ahead of you. My father gave me his old drive and I am using it while the other drive is shipping to me.

I have installed Windows 7 and I am running grand now. I was only wondering if it could be used at all (as a slave)

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,254 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If its a decent size, you could make use of it for information that isnt important, e.g. get an external enclosure that works as a media player, and fill it with mp3s or movies

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Hard drives have a few % of spare sector that they remap on the fly

when you start seeing bad sectors it means it's run out of spare ones :(

dead man walking

use a tool like hdtune (windows) or smartctl (linux) to check out the drive stats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 632 ✭✭✭VampiricPadraig

Quick Update. I got my new HDD this morning :D Bye bye old drive

Advertisement