Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

college photography portfolio ideas..

• 23-07-2010 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭

hi, im currently trying to build a photography portfolio to get into st johns college cork. im trying to think of ideas and things i can photograph for this. anyone got any guidance or ideas for me??

i have a canon eos 50D with the basic kit lens 18-55mm.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

I've not had experience in making a portfolio but I'd say if you're trying to impress then take a whole variety of photos.

Like landscape,people,places etc,different techniques and effects.
    That's the first thing to came to mind,show them that you're good and well able to take all sorts of pictures in different ways.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,263 ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

You could do something social, I did some work for a community drugs help group and it was very interesting from a people point of view.

It will be probably easier to do somehthing that you are passionate about

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭serjical_strike

Borderfox wrote: »
    You could do something social, I did some work for a community drugs help group and it was very interesting from a people point of view.

It will be probably easier to do somehthing that you are passionate about

do you think i should stick with all black and white pics or mixing colour with B&W would be ok in the portfolio?

i like the social aspect, id be interested in getting some pics of bands playing live, id also like to get some night shots with a long exposure to bring out the trails from cars and make lights on buildings stand out, finding somewhere in cork city for that tho hmmm!!

i was looking at your site, some great pics on there!!

storm2811 wrote: »
    I've not had experience in making a portfolio but I'd say if you're trying to impress then take a whole variety of photos.

Like landscape,people,places etc,different techniques and effects.
    That's the first thing to came to mind,show them that you're good and well able to take all sorts of pictures in different ways.

i was thinking the exact same, guess its the way to go then, cheers for the input!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I would say pick your all time best photographs that are different than the norm, I would avoid sunsets and flowers, pick a few themes with 3-4 per theme maybe depending on the limit. Have a little context introduction for each theme if possible. Convey the rules of photography like the rule of thirds and composition to show you have the knowledge needed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,183 ✭✭✭storm2811

i was thinking the exact same, guess its the way to go then, cheers for the input!!

It was the first thing that popped into my head,I do take photos regularly but I've never made a portfolio so best to ask someone who has,it's probably what I would do though.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

With portolios for College, it is very important to show that you are able to control your medium and your surroundings, so be able to compose and image, and move in imovable (Ie. buildings, moving yourself to get the shot and possibly finding a better one).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

For St Johns - create a number of pics which shows you have an understanding of photography - similar to what previous poster said....try to create some different images and image styles.

if you can - borrow some gear or rent some gear, try get some sports images, do some studio portraits, outdoors portraits, macro work, concert photography...landscape photos , cityscapes, etc.... 2-3 of each will allow you to show them a diverse catalogue of your capabilities.

Dont be afraid to be creative (Its all about the detail) - look at various photographers sites to gain inspiration.... browse flickr, pix.ie deviantart etc etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

:(I'm hoping to apply a photography portfolio to DIT, and I'm really confused about what to put in it,I have no idea what i can and can't do eg editing photos??:confused::confused:, do you need to use a dslr camera for the photos and does the college give out themes or do you pick your own? Judging from previous posts about DIT photography it sounds really hard to get into? I've been searching all over the website for some kind of guidance but there is absolutely nothing there lol also I dont live in dublin so any kind of portfolio course isnt goina happen! however i was looking at a course with the dublin camera club :S Anyone know anyththing? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

the best advice i could give is just be yourself - be unique - not copying someone else - if you can't make something ordinary look exciting and original , then i wonder is a photography path the right one -

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

id also like to get some night shots with a long exposure to bring out the trails from cars and make lights on buildings stand out, finding somewhere in cork city for that tho hmmm!!

Opposite City Hall is a good spot for night shots

Kinsale Rd Roundabout,

any of the bridges over the South Ring or Link roads

any of the bridges over the Ballincollig bypass

outside various areas at the shopping centre in Ballincollig

across the river from the Opera House,

the area in front of the Opera House,

almost anywhere along the river in the city centre

Parliament Bridge,

junction of Grand Parade and South Mall

Cork is filled with literally hundreds of opportunities for night shots like you've described.

How about inside the English Market for some daytime shots?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

:(I'm hoping to apply a photography portfolio to DIT[/SIZE], and I'm really confused about what to put in it,I have no idea what i can and can't do eg editing photos??:confused::confused:, do you need to use a dslr camera for the photos and does the college give out themes or do you pick your own? Judging from previous posts about DIT photography it sounds really hard to get into? I've been searching all over the website for some kind of guidance but there is absolutely nothing there lol also I dont live in dublin so any kind of portfolio course isnt goina happen! however i was looking at a course with the dublin camera club :S Anyone know anyththing? :)

You might benefit from a photography plc course to get your portfolio together. I'd imagine you'd be at severe disadvantage without experience with dslrs and having all your work from compacts. Do you work with manual slrs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 VeronicaMoon

You might benefit from a photography plc course to get your portfolio together. I'd imagine you'd be at severe disadvantage without experience with dslrs and having all your work from compacts. Do you work with manual slrs?

I really want to do one but the annoying thing is there is absolutely no photography prep courses anywhere near me not even in town(dublin):mad: which is the only place I could travel to, Ive been getting books and researching loads about it. Im also buying a second hand dslr camera soon.. Do you know about drawings in the DIT photography course? I have been looking through alot of posts and people have been talking about stuff like that too :eek::eek::eek::eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

I'd really suggest you spend some time working with a dslr or manual slr before committing yourself to a photography degree. I know some who didn't like the nitty gritty after they realised what is involved.
    Well you could do a art portfolio prep course, they are more plentiful around the country and they'll get your drawing standard up. I know people in my portfolio course who got into DIT photography, so it is doable. Some tutors, like my own, actually held a photography degree so she knew her stuff. Broader art based portfolios can demonstrate the same skills needed for photography, composition/understanding colour/shading/being creative ect.
    Don't worry about darkroom skills, thats stuff they don't have to see in your portfolio because they can teach you when you get in. They really wanna see creativity, drive and ability. Theres plenty of fun stuff like pinhole photography you can do yourself for kicks.

Plus theres other photography degrees out there in the uk (some more tailored to specific areas of interest) if you don't get into DIT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭OctavarIan

Judging from previous posts about DIT photography it sounds really hard to get into?

Don't worry that's not because the quality of the competition is anything special, it's just because the judging panel are a teeny bit insane sometimes.

Take photos you love, take a few that show off your technical skills (composition, exposure etc). Don't worry about trying to fulfill a whole different gamut of styles and areas, just go somewhere where you'll enjoy taking photos and take some. If you're passionate about your subject it's way easier to take stunning photos.

At the end of the day a concentrated portfolio based around one topic with a dozen stellar photos will easily trump a varied portfolio with maybe a couple stellar photos and the rest mediocore because the photographer was uncomfortable.

Just whatever you do don't make your portfolio for DIT, make it for yourself.

i went out the other night and got some night shots to see what it was like and had great fun walking around at 3-5am in cork city :D

heres some of the shots...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/52434912@N03/

Advertisement