Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fresh start

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,838 ✭✭✭Nulty

I'm holding fire for the rest of the day unless theres a serious opportunity...I dont want to ruin it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Your on fire.

Can't see anything really worth a bet. Some interesting races at Wolves though. Looking forward to the Maktoum Challenge at Meydan.

Bank: 80.61

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Hahaha what a beauty man,gamble landed :D

Hennessy Gold Cup

Let Yourself Go 1pt ew @ 40/1 Stan James (1/4 Odds, 3 Places)

I've thought for a while now he wants a trip. He's bred to get 3 miles on both sides and the only thing I see as a problem is getting him to settle. Adrian Maguire is a very good trainer and has finally decided to try him over 3m but this looks aa fairly tough place to start unless they're planning a touch. I have no idea if the stable does such things but the silence is frustrating. Since theres been no word from the trainer. At 40/1 I thhink its worth the risk. If I knew he was going to run I'd have more on him but then tthe price may be much shorter. Its a right pickle but should he turn up - 40/1 is an outrageous price for thhe 9yo that has won a 3m PTP and bred to get the trip.

• Advertisement

Wolverhampton 7.00

Star Rover .5pts ew @ 25/1 Bet365

Fallen heavily in the ratings due to poor performance but is a Listed winner and still a young horse. His record in races of 7 or less runners is 3 from 5. He tends to front run and won on his debut two seasons ago. Comes from a good draw, won on the AW and worth a speculative each way in hope hes been sorted out

That was a fairly silly bet infairness. Brave Prospector looked nailed on considering tactics and a close look at the details but greed gets the better of me sometimes. One day Star Rover will come back but I'm not going to hang around to find out when.

Lingfield 4.30

Mafeking 4pts ew @ 10/1 Bet365

I'm fairly confident of a good result here. I'm expecting the horse to place without question. There are some in here with questions over the trip and some coming back from 2 or three month breaks and others who Mafeking holds on form. While it is a relatively competitive contest Mafeking has everything going for him. He's won comfortably over sourse and distance recently, like to be prominent and so benefits from stall 1, when he was beaten over CD last time it was by the enigmatic Final Drive whos gone over to Meydan and almost picked up a big handicap over there failing by half a length. Lowther is another horse that is in a rich vein of form and ran the improved Bravo Echo to a length in a Listed race last time. That form, though being beaten, stands very strong for Mafeking. He held Audemar that day comfortably though that horse tries head gear and gets 2lbs so should be tougher.

On a line through Bravo Echo it could be argued that Hazzard Country will beat Mafeking (HC got closer to BE than Lowther and Lowther beat Mafeking comfortably), though I think Bravo Echo stepped up again in the Listed race at Kempton so the gap isn't what it might appear. Mafeking doesn't need to lead and can happily sit behind the leader so if Alhaban wants to lead thats not an issue. I like Alhaban and would consideer backing him but for the question of his stamina. Mafeking is better value in this case and if Mafeking was around the 5/1 mark I'd certainly be having a go at Alhaban but at much smaller stakes.

EDIT:
    I seem to have forgotten to mention that Mafeking raced from stall 13 of 13 in his last race over 10f at Lingfield. He raced at least 3 wide the entire journey and was only a length and a half off the winner at the end. He was infact around 7 horse widths wide turning into the straight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Letyourselfgo

Actually considered him myself but decided to stay out of it as I felt there was alot with chances but I get why you fancy him.

Its a competitive enough race but form in the book and a juicy price and perfect draw....opportunity knocks. If he loses he loses, but if he wins (and I think he should) I want to have plenty on him.

Wetherby 3.15 (due off around 3.20)

Hollo Ladies 1pt @ 5/1 Bet365

Looks over priced in the context of the race. Should be closer to 5/2.

• Advertisement

:mad:

Bank: 70.61

Sandown 4.40

Souter Point 1pt ew @ 25/1 Bet365

Good ground key and step up not totally out of his scope. High in the weightsd but Bass claiming and Hendersons are flying. Difficult to win with but has potential if coming to hand

Nulty wrote: »
    Hennessy Gold Cup

Let Yourself Go 1pt ew @ 40/1 Stan James (1/4 Odds, 3 Places)

I've thought for a while now he wants a trip. He's bred to get 3 miles on both sides and the only thing I see as a problem is getting him to settle. Adrian Maguire is a very good trainer and has finally decided to try him over 3m but this looks aa fairly tough place to start unless they're planning a touch. I have no idea if the stable does such things but the silence is frustrating. Since theres been no word from the trainer. At 40/1 I thhink its worth the risk. If I knew he was going to run I'd have more on him but then tthe price may be much shorter. Its a right pickle but should he turn up - 40/1 is an outrageous price for thhe 9yo that has won a 3m PTP and bred to get the trip.

Pressing Up

Let Yourself Go 1pt ew @ 50/1 Stan James (1/4 Odds, 3 Places)

Price has drifted by over 20% after Pride Of Dulcote withdrawn...would be silly not to press up.

Lingfield 2.30

Tuxedo
    2pts @ 5/1 Will Hill

Not many of these have shown their best form over 8f and seem to be trying to step up from 7f. Tuxedo is one of these but he has made a better impression than most. He just found one too good last time in Lockantanks and had a little traffic problem that day too. He looks ready to win and Luke Morris is the jockey in form lately so a big run is expected but then he is 3rd fav.

Lingfield 3.35

Veroon 1pt @ 15/2 SkyBet

Very genuuine and consistent and sure to get a run for the money. He looks to be getting closer each try but still not won on AW. He's never raced at Lingfield though and could find it to his liking. The owner and trainer have been a strong combination lately with so many of their horses pplacing and a few winning, Veroon looks likely to strike soon just needs a few breaks. He's getting closer and will be there to take it if its there to be won.

Huntingdon 3.40

Talenti 1pt ew @ 16/1 VC

Too big, can't go into detail

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Your good buddy Kempes is running tomorrow Nulty. 15.15 Leopardstown.

Thanks Gavin - I'm put off by all the talk of the ground effecting his chances. Its a very weak race but I've already got an interest in it with Letyourselfgo and if Kempes wins, it emphasizes his chances at Cheltenham. Like in hte Lexus, Notre Pere came almost last but Pandorama won. Could be a blessing in disguise. Plus, I saw him at 12/1 before declarations for the first arrangement of the race and I didn't take it. I can't bring myself to take 13/2 now. Hope he runs well though.

Magic Sky 1pt ew @ 16/1 Will Hill

Its true that backing horses makes you back the same one again and again sometimes. Mostly its because I feel I saw something in a horse that still hasn't been bourse out in subsequent races. Magic Sky is one of those. Lots of things are telling me to look at the younger horses but Magic Sky has been in good form lately and now back a more reasonable trip I'm going to take him to run well again.

I've been really busy lately and so cant look at the cards as much as sometimes so I'm not going too deep. Might have one or two tomorrow before or during racing. Its good to sleep on it sometimes. Good luck with your bets all.

Newbury 3.35

Palomar 1pt ew @ 40/1 Bet365 (1/4 Odds, 5 Places)

Decent enough chance considering his age. He's in form since his 5th in the Cesarewitch. Very tough race and not confident whatsoever.

Leopardstown 1.45

Magnaminity 1pt @ 11/2

Don't think Mikael D'Hagaunet is value considering his chasing record. Just looking at Punchestown makes you think again about hurdlers come chasers. There are plenty of reasons why Mikael should improve but Magnaminity ran well at the course last time and enjoys the ground. Still more to come and while hes not as high profile, he has plenty of ability and will keep going to the line.

• Advertisement

Fook that. 2nd, UR, NR.

Bank: 60

Your good buddy Kempes is running tomorrow Nulty. 15.15 Leopardstown.

:rolleyes::(

Bank: 56

Typical.

I hope he goes for the Ryanair.

I don't know,he seemed to like the extra distance. Don't know about the 3 mile 2 over a hard track at Cheltenham for the GC. Maybe the Aintree Bowl would be nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

:rolleyes::(

Tell me about it, flip of a coin made me go for China Rock over Kempes, poxy coin.:D

I need something to soften the blow....
    Ryanair Chase - Cheltenham

Kempes 1pt ew @ 50/1 VC

Done the same for the Gold Cup...gonna have to be a good year for the Irish if I'm going to get anything out of the festivals

Cheltenham Gold Cup

Kempes 1pt ew @ 50/1 Ladbrokes (NRNB)

Thats a little bit better. I think he ought to go for the Ryanair. He has the profile of a Ryanair winner.

UrbanSea wrote: »
    I don't know,he seemed to like the extra distance. Don't know about the 3 mile 2 over a hard track at Cheltenham for the GC. Maybe the Aintree Bowl would be nice.

Championship pace on a course like Cheltenham would be perfect IMO. Dunno if I mentioned here that 5 of the 6 winners of the Ryanair since it was a grade 1 had won of 3 miles or won over that distance later. Emphasis is on stamina.

I think Sizing Europe could be a good shout if he goes.You're 50/1 looks nice though.

• Advertisement

Mullins says:
    "I'm delighted for the horse and owner but especially for David Casey who has been part of the team for a long time.

"I was certainly surprised how he handled the testing ground. I was hoping that, with a clear round, he may have too much speed for the others and turned out to be the case.

"We will go for the Gold Cup now. The better ground will really suit him."

Advertisement