Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mods too slow

Options
  • 23-07-2010 12:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭

Hey not sure if this is the correct area at all. Just a complaint about the Animal and Pet Issues forum(actually the Animal Welfare) section tbh.

That sub forum has been open awhile and as a regular user of API i actually think its totally pointless and unhelpful in general for the whole category.

The threads are pre modded which (sometimes) is a good thing to help defuse arguments, but it has taken days in some cases for posts to be updated. I dont understand why some of them are there tbh and are often moved for no reason.The lack of flexibility and updating in there is so bad it really needs to be scrapped or modded more frequently.
    :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,235 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Hi,

Feedforward isn't really the place for this. I would probably try PM'ing one of the API mods, a Rec Category Mod, they'd be able to provide you the best answer imo.

Meanwhile, I'm moving this to feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Very timely anniehoo :) The mods themselves have been in a lot of discussion about this. We have appointed two new mods as of yesterday so that should help speed things up. Please remember that all mods have another 'real' life too and it's holiday time so just because 3 mods were listed (5 now) does not mean that they are all available all the time.

EDIT: As this is a complaint about moderation I've moved it to Helpdesk, the proper place for such complaints.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I don't know whether this thread should be in Helpdesk or Feedback. It is not really a complaint - more a general observation. Sorry if it is in the wrong place and thanks for moving it if needs be.

I completely understand why the Animal Welfare forum was made pre-moderated. However, I feel it is not really working well and that it is stifling ordinary discussion of issues - not just preventing trolling or libellous statements.

It takes a long time for the posts to be modded and to be displayed. There is also no notice if your post has been deemed unfit to display, so you are left wondering for days if it is just slow modding, or if the post was not suitable.

Because you are not allowed to PM the moderators about your posts you have no way of knowing what was wrong with it. This is incredibly unhelpful. I am generally happy to accept mod decisions about what is suitable, but it would be nice to know what part of a post was not ok, so you could have the option of removing that part and having the discussion in a more acceptable way.

It seems very hard to know what is ok or not ok and I think this is very off-putting and certainly, it discourages me, and I think probably others, from posting.

Thanks for reading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Great! Hopefully that'll make a big difference. Its one of my favourite forums but just that particular section of it needs a bit more attention i suppose.

;)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Hi there

when you say "it takes a long time", what constitutes a long time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We are currently discussing the issues that you've highlighted in relation to the Animal Welfare forum and about the direction of that forum as a whole.

Myself and hadook have recently been added as moderators to the A & P Issues forum and so a greater effort will be made to approve posts in a timely manner. From my own experience I know that it has in the past taken more than 24 hours to see your post come up - by which time you've forgotten about the discussion or it's moved on. Obviously we can't give any kind of SLA on approving posts as we're all offering our time on a voluntary basis, but I personally would hope that most posts now get approved within a couple of hours of them being posted - depending on when they're posted, obviously.

When we have completed the discussion between us, I'll post here with what we plan to do going forward, and we will probably also post an annoucement on the AW forum too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Lads, I hope ye don't mind but I've merged these threads since they are exactly the same complaint.
    I realise this means that Miss Lockhart won't be able to post on this thread again but I feel that the query has been answered.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

As Seamus and r3nu4l have both said we are lookign into a major change in the A+P forum that should help sort out both of these complaints.

Just bear with us for a few days until we sort out the finer details.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

bonkey wrote: »
    Hi there

when you say "it takes a long time", what constitutes a long time?
    3 days has been the longest that ive seen and by that time as someone else said just there, you've gotten bored and/or forgotten what the thread was about.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

We've made a few small changes to this forum today, details here:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055980684

We will update charters, etc, and field any questions over the coming days.

• Advertisement
Advertisement