Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garmin 200W with 2010 maps and using OSM

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭

I have the latest maps on my garmin but I see that the Samuel Beckett bridge is not on it which is pretty poor by whoever makes the maps. Anyway, I read about openstreetmap and downloaded the latest Ireland map with contours and placed it with the proper filename on an SD card. Looking at Settings-Map-Map Info, it shows the OSM Map, OSM contours and Garmin maps, all checked.

But if I zoom into the quays, Samuel Beckett bridge is still not there and looking at the OSM map online its in their maps. So I decided to switch off the garmin map. Hey presto its there. But if I switch the garmin map back on, its gone :(.

Is there a way to merge the maps together on the device or by using mapsource on a PC? I thought that the map data from all would merge so I could view and have the best of both. I.e. the detail of the Garmin and the latest roads by OSM.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

There is no way of merging maps on the device, and the Garmin map files can not be easily worked with to make merging possible.

Multiple maps are loaded as layers and the Garmin map will be on top. It is not transparent so you must switch it off to see any other maps beneath.

For anyone making their own maps, transparency can be built-in.

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

I was talking to bazwaldo on #osm-ie irc channel.

Maps have different priorities where maps with the highest priority number are drawn on top of maps with a lower priority number. So if you want a map (eg contours) to be seen on top of another map and still be able to see both you need to set the map with the highest priorty as transparent.

So when CN is enabled it draws over the other maps as it has the highest priority and is not transparent.

Garmin's CityNav Maps have priority 30 and are not transparent.
    Talky-toaster Contour maps have priority 25 and are transparent
    Talky-toaster OSM maps have priority 25 and are not transparent
    Andrew's lang:en OSM maps have priority 25 and are not transparent

There is a tool GMAPTOOL that you can use to alter the priority and transparency settings.

It would prob be safer to change the OSM maps to have a higher priority and be transparent rather than setting the Garmin CN maps to be transparent.

Be very careful using this tool and if possible only use it to alter maps on an SD card so you can remove the SD card if device locks trying to load your altered map.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭bazwaldo

Transparency wouldn't work on the talkytoaster maps. When I switched to Andrews, it worked straight off. But the screen was mental. Way too busy.

It seems that the best option is to have your preferred map with a higher priority but have both maps on as they are both routable. But have transparency OFF.

Search is very poor on OSM therefore its worth having the basemap turned on even if you don't want to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭AndrewMc

bazwaldo wrote: »
    Transparency wouldn't work on the talkytoaster maps. When I switched to Andrews, it worked straight off. But the screen was mental. Way too busy.

When you say it was too busy, do you mean there was too much detail? Can you control the level of detail on your unit? The etrex Vista HCx I use has 5 levels of detail to choose from.

AndrewMc wrote: »
    When you say it was too busy, do you mean there was too much detail? Can you control the level of detail on your unit? The etrex Vista HCx I use has 5 levels of detail to choose from.

I mean you could see roads from the City Maps and also the roads from the OSM maps on top of each other and also the street names for both. I think there is a detail level to select but can't be sure. I'll check when I get a chance. I switched the OSM to opaque and just leave one map switched on now.

I started off with the city maps when I left Dublin on my way to Limerick and switched to OSM when I was driving through fields according to the Garmin. The OSM data had the latest M8 updates which the city map did not. The OSM worked perfectly except when I called into a small estate in Limerick as it did not have the road. Delighted I discovered the OSM stuff. Having the latest roads particularly motorways is a must and Garmin are far from up to date for them.

• Advertisement

The OSM data had the latest M8 updates which the city map did not. The OSM worked perfectly except when I called into a small estate in Limerick as it did not have the road. Delighted I discovered the OSM stuff. Having the latest roads particularly motorways is a must and Garmin are far from up to date for them.

Any chance you got a trace and the name of the missing estate in Limerick?

The great thing about OSM is that you have the power to update the map and see your changes appear quickly on the online map. Andrew's Garmin map is updated daily as well.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    Any chance you got a trace and the name of the missing estate in Limerick?

The great thing about OSM is that you have the power to update the map and see your changes appear quickly on the online map. Andrew's Garmin map is updated daily as well.

I doubt it as I have no idea how to trace. Can my Garmin do that or do I need a different device?

EDIT: By default I don't think it can. Certain models need a firmware update top enable tracking and others just won't (according to http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/02/11/garmin-nuvi-200w-can-use-tracking-function-now/)

I doubt it as I have no idea how to trace. Can my Garmin do that or do I need a different device?

EDIT: By default I don't think it can. Certain models need a firmware update top enable tracking and others just won't (according to http://www.jayceooi.com/2009/02/11/garmin-nuvi-200w-can-use-tracking-function-now/)

200W can't do tracklogging unless you apply some hacked firmware to enable the feature.

See this thread

You use this firmware at your own risk.

Alternatively you can leave notes on openstreetbugs.

Leave a note on the map indicating where the missing road is and its name. A local mapper might see your note and try to get a trace. You can use this for reporting any errors or omissons you spot on your travels.

http://openstreetbugs.schokokeks.org/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭sesswhat

The following works on a 200W I have. Of course you have to set it up before the event:

From http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Garmin/N%C3%BCvi_series
    On 3rd April 2009 dcnuvi and emmex, two users of the GpsPasion forum, discovered a new way to get to the (already known) hidden GPX track logging menu for some of the nüvi models. Just go to the Where Am I screen (by tapping on the vehicle symbol in map view mode or selecting "Where Am I" in tools menu). Than tap on the words "Nearest", "Address" and "Junction" in the following order:

* "Nearest" in "Nearest Junction" or "Nearest Intersection"
    * "Nearest" in "Nearest Address"
    * "Address" in "Nearest Address"
    * "Junction" in "Nearest Junction" or "Nearest Intersection"

This hack has been confirmed in the following model: 205.

Some firmware versions require a different key sequence:

* v5.00: Go to the Where Am I screen (by tapping on the vehicle symbol in map view mode or selecting "Where Am I" in tools menu). Then tap in sequence near the corners of the location text box: bottom left, top left, top right, bottom right.

You may have to try a few times to get it to work.

What you get is a menu which allows you to start/stop recording a track record into a file on the nuvi.

There is a small program called wNutrak which you can use to convert this file to a .gpx file for displaying on your own maps, or uploading to OSM.

That would be great if that works. I'll give it a go anyway! Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭nikon1000

You might be able to enable tracklogs on the nuvi, but can you turn off "Lock on road" ? Please don't upload to openstreetmap if you cannot.

nikon1000 wrote: »
    You might be able to enable tracklogs on the nuvi, but can you turn off "Lock on road" ? Please don't upload to openstreetmap if you cannot.

If you use the hacked firmware I believe lock-on-road is off

"I've created patched firmware for my nuvi 200w (HWID = 0737 - like boeing :))). v.4.00 that has following features:
    - enabled hidden tracklog menu
    - fast access to 'speedometer' (no need to hold on 5 or more seconds)
    - this tracklog stored in RAW format from the gps chipset - no 'lock on road' as in 7xx."

http://www.gpspassion.com/FORUMSEN/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=98909&whichpage=18

Advertisement