Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

OMFG the cheek!

Options
  • 23-07-2010 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I went into Jervis Shopping Centre with the OH to get a bagel in the food court. Sat down at a table and proceeded to chat etc. I moved my arm and noticed there was paint all over it and then picked my jacket up and there was paint all over that too. :eek:

There were no signs saying wet paint at all anywhere. So I went down and informed the security guy on duty. he came up had a look and took my details. then he told me to go to the information desk. I went down there and the lady behind the desk rang her manager. He said I should go and get it dry cleaned and bring them the bill.

So the lady said "I don't know if they can do anything for paint, hold on and I will get the painter down." So I stand there for over 20 minutes while the security guard and receptionist comment on how nice my jacket is.. and say "oh it's timberland, that's very good".... WTF it has paint all over it i don't want to hear how ****ing nice it "WAS"!

Then this absolute friggin tool of a painter comes down and no apology is offered by anyone at this stage:mad: He starts to say how it wasn't his fault he put signs up etc and that someone took them down... So I am standing here going mad and he offers to put white spirits on it for me:eek: I don't know whether that is the right thing so I start to agree and I get a look from the security guard and the painter is like " are you sure you want me to do this now"... I said "eh.. no I think I will go and get it done professionally and at this point I am raging so I walked off to find a dry cleaners. he continues calling me while trying to get some other painter down to tell me it is ok to do it etc. I stormed out of the place in a rage.

My point is this is absolutely ridiculous. Luckily for me I was out on a day off with the OH and I had the time to go and get my clothing cleaned but I easily could have been on a break from work or anything. And this asshat doesn't even say sorry :mad::mad: So I have to wait until tuesday to get my clothes back and then I have to go in and get a refund from the Jervis. that is if the paint comes out alright.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jay-me

Not sure if this is in the right forum if it's not can MOD's move it at their discretion . Thanks

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Bigger fool you to storm out of the place and pay to have your jacket cleaned, its their paint that destroyed it, its not your problem about the signs and where they may or may not have gone.

Bottom line they should have resolved the issue, a spirits on your clothes is likely not the way to do this so you should not have agreed.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

It's tought to keep a cool head in such situations. You need to get confirmation from the management at Jervis that they will pay for the cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,870 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

It sounds like they handled it well and offered to pay for it to be fixed. Bit of a pain but accidents happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,995 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Oil based gloss paint. As a painter for 3 years, those clothes are gone. Spirits would have spread the paint, removed most of it and then left the rest ingrained into the fabric. Plus it does damage to the fabric itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

It sounds like they handled it well and offered to pay for it to be fixed. Bit of a pain but accidents happen.

No they didn't they offered to pay the cleaning bill but YOU CAN'T CLEAN SPIRIT BASED PAINTS.

Only way to fix it is to buy a new coat.

Edit> OP, this is one of those times when you need to put pen to paper and write a formal letter of compliant to the managment and ask for a written appology, recompence for your time (a day ruined etc), cost of replacement jacjet and an explaination of what they will be doing to prevent a similar situation happening again. Excuses like someone moved the signs are laughable when the area should have been closed off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

jay-me wrote: »
    Then this absolute friggin tool of a painter comes down and no apology is offered by anyone at this stage:mad: He starts to say how it wasn't his fault he put signs up etc and that someone took them down

If the painter put up 'wet paint' signs and later some knacker kids (who, let's be fair, aren't scarce around the Jervis Centre) removed said signs, why should the painter be obliged to apologize?

FruitLover wrote: »
    If the painter put up 'wet paint' signs and later some knacker kids (who, let's be fair, aren't scarce around the Jervis Centre) removed said signs, why should the painter be obliged to apologize?

For the reason you've just explained, because a sign is totally unsuitable in that sort of area. Only safe way would to be close that area off some how with a barrier and signs saying wet paint.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Cool down your temper and go to management. No shouting, no swearing. No need to rave over how ridiculous the situation is (Which it is, but ranting about it will do no good, it's easier for their management to help someone calm and concise than someone shouting at them). Have your facts ready - Where in the centre, what time, what seats. Express your disappointment, and state you are looking for a new jacket as compensation as the oil based paint is not removable. Management shouldn't have a problem.

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Cool down your temper and go to management. No shouting, no swearing. No need to rave over how ridiculous the situation is (Which it is, but ranting about it will do no good, it's easier for their management to help someone calm and concise than someone shouting at them). Have your facts ready - Where in the centre, what time, what seats. Express your disappointment, and state you are looking for a new jacket as compensation as the oil based paint is not removable. Management shouldn't have a problem.

All very valid points but I'd still say put it all in writing first and post it to them, at the very least that is going to forstall and possiblity of a similar episode of getting upset and storming out of a face to face "confrontation". If its in writing it means you mean business and gets far better results.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

I'd agree that writing is the best way, but tbh, if it only happened today or yesterday, it could quite easily get sorted today - If, of course, the response from the management isn't up to scratch, then get scribbling, or the management might well say "Well actually, I can't do anything, but if you write to *insert name and address here*, and they'll sort it out" then you'll have a valid point of contact and a name to follow up with, rather than writing to 'Dear Sir'!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭jpb1974

As mentioned previously - a calm, firm, well prepared face-to-face conversation is the way to go.

Hi just to clarify this is very early in the morning when we went in to the food court so I don't believe for a second that the sign was removed. Also I didn't lose my cool with the people I remained calm on the outside. I said goodbye to the receptionist and I stormed out because the painter was trying to persuade me to allow him to put white spirits on my clothes. And by storm out I mean I kept walking as he was calling me back.

The receptionist did give me the name and numbers of everyone involved and I guess I will have to wait until Tuesday to find out whether or not they managed to get the paint off. The dry cleaners said that they couldn't guarantee that they would be able to remove the paint so I asked if that was the case could they issue a letter stating that and they said they would. So I guess it is a waiting game.

Non the less I think the way it was handled left a lot to be desired particularly the fact that I didn't even receive an apology.

the fact that I didn't even receive an apology

Who did you expect to receive an apology from?

jpb1974 wrote: »
    Who did you expect to receive an apology from?

Oh I don't know.. How about the painter?? Or perhaps the people who employed him!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

If the dry cleaning does work then buy a replacement jacket and send them the bill. I cant see them disputing it.

Courtesy would have had someone from the Jervis shopping centre apologise. Even if knacker kids did rob the painters signs, it is still his and the centre's responsibility to ensure that it doesnt present a problem for the general public.

The painter said he put up signs and someone moved them.

To me it sounds like one of life's simple mistakes... an accident.

I'm sure nobody meant it to happen... shít happens sometimes.

The painter said he put up signs and someone moved them.

To me it sounds like one of life's simple mistakes... an accident.

I'm sure nobody meant it to happen... shít happens sometimes.

Yeah in most instances I would agree with you, but as I said this is very early in the morning. We were the only people in the food court and the place across hadn't even opened yet. Not to mention the painter wouldn't look me in the eye. Also the paint job had only been done and what's more the bagel attendant is directly facing where we were sitting and i doubt that she would have allowed some skanger kids to remove the signs without alerting someone.

I dunno...

I mean I'd be pizzed but I doubt I'd make an internet issue of it until such stage as you've found out whether you're going to get reimbursed.

You could end up with the price of a brand new jacket which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If Tuesday comes and they tell you to f off then we'd all have a rant.

I dunno...

I mean I'd be pizzed but I doubt I'd make an internet issue of it until such stage as you've found out whether you're going to get reimbursed.

You could end up with the price of a brand new jacket which wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If Tuesday comes and they tell you to f off then we'd all have a rant.

I only have the jacket a few weeks and the hassle of it was unnecessary to say the least. But the fact that no apology was given is why I am so p1ssed off!

• Advertisement

The thing is this is 'Consumer Issues' and nobody can give you any meaningful advice on not receiving an apology.

I don't actually think you're looking for advice here... just somewhere to rant and one or two people to agree with you. Don't take that as me taking a pop... I'm just addressing your grievance.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I found this line funny for some reason! :D
    jay-me wrote: »
    I stormed out of the place in a rage.

I thought the offer to pay for dry cleaning should suffice. If that failed, they most likely would have replaced the jacket (judging by the fact they had no probs offering to clean)

Seems your rage took over a little. Best to calm down in situations like that. It's the best way to make sure it works out in your favour.

Funny thing about this thread is that you're harping on about not receiving an apology... yet you haven't thanked a single person here for any of the advice offered to you so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

For some people apology means admitting liability, maybe that's why.
    Contact Jervis management and explain the situation them as suggested above.
    Don't get huffy and demand apologies, just say that the painters signs were insufficient (as they were gone) and what do they intend to do about your ruined clothes? Bring the jacket too.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭looksee

biko wrote: »
    For some people apology means admitting liability, maybe that's why.
    Contact Jervis management and explain the situation them as suggested above.
    Don't get huffy and demand apologies, just say that the painters signs were insufficient (as they were gone) and what do they intend to do about your ruined clothes? Bring the jacket too.

Well it sounds as though they were willing to accept responsibility anyway having offered to clean the coat. I think if the manager had started off with - look I'm really sorry, that area should have been closed for the painting - the whole situation could have been sorted more satisfactorily.

I think I would have reacted like the op, (though I can do annoyed without losing my cool :D) there was no need to get the painter involved, or have you standing around waiting for something to happen, the centre should have taken responsibility and just offered you the value of the coat if dry cleaning did not work. If it was the painter's fault they could have worked that out later, it should not have affected you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

if a small child had put their hands in the paint and rubbed it into their eyes there would be a screaming mob out to burn the place to the ground with the painter inside, the painter was not doing his job properly but at the end of the morning it is the centre management that have a duty of care to you and your clothes so as suggested write to them highlighting your disappointment with how they did not close off the area and how the painter failed to adequetly mark the area then ask them to reimburse you and compensate you for the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 john.r

I thought the offer to pay for dry cleaning should suffice. If that failed, they most likely would have replaced the jacket (judging by the fact they had no probs offering to clean)

Seems your rage took over a little. Best to calm down in situations like that. It's the best way to make sure it works out in your favour.

I believe OP already stated by that he meant walking away from the painter as he was calling him.

And as for jpb1974 I didn't see you offer any advice yet, your just looking for an argument!

OP as already stated if it isn't resolved through the dry cleaners write to the management and request compensation for a new jacket.

And as for jpb1974 I didn't see you offer any advice yet, your just looking for an argument!

Not at all. Post #13. Apology accepted.

The issue was resolved as far as the security guy and the lady in reception were concerned. The reason I walked away from the painter is because he was trying to convince me to allow him to put white spirits on my jacket.

Which as I said initially I was going to allow him to do so. but when he said "are you sure you want me to do this", I felt a bit weary. Then when I said no thanks he gets on the phone to another painter and tries to get him to come down and assure me that it was ok.

Not to mention his manner towards me in general.. he wouldn't look me in the eye and told me it didn't matter that it was an expensive coat. So yeah I was raging inside so I said thanks to the lady behind the desk and left.

Oh and fair point jpb1976. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,383 ✭✭✭91011

Its amazing how easy it would have been for Jervis to have had a very happy customer yet due to their stupidity the chances are the OP won't return.

The centre charges phenonemal rents even in the current climate, it also charge huge service charges.

If it was Fergal Quinn, he would have made a joke and brought the OP into a store and had a new jacket purchased there and then with an extra voucher as an apology and what was a problem would have turned out good for everyone.

Pity good old decent customer service doesn't exist in these places anymore.

Advertisement