Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LLETZ & Conceiving

• 23-07-2010 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭

Hi all,

Come this september I will be having the LLETZ procedure I had a biospy done earlier in the year so the infected area is quite large I have been reading up on whether it will be hard to try and conceive after the procedure and have been told by doctor I may have some trouble carrying

I was just wonder has anyone already had this done and whether or not they found they had problems with carrying? Im only 22 but my partner and I have been saving and plan on starting a family in next two years,

I know no two people are the same I'd just like to hear if anyone has gone through this and their experiences,

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,365 ✭✭✭hunnymonster

It shouldn't affect conception but a LEETZ that removes a significant amount of your cervix might affect you carrying to term. I was told I was fine after my first LLETZ but after my second, I was told that if I ever get pregnant I'll need to get stitch put in (google cerclage) but from reading up on it, I'm not convinced how effective it would be as the numbers of second trimester miscarriages still appear high. make sure the Gynae knows you're planning to start a family. As you say, each situation is different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭Sharlovesjohn

Thanks for your advise I have a appointment from a chat next week now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭crazy cat lady

I cared for many pregnant women who have had the LLETZ procedure in their medical history. For many women it doesn't pose a problem either with conception or with carrying the baby, but this is highly dependant on how much of the cervix is removed.

Your gynaecologist will be the best person to speak to both before and after the procedure. He/She will know exactly how much of the cervix has been excised and whether this will pose a problem during pregnancy. The cervical sutures are very effective if needed.

Hope this helps and good luck :)

Advertisement