Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPad

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭drunkymonkey

If anyone's into fitness get the app FullFitness, it's ideal!

Honestly one of the best put together apps I've tried, they thought of everything. It's very handy if you have a iPhone as well as the ipad because you can sync your data. Plan your workout on the ipad before you go to the gym and update your progress while there on your phone.

Get the free version and you won't be disappointed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

If anyone's into fitness get the app FullFitness, it's ideal!

Honestly one of the best put together apps I've tried, they thought of everything. It's very handy if you have a iPhone as well as the ipad because you can sync your data. Plan your workout on the ipad before you go to the gym and update your progress while there on your phone.

Get the free version and you won't be disappointed.

Doesn't seem to be a free version for the iPad.

culabula wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to be a free version for the iPad.

Thought that as well but look up 'fullfitness lite' :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

Thought that as well but look up 'fullfitness lite' :)

Thank you.

Thank you.

No problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,585 ✭✭✭jaykay74

The Book of Kells app was released at the end of last year. I know it was on sale for 12 euro but is free today. I'm downloading it currently. About 700mb in size. Thought it might interest some in here.

http://www.worldirish.com/story/27886-get-the-book-of-kells-ipad-app-free-for-st-patricks-day

Launched in November 2012, the iPad app quickly became the number one app in the app store.

You can see all 680 pages of the Book of Kells available in high resolution for the first time. One of the most famous illustrated manuscripts and the most elaborate manuscript of its kind to survive from the early Middle Ages, today, it is on display in the Library of Trinity College Dublin.

Features:

Following on from the international award-winning DVD-ROM, this app showcases the amazing decorative skills of the scribes and the rich and varied colours used in the drawings.
    Explore the finest details of 21 of the 9th century manuscript’s most decorated pages at up to six times their original size.
    Learn about the history of the book including where, when and how it was made
    Understand the meaning behind decorative symbols used throughout the manuscript
    Browse through over 600 examples of animals, initial letters and other decorative themes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

Anyone with a big telly and/or an AVR plus 5.1 surround system might like to get the new and free THX Tune-up app for iOS.

Found it quite impressive!

Not available in Ireland WHY:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

Anyone know of an app that allows you to use the ipad as a sheet of paper (like a refil pad in a lecture?) to just write on? Even better an app that allows you to make/draw notes on .pdf, .doc, etc files? Like if a lecturer made half the notes, say the diagrams (unlabelled), available and you wanted to write in the labels or notes?

Notes Plus might be what your looking for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Stab*City wrote: »
    Notes Plus might be what your looking for.

Paper would be good for drawings, love it for mock ups myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

I'm going home at the weekend and want to put some video files from my parents laptop onto my ipad for the train journey back. Is there an app that will allow me to copy the files onto my ipad?

The only solution I can think of is to put the files in Dropbox and then favourite them on the iPads Dropbox app. The computer my ipad syncs to is a desktop so I won't be able to bring that with me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I'm going home at the weekend and want to put some video files from my parents laptop onto my ipad for the train journey back. Is there an app that will allow me to copy the files onto my ipad?

The only solution I can think of is to put the files in Dropbox and then favourite them on the iPads Dropbox app. The computer my ipad syncs to is a desktop so I won't be able to bring that with me.

Download azul, vlc or ace player. then in itunes go to the apps tab, scroll to the bottom of the window and you will see a section for apps that can update files on the ipad. Choose the player you downloaded and import the video to that app. When you open the app on the ipad they should then be contained within.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭steve_r

Download azul, vlc or ace player. then in itunes go to the apps tab, scroll to the bottom of the window and you will see a section for apps that can update files on the ipad. Choose the player you downloaded and import the video to that app. When you open the app on the ipad they should then be contained within.

That's your answer - I also use AV Player HD but that's only cause it was the first one I found. Make sure the app supports the codec you want to use - I imagine all the ones named would.

steve_r wrote: »
    That's your answer - I also use AV Player HD but that's only cause it was the first one I found. Make sure the app supports the codec you want to use - I imagine all the ones named would.

Thanks for the replies, I take it this works with any computer i.e. not just the computer the iPad syncs with.

Thanks for the replies, I take it this works with any computer i.e. not just the computer the iPad syncs with.

Can't answer that I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Download iFunBox forget iTunes.

Get iMediaPlayer

That's all you need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Reeder for iPad (and Mac) is free until the release of v2. The best RSS app on either platform. The Mac and iPad versions currently only support Google Reader, which is being discontinued soon (thanks Google), but v2 will include support for other feed services.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭CombatCow

New game from an Irish developer for iPhone/ipad
    webtest1.png
    Juice Jumpers
    ---

Reeder for iPad (and Mac) is free until the release of v2. The best RSS app on either platform. The Mac and iPad versions currently only support Google Reader, which is being discontinued soon (thanks Google), but v2 will include support for other feed services.

Any idea what price this will be when v2 comes out? Can't check the appstore at the moment but will try the trial when I get a chance.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

steve_r wrote: »
    Any idea what price this will be when v2 comes out? Can't check the appstore at the moment but will try the trial when I get a chance.

It's not a trial. It's free. Once you have it you get v2 for free as well. Unless he decides to release the next version as a new app and re-charge all his users. But that seems extremely unlikely given the perilous state of RSS at the moment.

• Advertisement

It's not a trial. It's free. Once you have it you get v2 for free as well. Unless he decides to release the next version as a new app and re-charge all his users. But that seems extremely unlikely given the perilous state of RSS at the moment.

Ok, I misunderstood. Very worthwhile if V2 is free becuase I've read elsewhere that its a very good app

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭JohnnyRoyal

Hi,

Just got ipad mini so heres a few using at the moment. (had iphone for some time already)

Media Player - AvPlayer HD (had oplayer on Iphone and AcePlayer also) Have to re-inforce views on this app. After using many think the layout of AV Player plus, subtitile option, also the ability to skip forward and back and the wifi transfer option all put this ahead of the rest. Plays most files i've thrown at it.

Splashtop Remote 2. - Combined with the above can now open up mac mini/pc, use it find datbase of movies or tv shows (or also to download something you want/ torrents etc) then open up browser on mac/pc and use the wifi of app above to tranfer directly to ipad without leaving your couch or hooking up wires etc. Also have a paid subscription remote version which I've not tested though.

Remotes - Plex and Rowmote - very good remote apps. Plex media server on mac mini if hooked up to tv is complete entertainment system combined with remote app. Also Rowmote is great for all other appilcations.

Music - Songza - can't rate this enough , unfortunately could only get it in US Store but this app see's what your are doing (cooking jogging, chilling etc) then gives you a range of playlists to accompany your activity mood. Some excellent playlists there too if your open to finding new music. Can also just go through genre. Its also free. Along with Tune in Radio and Spotify some of the best music apps.

Browser + Downloads. Atomic Browser is excellent and allows you to open up things in different formats ( so pages won't open up as mobile page etc) also allows downloads from most pages and of most files. Not the greatest player of files but can easily transfer file to AVPlayer via itunes.

Readers - PDF Reader & Kindle. For Books Kindle works well once in the correct format. For files PDF reader is excellent and also allows the use of storing in cloud to share across devices.

Hope people find some of the above useful.

Rgds

JR

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Are there any ad block apps?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Free game for iOS, Horn, normally costs a few euros: http://ie.ign.com/prime/promo/free-horn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭AntiRip

Misticles wrote: »
    Are there any ad block apps?

Weblock is supposed to be really good. Uses a proxy I think to block ads everywhere on iPad from games to surfing. No JB required. Also adblocker is good in Cydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

I put all of my apps from my phone onto my iPad mini.... I was surprised when I opened some that they were still phone sized :(

Well, obviously, yeah. The iPad isn't just a big iPhone. Apps have to be developed specifically for it. Some apps are universal and are designed for both iPhone and iPad, but not all. Check on the App Store and see there's an iPad version of the apps.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭gammon_steak

Hi, I was hoping to get the Irish Sunday Times for iPad but can only seem to find the UK one. Is it not available? Are there any Irish Sunday papers for iPad?
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Misticles wrote: »
    I put all of my apps from my phone onto my iPad mini.... I was surprised when I opened some that they were still phone sized :(

Do you realise that in the bottom right hand corner theres a small round icon you can press to have iphone apps scaled up to ipad size? It's still not a dedicated ipad app but it does at least fill the screen and look the part when scaled up.
    Hi, I was hoping to get the Irish Sunday Times for iPad but can only seem to find the UK one. Is it not available? Are there any Irish Sunday papers for iPad?
    Thanks.

I don't think there's an Irish Sunday Times available online ,there are some other papers available though. Get the app Press Reader and it will list a lot of them and makes them available to purchase and download within the app.You can subscribe or buy individual issues. The Sunday Business post also has it's own subscription based app although last time I used it I wasnt very impressed.

Advertisement