Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apps for iPad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Earthhorse wrote: »
    It's also worth downloading the 12 Apps of Christmas app; a fee app every day from yesterday for 12 days. It's always a mixed bag but might give you an idea of the kind of apps that are out there.

I just noticed this typo. I of course meant to say a free app every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,053 ✭✭✭Doge

Can anyone recommend the best tv guide apps for iOS 7?

I have YO.TV aka TV Guide UK which is great, however it lacks a featured page of programmes.

It comes as 4 different apps on the appstore but they all seem identical.

So for featured programmes i tried On Air, but it shows feck all programmes and even about 8 duplicates of one show!

288246.jpg

Bit crap tbh.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative to On Air for featured or suggested programmes?

This would save you having to trawl true the schedule of every tv channel.

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Go to the overview mode in On Air to see everything.

Go to the overview mode in On Air to see everything.

You obviously didnt read my post properly. I can see everything just fine in YO.TV.

I am looking for an app that shows featured / suggested programmes, and On Air just does not cut it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭Dr.Winston O'Boogie

Is the Daily Mirror app only free for the first month? Saying its 7.99 a month now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭markc1184

niallo24 wrote: »
    Is the Daily Mirror app only free for the first month? Saying its 7.99 a month now?

Think it's only the Monday to Friday papers you can recieve for free. The weekend editions have to be paid for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

waveform wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend the best tv guide apps for iOS 7?

I have YO.TV aka TV Guide UK which is great, however it lacks a featured page of programmes.

It comes as 4 different apps on the appstore but they all seem identical.

So for featured programmes i tried On Air, but it shows feck all programmes and even about 8 duplicates of one show!

Bit crap tbh.

Can anyone recommend a decent alternative to On Air for featured or suggested programmes?

This would save you having to trawl true the schedule of every tv channel.

Thanks.

Zeebox is very good i think
    https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/zeebox/id454689266?ls=1&mt=8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

Cheers for that excellent app!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

What the hell is all the 'Data usuage' memory apps are using? Facebook's app had over 300MB taken up in data usage. Twitter is also bad for it.

Chome has 320MB taken up in it too, which seems large but maybe it's not for a browser? The social apps I know are crazy big.

Keno wrote: »
    What the hell is all the 'Data usuage' memory apps are using? Facebook's app had over 300MB taken up in data usage. Twitter is also bad for it.

Chome has 320MB taken up in it too, which seems large but maybe it's not for a browser? The social apps I know are crazy big.

Its their cache of webpages that's taking up the space. Simple way to fix that, delete the app and install it again. It will free up space.
    Its something you'd need to do regularly though if you're worried a out space.

If you're jailbroken theres a nifty app called icleaner.

• Advertisement

waveform wrote: »
    Its their cache of webpages that's taking up the space. Simple way to fix that, delete the app and install it again. It will free up space.
    Its something you'd need to do regularly though if you're worried a out space.

If you're jailbroken theres a nifty app called icleaner.

Wow, that's a lot of cache. You'd think there would be a clear cache button instead of having to delete the app.

Wow, that's a lot of cache. You'd think there would be a clear cache button instead of having to delete the app.

The facebook app is essentially a browser when you think of it, press an external link and it opens the page within the app itself.

Not to mention all the facebook and youtube videos you'd watch on a good day.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The OS automatically clears it.

The OS automatically clears it.

Then why has it built up in my apps memory?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

It’s a cache. The app might need it, so the system only deletes it when the device is running low on space.

Where are you getting this stat from? Are you sure it’s memory being used and not mobile data usage?

It’s a cache. The app might need it, so the system only deletes it when the device is running low on space.

Where are you getting this stat from? Are you sure it’s memory being used and not mobile data usage?

It's in usage. Twitter, for example, is 30MB in size but it's documents and data is taking up a further 200MB and counting.

Yeah it's the cache. I wouldn't worry about it. The OS will take care of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,939 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Yes, I’ve even seen it doing it. When attempting to install a new app “cleaning” will appear below other apps as the OS attempts to free up some space. However the install can still fail if it decides it needs it. I’d recommend freeing up space in these instances by deleting unused apps or documents rather than manually clearing the cache by re-installing existing apps. Much like on a computer, you should to leave a certain amount of memory free for caching and other temporary data. 1 to 2 GB if you can. Many apps need it run to properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Can anyone recommend a good app for tracking daily spending? I need something that allows you to have multiple bank accounts and ideally free :) Not so worried about setting budgets for each category, more just want to be able to easily and quickly keep track of where my money is going. I've tried iExpense which is ok, but it only lets you have one account and also ExpenseFree which gives you multiple account but I don't know if I like it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I used Money Monitor for a bit and found it great.
    https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/money-monitor-free-account/id537916781?mt=8

It lets you set up your own catagories and expenses etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,157 ✭✭✭shanec1928

Patww79 wrote: »
    theres loads of drawing apps, sketchbook by autotask, paper, procreate etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I’ve 49 euro sitting for months in my apple account. Tell me some apps/games worth spending money on (no IAP’s or subscriptions). Cheers.

I’ve 49 euro sitting for months in my apple account. Tell me some apps/games worth spending money on (no IAP’s or subscriptions). Cheers.

What are your interests besides games?

Art set pro is an amazingly easy to use and organic art app if you like digital painting or drawing or even just doodling for fun.
    There's a free version that's called merely "Art Set".

And a new more complicated but powerful product called Art Set 4.

It's simulation of materials is incredible

Also just have to point this out, the app recommendations seem to have died a death in the iOS forum.

The android forum is the polar opposite with almost daily updateds from Regulars like Corkie.

I think this needs to be balanced a bit as iOS is still king for creativity and this is coming from a hardcore android user!

Doge wrote: »
    What are your interests besides games?

Art set pro is an amazingly easy to use and organic art app if you like digital painting or drawing or even just doodling for fun.
    There's a free version that's called merely "Art Set".

And a new more complicated but powerful product called Art Set 4.

It's simulation of materials is incredible

Yeah stuff for the pencil would be great. Drawing or even CAD type stuff (would love Shapr3D but I’d need an awful lot of €49’s for that!). Any good project or time organisation apps?

Doge wrote: »
    Also just have to point this out, the app recommendations seem to have died a death in the iOS forum.

The android forum is the polar opposite with almost daily updateds from Regulars like Corkie.

I think this needs to be balanced a bit as iOS is still king for creativity and this is coming from a hardcore android user!

I find not being able to get the refund after a quick try of a paid app very prohibitive on iOS. People probably don’t try as many apps because you don’t really know what you’re getting before shelling out. Not sure why there’s so few reviews on the App Store compared to Google Play too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, this thread used to be great for recommendations. Not sure why it died off. Maybe people found better places to source new stuff.

Advertisement