Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Apps for iPad

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

DeVore wrote: »
    I installed 4.2 last night (my god but that was a long install, 4-5 hours of backup and then about 30 minutes of install in total).

Filmon works fine, I decided to have a recheck of the quality to check my answer above. Tbh, I would have to reduce my estimate there, I would say its probably more abour 60-100 mb an hour... it isnt a particularly high quality stream.

DeV.

My install took about 20mins. How often do you backup? Further 10mins to rejailbreak and that was all. Filmon works fine for me too and I think your correct with your estimate.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hadnt backed up before that as I dont really keep any information that I care about on the iPad, its purely for browsing/gaming for me...

I didnt know that 4.2 was jailbreakable?

DeV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

I hadnt backed up before that as I dont really keep any information that I care about on the iPad, its purely for browsing/gaming for me...

I didnt know that 4.2 was jailbreakable?

DeV.

But if your ipad goes into safe mode for instance or you need to do a restore, if you don't restore from a backup you will have to start from scratch which is tiring a time consuming. You don't necessarily need to have important info on it. Each to his own though.

Anyway, yep 4.2.1 is jailbreakable. Using redsnow you can perform a tethered jailbreak which is what I have done for my iPad and iPhone. I would rarely update my iOS unless it was jailbreakable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Wait for a better jailbreak to come out, I did mine yesterday and ended up with no safari and cydia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I can't seem to run veetle or film on on my iPad after a couple of seconds the streams just freeze :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

ussjtrunks wrote: »
    I can't seem to run veetle or film on on my iPad after a couple of seconds the streams just freeze :(

Filmon won't work on iPads. Don't know about veetle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

I had hassle with filmon after installing 4.2 until I restarted the iPad.

Fine now though with more channels too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭thecivvie

Never had a problem with Filmon on my iPad.

Join Ireland Weather Network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

jakdublin wrote: »
    Filmon won't work on iPads. Don't know about veetle

¿Que? It works fine since 4.2.1.

• Advertisement

Filmon is an amazing app/site. Thanks for the tip, it really adds a lot of value to the iPad.

I'm not that bothered about watching any of the xxx channels, but I've noticed that they appear on my iPhone but not on my iPad. Is there somewhere that you can customise the list of channels? I'm wondering if I'm missing anything else.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Maybe you havent scrolled the left hand side? (the channel list)?

Thats all I can think of as I see the expanded list of channels on my 4.2.1 ipad. BBC News FTW!! Why oh why cant I simply pay for a service like this, its ridiculous that they dont have that model worked out yet.

DeV.

Maybe you havent scrolled the left hand side? (the channel list)?

Thats all I can think of as I see the expanded list of channels on my 4.2.1 ipad. BBC News FTW!! Why oh why cant I simply pay for a service like this

No, I had scrolled over. They weren't there yesterday, but they are today. Weird.

I agree with you. It's funny that free to air channels don't just stream their service online anyway, I mean its in their interest to have as many viewers as possible. They could just launch an app like the way radio stations etc do. Nothing to stop premium channels doing the same for a fee.

I guess we'll have to make do with filmon etc for now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,958 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

No, I had scrolled over. They weren't there yesterday, but they are today. Weird.

I agree with you. It's funny that free to air channels don't just stream their service online anyway, I mean its in their interest to have as many viewers as possible. They could just launch an app like the way radio stations etc do. Nothing to stop premium channels doing the same for a fee.

I guess we'll have to make do with filmon etc for now.

I've noticed that those stations disappear from time to time. I had presumed it was a case that they were gone in the day time and there at night.

To be honest the only improvement I'd make to the app would be the ability to edit the channel list. It's an amazing app but those stations make the ipad something that you can't exactly leave lying around in case it fell into little hands, or even big easily shocked hands!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 445 ✭✭Pedro Monscooch

I've found the list freezes on me if i forget to have the app in landscape mode to begin with. Changing from portrait to the landscape mode which it prompts you to do messes it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I've found the list freezes on me if i forget to have the app in landscape mode to begin with. Changing from portrait to the landscape mode which it prompts you to do messes it up.

Thanks for that tip! It's been really bugging me that I couldn't scroll down the list, but I guess that's why.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,270 ✭✭✭Poochie05

I've noticed that those stations disappear from time to time. I had presumed it was a case that they were gone in the day time and there at night.

To be honest the only improvement I'd make to the app would be the ability to edit the channel list. It's an amazing app but those stations make the ipad something that you can't exactly leave lying around in case it fell into little hands, or even big easily shocked hands!

They seem to have moved those channels to the end of the list in their own folder labeled 'Adult Channels' now, that's an improvement I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭BrookieD

Filmon is bloody great tbh, not interested in the XXX stuff but the rest is great....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭nava

Another browser Dual browser free now. You can have 2 pages open at once on same view.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Has anyone used omnigraffle for the ipad? Looking at creating a form for my business that could be signed by clients when out and about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Just been looking for FilmOn in the app store and can't find it. It's hardly gone, is it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭mailrewop

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Just been looking for FilmOn in the app store and can't find it. It's hardly gone, is it?

it's a site you open in safari. www.filmon.com

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

mailrewop wrote: »
    it's a site you open in safari. www.filmon.com

Ah lovely. Thanks Liam.

Air Video...rocks!

I ended up going for an app called "Form Tools" over "Omnigraffle". You can import PDFs, insert text boxes, tick boxes & sketch areas. I've imported my companies work order form, it'll be pre-filled out before I get to a clients and I can just use a sketch area to have them sign it. Hopefully it works well. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Some new apps I've got which are good.

- Rage HD
    - Aweditorium

If you like playing music the Smule stuff is good too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

The filmon free ride seems definitively over.

culabula wrote: »
    The filmon free ride seems definitively over.

Mmm strange same here get You are not authorize when opening with the Ipad, works ok in PC and Iphone. 3 of them on Wifi connection with UPC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

A couple of channels working for me. Might be temporary. Was working ok yesterday

jakdublin wrote: »
    A couple of channels working for me. Might be temporary. Was working ok yesterday

Yes looks like most channels are working again, on a couple I get the error with "video could not be loaded ......."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

All working for me.

The adult channels have been grouped into one folder, so you need to click on that to enter the channel list for them.

Maybe this cause some issues when they were changing the layout?

adox wrote: »
    All working for me.

The adult channels have been grouped into one folder, so you need to click on that to enter the channel list for them.

Maybe this cause some issues when they were changing the layout?

I only started using it last week and were in 2 groups I think from middle of the week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 773 ✭✭✭Jakmeehan

For those jailbroken folk, check out Graviboard in cydia! It's fun :)

nava wrote: »
    Mmm strange same here get You are not authorize when opening with the Ipad, works ok in PC and Iphone. 3 of them on Wifi connection with UPC

Re film on

I'm finding it's not working at all and I'm getting that "you are not authorized" message on my iPod on 4.1 but filmon is working perfectly on my iPad 3.2.2 and has been all week.

Maybe it's something to do with the iOS your using?

Re film on

I'm finding it's not working at all and I'm getting that "you are not authorized" message on my iPod on 4.1 but filmon is working perfectly on my iPad 3.2.2 and has been all week.

Maybe it's something to do with the iOS your using?

They are working again today on Ipad and Iphone but my firmware is below

On Ipad iOS 4.2.1
    On Iphone 3g 4.1

Got the game "Steambirds HD" there last night and even playing the tutorial makes me happy I spent the 1.99 euro. Great turn-based game of dogfighting bi-planes from the steampunk milieu.

Civ Wars HD is also fun.

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Maldini2706

I just got the Djay app, it's pricy for the iPad at €15.99 but pretty cheap for what it is, would be a lot more expensive on PC or Mac. You can use it to mix manually if you want, and the audio can be split to preview a second song on headphones. It also has an automix feature which would be very handy for parties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭Boxfresh

Splashtop Remote Desktop!

Brilliant app. I'm running my windows laptop from my iPad. Try out the free version to try it out.

Cut the rope Xmas edition is out now for free.

Boxfresh wrote: »

Brilliant app. I'm running my windows laptop from my iPad. Try out the free version to try it out.

I have to second this. It's a fantastic app. It's now also available to use with Mac as well as PC. It's well worth paying for.

Dude that app kicks ass!

Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

Awesome app.

I also have vnc, but splashtop is much better as it also has audio.

I can now watch Hulu desktop and 100's of movies/tv shows on the ipad from my mac. sweet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Can't seem to install the Splashtop app on my Mac. When I run the download nothing happens.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Can't seem to install the Splashtop app on my Mac. When I run the download nothing happens.

Looks like the Mac file is a .dmg (disk image) and you will probably need to use toast or whatever disc burning software you currently have.
    Apple disc copy will open it, or if you're running Panther, disk utility.
    It should be in the Applications/Utilties folder.

edit
    I'm an idiot! I misread your post.

Just run the iPad version after you install the Mac version.

/edit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 110 ✭✭snowyeoghan

What do you mean nothing happens?

Does the app run? If so, and your getting "cannot connect to server" (or something like that), you need to edit your hosts file (/etc/hosts) so that:

127.0.0.1 localhost

is changed to

127.0.0.1 yourcomputername

yourcomputer name can be found under system preferences > sharing

tallus wrote: »
    Looks like the Mac file is a .dmg (disk image) and you will probably need to use toast or whatever disc burning software you currently have.
    Apple disc copy will open it, or if you're running Panther, disk utility.
    It should be in the Applications/Utilties folder.

edit
    I'm an idiot! I misread your post.

Just run the iPad version after you install the Mac version.

/edit

Nope, you were right actually. I had to open it with Disk utility and install from there. Normally, I don't have to do that.
    What do you mean nothing happens?

I meant just that. Nothing happened!

Have to admit that's a pretty cool app. Maybe a little clunky to control? But I won't condemn so quickly having not spent time getting used to it. I think these remote type apps are my favourite, like ZumoCast, it just feels like the future.

I think these remote type apps are my favourite, like ZumoCast, it just feels like the future.

I agree, it'll be Really handy if you want to use the ipad set up a download on the home pc from work, and have it finished by the time you get home :)

• Advertisement

Or...or...if you know your flatmate is on a day off, give him a call and ask him to go into your room because you think you left your Mac on. When he does you just start writing a message to him on screen but he'll think it's a g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-g-ghost! :eek:

Hahah! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

So have I got this right? While the likes of Plex,Airvideo, Zumocast let you stream and some cases download from your main server, this one actually let's you fully control it from your iPad? Ie, download files to your Mac/PC using your iPad?

Yes. It's a remote desktop application.

adox wrote: »
    So have I got this right? While the likes of Plex,Airvideo, Zumocast let you stream and some cases download from your main server, this one actually let's you fully control it from your iPad? Ie, download files to your Mac/PC using your iPad?

It also lets you edit documents ,set up downloads, you can watch flash eg. RTE player thats playing on your PC on your ipad and if you did happen to forget something thats on your PC at home you could access it or easily email it to yourself if you had to print it or whatever. It's also excellent for controlling your pc if you have it attached up to the telly but aren't sitting near it, like when you're watching a film. I could go on. It's all kind of useful!

• Advertisement
Advertisement