Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best players to never be capped by their country?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,014 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Degag wrote: »
    Are you serious or are you just anti-united? Sebastiano Rossi didn't get a call up because of the defense infront of him, yet Bruce didn't get a call up because Schmeichel was behind him, Irony? (i know you didn't allude to this, it's more of a comment on the overall thread)

However what i don't understand is how you accept that Bruce didn't get a chance but wonder how Cudicini didn't even though he sat on the bench collecting cheque after cheque every year for a long time.
    I think he is talking about Pallister tbh.

Even so, Bruce was an excellent player. Again it was just at the time he was nowhere near a call up. You had Viv Anderson, Terry Butcher, Mark Wright, Des Walker and Pallister of course. Then the likes of Adams and Keown started coming through too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

John Lukic imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Cypher_sounds

If Phil Neville has 59 caps for England i cant see how David May doesn't have 1 at least.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

Ruel Fox was very handy for a few years while at Norwich/Newcastle but never won more than a B cap.

Ah but he won two caps with footballing giant Monserrat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

Steve Heighway was never capped by his country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Juan Pablo

eagle eye wrote: »
    Laurent Charvet stands out to me as a great player never capped by his country. I'd say there is a lot of French, Distin hasn't played for France either.

+1, he is certainly up there with the likes of Christian Negouai as a great French player never to have played for France.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,415 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Steve Heighway was never capped by his country.

What?

ireland.jpg

ziggy wrote: »

Yes Spain, thats where he was born, why what country do you think he qualifies for?

Edit: Novo has played an 'international' friendly for Galicia against Iran in 2008 where he scored 2 goals, Galicia is in Spain and isn't affiliated with FIFA or UEFA because the nationality is represented internationally by the Spanish National Team.
    The Galicita Team only plays friendly matches.

That is interesting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭RichTea

Bert Trautmann!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Ive been racking my brain all morning... wasnt there a case of a famous spanish footballer who wouldnt play for spain and instead played for catalonia?

Didnt Valdez just get a call up for the frist time during this world cup... never capped though... not suprising really

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

101001 wrote: »
    Ive been racking my brain all morning... wasnt there a case of a famous spanish footballer who wouldnt play for spain and instead played for catalonia?

Oleguer Presas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭stumpypeeps

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What?

ireland.jpg

I was actually tring to be smart by suggesting that Heigway was really english, like Townsend etc... Much to my surprise Heighway was actually born in Dublin. Although he seems to have been brought up in England. So apologies. I'll be quiet now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭101001

Oleguer Presas?

Now there is a fascinating and quite out spoken individual

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

Paulo di Canio deserves a mention I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Surely, he'll be capped in the future but Mauro Zarate hasn't been capped yet.

Maxwell has never been capped either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

TonyD79 wrote: »
    Steve Bruce is a United Legend, fair enough speed wasnt his best assest but considering the likes of Upson get English caps these days its a crime he never got one. And to say Pallister carried him is total crap..Bruce got done by speedy players like Fowler and Romario while Vidic as been done by Torres and Bellamy most recently. The fact these players were super fast/ world class seems to have been glaringly missed! Saying Bruce wouldnt have coped in the modern game is BS. Paul Mcgrath would find it though going with the amount of games and speed of the league in fact you would most certainly would only see him play the odd game like King does for Spurs.

I'm sorry but what has Matt Upson getting capped nowadays got to do with Steve Bruce not getting one around 20 odd years ago?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,421 ✭✭✭major bill

Jackie jameson, he was regarded as one of the LOI greatest ever players and one of the best to never go to england.

Jaysuss man/woman I already said going by his performances against Celtic which is the only ones ive seen of him and he looked decent, i never said he SHOULD be capped of course he wouldn't have a hope with their current/recent squad and you don't need to point out what Spain have won to me, i dont see you coming up with anyone, just giving criticism, forgive me for posting at all like.

The fact is that he has never been capped by his Country

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

duncan edwards?? not sure if he was capped but he was one of the greatest players at his time and was a tragic waste of talent..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

oconnon9 wrote: »
    duncan edwards?? not sure if he was capped but he was one of the greatest players at his time and was a tragic waste of talent..

Did you see him play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭Pinturicchio

titan18 wrote: »
    Surely, he'll be capped in the future but Mauro Zarate hasn't been capped yet.

He's not good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,014 ✭✭✭✭titan18

He's not good enough.

I think he's a pretty good player tbh, was good for Birmingham, and in his first season at Lazio, played well for the Argentinians U-20s a few year agos too.Won't get a regular shot in the Argentinian side with Messi,Di Maria and Aguero around, but he's good enough to earn a few caps.He's better than some of the players who've been capped recently for Argentina.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 391 ✭✭oconnon9

Did you see him play?

yes on tv. same as pele, georgie best etc..

many pundits, ex players cant speak highly enough of his ability.

However just checked it there, he made 18 caps before he died aged 22, so the quest continues for the best ever uncapped player!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Paul Osam

200px-Professional_football_%28soccer%29_player_Paul_Osam.jpg

He was just awesome, had some issues but from 90 onwards other than Keane its mad Osam never got a cap other than his issues he played his entire career in ireland. Superb CM wanted the ball all the time and if he didnt have it he got it.

/heary overtook him with most league medals recently, not right tbh Osam should be recognised as most league medals but Paul Marney kinda affects that result.

LOL

Aye *shakes head*

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Dammo

Billy Bonds, Julian Dicks

Advertisement