Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

nore swim 2010

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭

Hi there i'm just wondering if anyone has any info on how to go about taking part in this years nore swim.Do you have to get sponsers or is it a case of turn up and jump in.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

I'm doing it. I got an application form from the Kilkenny County Council offices. I still haven't filled it out and handed it in though. I got sponsorship forms as well but I don't think you have to worry about those. Ask them when you get the form.

As for the swim-I did a dry run (ha) last Sunday. Actually I ended up swimming about twice the distance, down by the weir. It's a piece of piss.

• Subscribers Posts: 4,419 ✭✭✭PhilipMarlowe

It's a piece of piss.

Unfortunate-choice-of-words of the week award....

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

I'm doing it. I got an application form from the Kilkenny County Council offices. I still haven't filled it out and handed it in though. I got sponsorship forms as well but I don't think you have to worry about those. Ask them when you get the form.

As for the swim-I did a dry run (ha) last Sunday. Actually I ended up swimming about twice the distance, down by the weir. It's a piece of piss.
    did you wear a wet suit see i don't have one myself so if i do the swim i'll have to go comando (well with shorts) i'm off to donegal on sat so i'll have a go in the water up there for the laugh.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭builttospill

lee70 wrote: »
    did you wear a wet suit see i don't have one myself so if i do the swim i'll have to go comando (well with shorts) i'm off to donegal on sat so i'll have a go in the water up there for the laugh.:)

I'm actually from Donegal and I was swimming in the ocean up there a few weeks ago. The Nore isn't as cold but it's still pretty chilly. I was supposed to wear a wetsuit in the Nore but I only noticed a couple of nights before that the one I had was too small. I just went in wearing a pair of shorts. For the first minute I was catching my breath but it was fine after that. Once you get into your rhythm it's grand. I probably will wear a wetsuit for the race cos my friend has a really good racing one that I can borrow. You'll be fine without though. Your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

Awful awful awful website.

It doesn't tell you how much it costs or how long the course is (I'm guessing about 800m but I don't really care, a mate of mine who is into water safety had to ring me to ask about the two bridges involved because it doesn't have any proper info on their site).

The FAQ page doesn't have any Q on it and the gallery is devoid of pics (which, we are assured, are 'coming soon').

What is does have in spades though is a long and irrelevant shpeel about King Edward VII in 1903 blah blah BORING. FFS put some proper information on the site will you, Eoin Mulhern 'Industries'? And sort out those links at the top, they are poorly aligned.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,234 ✭✭✭ayatollah

in the interest of full disclosure i should probably say that that was me who designed the site.

not my best work but it was a rush job and i was low on content and had some issues uploading images and the like.

not making excuses - just saying.

but yeah i think it would be fair to say not my finest work. sorry your friend didnt find it of use.

please relay my apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

Was the swim a success.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

ayatollah wrote: »
    in the interest of full disclosure i should probably say that that was me who designed the site.

not my best work but it was a rush job and i was low on content and had some issues uploading images and the like.

not making excuses - just saying.

but yeah i think it would be fair to say not my finest work. sorry your friend didnt find it of use.

please relay my apologies
    i found the web site helpfull and i have seen worse. well done and keep up the good work for county and city.

Advertisement