Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Couple of games into the demo and I am enjoying it. Pity it is short but still. Most games going to penalties (which the AI seems poor at!). Haven't drilled penalties practice yet but it seems like a better system.

Looking forward to playing some more (and perhaps getting local multiplayer going if that is indeed an option).

🤪

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Hi Rooney10

Just to comment on your post :)

In regards to our pricing. We're obviously a smaller player in the market than Game / Gamestop etc who get significant discounts off publishers for massive bulk buying. We also have postal and packing costs associated with sending out the games which they don't have. Lastly the bigger players tend to make little to no margin on new games and then make enormous margins on pre owned games to balance it off. The RRP for Fifa 11 is €59.99 which means that according to EA sports etc everyone should be selling their game at €59.99 and the cost price to us reflects that. At €52.99 we make anything from €1.50 to €3.50 profit depending on the payment method chosen by the customer which I think you'd agree isn't too much. By giving out a €5.00 voucher we are making a loss on every game we sell here and viewing it as a marketing spend.

There is a similar situation with Halo Reach in that the cost price to us is very high - indeed if Game are selling this locally at €44.99 they are selling it cheaper than we buy it from microsofts distributors here. :( Obviously from a customers point of view price can be king and we won't fall out with you over it but I would be at pains to point out it's not because we are gouging people. We're offering the best we can within the cost prices we have to play with but we can't compete with anyone loss leading like that.

Fifa 10 can be purchased pre owned from our site for €15.99 delivered at the moment which is a lot cheaper than the €21.99 - € 24.99 currently being charged by the bricks and mortar sites. Cost price to us for Fifa 10 remains the same as when it first came out - we've no stock to clear out as such and therefore have not reduced the price.

Ah cool, just giving my two cents and pointing out GAMES double reward points offer as I didn't see it mentioned here before.

Sorry, didn't intend to drag the thread off topic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

I hope its just a matter of getting used to, buy so far give me Fifa 10 anyday before this game.

Thay have screwed up the whole Off-side thing. The Ref calls a free even if the offside player doesnt interfere with the play.

The passing is a bit of a joke, doesnt go to the player you want it to go to. Again, I hope its just a matter of getting used to.

The Penalties are a disaster. Fifa 10 was better in this department imo.

Hitting the Woodwork sounds dodgey!

Its slower aswell, which im not sure off.

Against computer on intermediate I found it hard to get a shot in, never mind a goal. And im a decent player. I found most of the play was passing round midfield, and battleing with a defender for possesion.

ON the Plus- freekicks/corners good. computer AI good. Keepers improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭-gilly-09-

:confused:
    Has anyone noticed when a ball is pulled back across the face of goal for a "tap in" that the comp automatically takes a shot or attempts to score I play on all manual and have noticed it 3 or four times. This could be and probably is my imagination. I can’t see why this would be in the game. But just taught id ask to see if it has happened to anyone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

i don't know why there's so many complaints about the penalty system, yes at first they might be hard cause its new but its miles better than fifa 10 and im glad they took if from fifa wc as it was one of the best features of the game. practice in the arena and turn on the targeting aid to show where your aiming and take it easy with the left analog when aiming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Thay have screwed up the whole Off-side thing. The Ref calls a free even if the offside player doesnt interfere with the play.

Definitely agree. Its the biggest annoyance.
    The Penalties are a disaster. Fifa 10 was better in this department imo.

Love the penalties, if you want to be good at them in real life, you have to practice, its the same in the game. No penalty taker strolls up and arrows it right in the corner every time! It becomes more difficult (composure bar green spot shrinks), the more pressure on the penalty taker.
    Hitting the Woodwork sounds dodgey!

It does sound ridiculous, not sure why they changed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

-gilly-09- wrote: »
    Has anyone noticed when a ball is pulled back across the face of goal for a "tap in" that the comp automatically takes a shot or attempts to score I play on all manual and have noticed it 3 or four times. This could be and probably is my imagination. I can’t see why this would be in the game. But just taught id ask to see if it has happened to anyone else.

I over the last few months have played all manual too mate... IMO fifa 11 is gonna benefit the manual player. Liking the option for power bar to be turned on/off for people who might decide to gradually convert to all manual settings... never again will I play assisted, nothing like having total control over each pass and shot even if Im slowly but surely improving:pac: Scored any long range dingers yet??

Fowler87 wrote: »
    I over the last few months have played all manual too mate... IMO fifa 11 is gonna benefit the manual player. Liking the option for power bar to be turned on/off for people who might decide to gradually convert to all manual settings... never again will I play assisted, nothing like having total control over each pass and shot even if Im slowly but surely improving:pac: Scored any long range dingers yet??

Ye once you go manual you never go back:D its so much better feels more realistic and rewarding when you do score goals. Takes a lot of practice and can be very tedious. You’ll be banging them in eventually. Have found Fifa 11 long range a lot easier than WC and 10 BUT one on ones seem harder. Manual all the way tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Had a good few games and i think its plays really nice, its a good step in the right direction. A few things bothered me a litte, about the balance of the game.

I gave away a penalty and then it doesn't even give you a replay of the incident, which i found a bit odd.

Not a fan of the penalty system can't really understand how people think its the bees knees as it feels very clunky to me. I mean in theory the compossure bar is a good idea but it just feels very arcade. Its almost like the old arrow for corners or targeter for free kicks, it takes the realistic feel out of the game for me.

Its also a bit strange that giving away a free kick is a worse punishment then giving away a penalty as they are easier to score.

Other then that I think its going to be a great improvement. I also like the addition that players have specific traits and specialities, though some are quite a bit more useful then others.

Have to download the PES demo though cause i am hearing good things so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Parawind wrote: »

Played it myself there last night, really didn't enjoy it. Thought the controls were slightly sluggish and the player movement in comparison to FIFA was awful.

Have to say though that I love the PES interface and its handy that you can play a full 10 minute game, but I ended up turning off after 70 mins of the game as I couldn't get an even half decent shot off and the game was just very boring.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

One ****ing annoying thing is that with messi he can't do runs thorugh players with ease.

I know they have to make him inneffective cause otherwise it'd be unfair but he'd useless in comparison to Cristiano. :mad:

Also the AI is ****ing amazing at blocks.

Ye once you go manual you never go back:D its so much better feels more realistic and rewarding when you do score goals. Takes a lot of practice and can be very tedious. You’ll be banging them in eventually. Have found Fifa 11 long range a lot easier than WC and 10 BUT one on ones seem harder. Manual all the way tho.

Too right, Il try and play ya in a few once 11 comes out... PSN is Haunis87 btw but Il be lurking on this thread//forum anyways. Wonder would there be enough interest in setting up a manual fifa boards league??

Also the AI is ****ing amazing at blocks.

But horse**** at penalties:pac:

The AI seem a lot better in general.Im liking the way the have the odd piece of magic when they are on the attack have been skint a few times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Not sure if it's just a flaw with the demo but when I was playing as Barca I played a long ball over the top for Messi to run on to. He started in line with Sami Hyppia and was outpaced to the ball by him. This was barely in to the first half so fitness had nothing to do with it. Just found it strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Parawind wrote: »

I gave away a penalty and then it doesn't even give you a replay of the incident, which i found a bit odd.

Not a fan of the penalty system can't really understand how people think its the bees knees as it feels very clunky to me. I mean in theory the compossure bar is a good idea but it just feels very arcade. Its almost like the old arrow for corners or targeter for free kicks, it takes the realistic feel out of the game for me.

Its also a bit strange that giving away a free kick is a worse punishment then giving away a penalty as they are easier to score.

Other then that I think its going to be a great improvement. I also like the addition that players have specific traits and specialities, though some are quite a bit more useful then others.

Surprised you don't like the penalties. Massive improvement IMO. Gone is the simple stick it left or right. Now you gotta hit the composure, hold to a certain power while moving the stick just enough to place it. They are pretty handy score.

Go Into the arena and press lt I think to bring up the practice reticule. It's very clever and adds a bit more skill to it.

I played the pes demo at a friends house. The passing is similar to fifas but even less accurate. It looks the business though and it still has that feel your actually controlling messi etc more so than FIFA does. The keepers are absolutely shocking though. Moving their arms out of the way to let the ball go in etc. And shooting seems to take a simple tap and you'll score. Big improvement on the last few years from them but FIFA still has it for me.

joe123 wrote: »
    Surprised you don't like the penalties. Massive improvement IMO. Gone is the simple stick it left or right. Now you gotta hit the composure, hold to a certain power while moving the stick just enough to place it. They are pretty handy score.

Wasn't that i disliked the penalties, i think the composure idea was good. I just wish there was a better way of implementing it. It's just the idea of having to hit the bar at a specific point feels arcade like and kinda ruins the realism of the match. It just kind of reminds you its a game and takes you out of the real match feel that the rest of the areas have.

I guess its just a pet peeve, but all the set pieces just being what you would see in a real match situation was a thing i really liked for previous fifa games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

This is not flamebait but owning a 360/PS3 i'd like to get a comparison on them.I think I remember Axwell(or maybe someone else) saying that the PS3 looked sharper a few months ago.I'd prefer a opinion of someone who has played both systems demo.

GTR63 wrote: »
    This is not flamebait but owning a 360/PS3 i'd like to get a comparison on them.I think I remember Axwell(or maybe someone else) saying that the PS3 looked sharper a few months ago.I'd prefer a opinion of someone who has played both systems demo.

Well i had FIFA 10 on both systems and the PS3 version had slightly nicer graphics, but i prefered the 360 controller so i played that more. The graphical difference is quite minimal so it would really be a matter of personal preferance. Can't speak for FIFA11 but i would assume its the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Is it just me or is anyone finding crossing and connecting with corners a right bitch to get right?

Not quite sure what you mean?When the A.I pulls the ball back across the goal they shoot automatically?.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

If they don't fix the penalties - lord bless us

unless you go right down the middle it's nearly impossible to score unless I'm doing it completely wrong - and the AI has to shoot their penalties somewhere other than straight down the middle...

I had a shootout end 2-1 after the 7th penalty today and I didn't dive for one penalty and half of my penalties ended up with my player slipping over on their arse...

has to be fixed or I won't be buying - Other than that I love the game - feels so much more better than 10 - and I'm winning on Pro difficulty - something I used never be able to do :D:D And I'm loving playing as goalie too

Just fix the penalties - seriously like - there awful - dead straight down the middle is the only way to have a hope like.. think I might have gotten one into the bottom left once in the arena after a fair few practice ones - but other than that I've only been able to score going down the middle

oh yeah - and hitting the post every second shot isn't fun either - and that clunky noise is so annoying if ya ask me - rub it more why don't ya that the post is a ball magnet... i know it's realistic but it's too loud I think...

From someone who has played alot of 10 and Wc on both there is no big diffrence the game seem's cleaner on PS3, maybe thats cause it looks a bit better, i dont no and on manual i think the 360 is controller is easier.
    Soby wrote: »
    Not quite sure what you mean?When the A.I pulls the ball back across the goal they shoot automatically?.

What i ment was when you pull the ball back across the six yard box for example to score a tap in the computer automatically attempts to score. It kinda feels like doing a one two but they have a pop. I tink its just me to be honest.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

johnmcdnl wrote: »
    If they don't fix the penalties - lord bless us

unless you go right down the middle it's nearly impossible to score unless I'm doing it completely wrong

half of my penalties ended up with my player slipping over on their arse...

sounds like your holding the left stick for too long. the best way to see how the penalty system works is to go to the arena and do some practise ones. before shooting press LT to turn on the aiming indicator, it helped to show me what was happening.

first thing to do do is press the shoot button when the composure indicator is in the centre, closer to centre, the better your peno. how long you hold the shoot button will determine the power, too much and it will b less accurate. final thing to do is aim. you can aim using the left stick while AND after the shoot button is held down. if you hold the stick to one side for too long you will see that the aiming indicator goes way off and the player usually falls, but practising with the indicator gives a much better idea of how the system works and how long to aim for

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Shzm

Soby wrote: »
    Is it just me or is anyone finding crossing and connecting with corners a right bitch to get right?

Yup, my crosses are going all over the shop

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I think I remember Axwell(or maybe someone else) saying that the PS3 looked sharper a few months ago.I'd prefer a opinion of someone who has played both systems demo.

Wasnt me anyways, havent played it on PS3

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

I own both. Played demo on both systems and to my, albeit untrained, eye can see no noticable differences on either.

BTW, PES demo looks better IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Axwell wrote: »
    Wasnt me anyways, havent played it on PS3

Sorry Axwell,but i'm sure someone who played it a few months ago mentioned it.Glad to hear their similar I'm useless at FIFA on the PS3 can't even win games i'd normally win 5/6-0 on the 360. Glad to hear PES is coming back a bit it'll keep EA on their toes.Cause Konami got real Lazy with PES at the start of this Generation,whereas FIFA flourished.I'd hate to see the reverse happen now, doubt it will though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭johnmcdnl

sounds like your holding the left stick for too long. the best way to see how the penalty system works is to go to the arena and do some practise ones. before shooting press LT to turn on the aiming indicator, it helped to show me what was happening.

first thing to do do is press the shoot button when the composure indicator is in the centre, closer to centre, the better your peno. how long you hold the shoot button will determine the power, too much and it will b less accurate. final thing to do is aim. you can aim using the left stick while AND after the shoot button is held down. if you hold the stick to one side for too long you will see that the aiming indicator goes way off and the player usually falls, but practising with the indicator gives a much better idea of how the system works and how long to aim for

ahh - i see i see - I was using the old way off aiming and holding the left stick to the bottom left corner say and they press SQUARE to shoot.. and it'd go straight to the bottom left - I'll have to get practicing with this new system so..

but my point still stand about AI's penalties - they really have to aim somewhere bar straight down the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭estadio

You didn't even practice them..... hence your problem.
    I did its just that when i aim at the center its fine. however when i try either of the top corners it goes wide. As for practicing penalties i never miss in fifa 10.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭mailrewop

estadio wrote: »
    I did its just that when i aim at the center its fine. however when i try either of the top corners it goes wide. As for practicing penalties i never miss in fifa 10.

its a different system though, you cant use the left analog stick the same way as you would in fifa 10.

Advertisement