Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

GTR63 wrote: »
    Axwell at the end of IGN article they teased Be a Pro Keepers did they mention this & did they mention any new game modes for this years game.

No mention of the controllable keepers it refers to in the article or new game modes but there is another pre launch information release due the end of August where they will reveal other stuff that hasnt been announced yet or at the event I was at. They tend to save some stuff till later so its possible.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 779 ✭✭✭Propane Nightmare

Did Rutter mention or discuss the problem of when players hold possession near their goal to waste time, that its near impossible to get the ball back as players just dont attack the ball. Im hoping in fifa 11 there will be an option using the dpad or something, to have all your players run to the ball and pressure the players wasting time.

Also, I hope they removed that annoyng pop up that comes up every time you go to play a online game, it says something about squad updates or something. Its pretty annoying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

Thanks for messaging back Axwell i'm just wondering have they changed the Heading it was very bad in last years game but was improved a bit in the World Cup Game.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The handball thing could be come very annoying. Momentum is a problem already I feel in the game and you get the ball hitting the ref ruining attacks. Now is handball just going to add to it?

Hopefully it wont be included in online games.

Axwell was anything mentioned on fixing the problem when players just start passing the ball back and over their backline to waste time?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Good work Axwell.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,661 ✭✭✭✭Helix

Axwell at the end of IGN article they teased Be a Pro Keepers did they mention this & did they mention any new game modes for this years game.

no BAP keepers or ref this year, but something that might be in future iterations according to rutter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Thanks for messaging back Axwell i'm just wondering have they changed the Heading it was very bad in last years game but was improved a bit in the World Cup Game.

I found the heading to be improved and also more realistic depending on the situation. As I sad a few posts back the way the player acts and the animation of them heading the ball represents the type of header wheather its a simple knock down to a team mate or a powerful header from a corner having a shot on goal or a headed clearance.

joe123 wrote: »
    Axwell was anything mentioned on fixing the problem when players just start passing the ball back and over their backline to waste time?

It wasnt mentioned but then again thats not a bug in the game thats down to the user time wasting and passing the ball around so I doubt there is much they can do about that in fairness.

Did Rutter mention or discuss the problem of when players hold possession near their goal to waste time, that its near impossible to get the ball back as players just dont attack the ball. Im hoping in fifa 11 there will be an option using the dpad or something, to have all your players run to the ball and pressure the players wasting time.

Also, I hope they removed that annoyng pop up that comes up every time you go to play a online game, it says something about squad updates or something. Its pretty annoying.

Again it wasnt mentioned but as with Joes question that isnt a bug or a glitch so its not a game based problem its again down to the user time wasting and shielding the ball in the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

Well thats disapointing, most of the information was things we already knew about and the rest is not really good news.

Scraping be a pro and manager mode and giving us 1 mode instead isn't exactly a positive step.

Not being aware of the crossbar glitch, which was discovered about 2 weeks into fifa 10 is very concerning.

The response to Custom formations / Custom tactics ie. High pressure abuse seems to be a bit of a no comment. Saying they have a kill switch seems like a cop-out.

I'm surprised there wasn't anything more substantial there, what on earth was there an embargo for?

Any mention of the Dirk Kuyt/ Kevin Doyle issue, are players that are not big or fast going to get anything from the Personality +?

Like a richard dunne will be able to make an epic a last ditch tackle and ronaldo can glide past players with better dribbling, but is there going to be anything given for the work rate and determination of players that are known for there hard work, or will they again be the players left out of everyones team?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Creation mode, personality+, celebration assignment, my music all great news.

Axwell, did he give any indication of what penalty system will be in use or did you use it?
    As in, will it be the new World Cup style or the old Fifa 10 system.

Cheers for all the info!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭The Floyd p

Parawind wrote: »
    Kevin Doyle

Matt Damon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Axwell, did he give any indication of what penalty system will be in use or did you use it?

Its the same penalty system as World Cup, so Rutter says.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Well thats disapointing, most of the information was things we already knew about and the rest is not really good news.

Scraping be a pro and manager mode and giving us 1 mode instead isn't exactly a positive step.

Not being aware of the crossbar glitch, which was discovered about 2 weeks into fifa 10 is very concerning.

The response to Custom formations / Custom tactics ie. High pressure abuse seems to be a bit of a no comment. Saying they have a kill switch seems like a cop-out.

I'm surprised there wasn't anything more substantial there, what on earth was there an embargo for?

Any mention of the Dirk Kuyt/ Kevin Doyle issue, are players that are not big or fast going to get anything from the Personality +?

Like a richard dunne will be able to make an epic a last ditch tackle and ronaldo can glide past players with better dribbling, but is there going to be anything given for the work rate and determination of players that are known for there hard work, or will they again be the players left out of everyones team?

Keep in mind that this lad has no knowledge of coding or building the game. Hes a manager. It's not surprising he doesn't know about the crossbar glitch etc. That doesn't mean every single member of the dev team don't know about it.

Yup its the same as in the FIFA WC game.

Kirby wrote: »
    Keep in mind that this lad has no knowledge of coding or building the game. Hes a manager. It's not surprising he doesn't know about the crossbar glitch etc. That doesn't mean every single member of the dev team don't know about it.

Fair point but surely since hes been doing so many of the Q & A sessions, he would be well versed in whats been fixed from FIFA 10.

Just thought of something else, i know they said they are not adding new stadiums but surely they are adding the Aviva Stadium, i'm sick of playing as Ireland in a little league 2 shack.

Without having played this mode I think its a bit early to jump to that conclusion. There is plenty more to be revealed about personality+ and the virtual pro system.

As Kirby said hes the producer, hes not going to be aware of every little glitch in the game. Thats why they have the Dev Track system and he took note of it to check that it was on the list of bugs.

How? They have the option there which means they have listened to people, they just havent decided whether or not to use it yet. Peoples opinions differ on the use of custom formations and it doesnt fall into the same category as a bug or glitch in the game, plenty of people including David Rutter think custom formations are part of football, unfortunately some people abuse it.

As regards personality+ and work rates there is more to be released later on the personality+ system but only a certain amount was revealed to us at this day.

To quote David Rutter "We also have changes to personalites and attributes that will see players work for posession but fight for the progress of the team also wanting to further the posession and aiming for the victory and ultimately the win.We’ll have more to reveal in time"

Axwell wrote: »
    How? They have the option there which means they have listened to people, they just havent decided whether or not to use it yet. Peoples opinions differ on the use of custom tactics and it doesnt fall into the same category as a bug or glitch in the game, plenty of people including David Rutter think custom formations are part of football, unfortunately some people abuse it.

Thats why i think it sounds like a cop-out, all they would have to do is use a search filter or have a hardcore mode where only defaults were allowed. Then you could have both sets of people happy. I find it hard to believe that they would remove them from the game entirely and having a default tactics and formations mode would be such an easy thing to implement. What concerns me most is there has been no mention of trying to improve or fix the custom tactics either.
    Axwell wrote: »
    As regards personality+ and work rates there is more to be released later on the personality+ system but only a certain amount was revealed to us at this day.

To quote David Rutter "We also have changes to personalites and attributes that will see players work for posession but fight for the progress of the team also wanting to further the posession and aiming for the victory and ultimately the win.We’ll have more to reveal in time"

Well that sounds more positive but i guess we will have to wait and see.

Thats why i think it sounds like a cop-out, all they would have to do is use a search filter or have a hardcore mode where only defaults were allowed. Then you could have both sets of people happy. I find it hard to believe that they would remove them from the game entirely and having a default tactics and formations mode would be such an easy thing to implement. What concerns me most is there has been no mention of trying to improve or fix the custom tactics either.

If they use the switch to remove custom formations its only going to apply to removing them from ranked modes not the game entirely.

Lads there is two ways around this....

1. You use your head, stop constantly trying to win the ball yourself, pressure the man and you start trying to cut off the next pass, also when they pass it forward DON'T switch with them, continue to control an attacker and put him in front of the CB etc... be ready for it to come back.

2. Set up a formation with 4/5 attackers, the sort of 6-0-4 ones just with a lot more attackers then defenders, that way you'll have a man near by each of his players.

• Advertisement

2. Set up a formation with 4/5 attackers, the sort of 6-0-4 ones just with a lot more attackers then defenders, that way you'll have a man near by each of his players.

And how exactly are you planning to change formation without having the ball to pause the game?

And how exactly are you planning to change formation without having the ball to pause the game?

If you can't even come up with a way to get a pause in..... :rolleyes:

Lads there is two ways around this....

1. You use your head, stop constantly trying to win the ball yourself, pressure the man and you start trying to cut off the next pass, also when they pass it forward DON'T switch with them, continue to control an attacker and put him in front of the CB etc... be ready for it to come back.

You really shouldnt have to go into team management just so you can close down a player thats wasting time passing it among his back 4 and in most cases these days 6,7 or 8 in the backline.

It IS an exploit in the game. Ive gone ultra offensive team pressing and yet at the most everytime you have two players pressurising and one other player hanging about.

The game should know at this stage I want my team pressed right up and not having to switch to a horrible custom formation.

Custom Formations could be easily fixed. Just put restrictions as to where your placing your players so you dont just cramp them all into one zone. So many times ive looked at other players formations and its just defenders cramped in on top of their own keeper and then their forwards cramped into the opposition box. The way pressure and agression is used in tactics settings is awful aswell.

And if its such bother getting rid of the custom formations/tactics why dont they just have a filter to turn it off when searching in matches or when creating leagues.:confused:

joe123 wrote: »
    You really shouldnt have to go into team management just so you can close down a player thats wasting time passing it among his back 4 and in most cases these days 6,7 or 8 in the backline.

It IS an exploit in the game. Ive gone ultra offensive team pressing and yet at the most everytime you have two players pressurising and one other player hanging about.

The game should know at this stage I want my team pressed right up and not having to switch to a horrible custom formation.

Custom Formations could be easily fixed. Just put restrictions as to where your placing your players so you dont just cramp them all into one zone. So many times ive looked at other players formations and its just defenders cramped in on top of their own keeper and then their forwards cramped into the opposition box. The way pressure and agression is used in tactics settings is awful aswell.

And if its such bother getting rid of the custom formations/tactics why dont they just have a filter to turn it off when searching in matches or when creating leagues.:confused:

Look i'm not disagreeing with anything your saying, but a fix isn't coming so people need to be creative, so my point was just, have a formation set up.

TBH i don't even have one set up(with lots of attackers), a few times lately in the WC game i've said ''i'm setting it up after this game'' but i've never had a massive problem getting it back, not anything longer then a min or two, as i said think diff', stop always trying to get the man yourself, start pressuring and blocking off the CB's, that way they have to kick it long etc...

If anyone keeps messing about with it in their backs ill get it and have a 1v1, that's why i don't do it, when i need to run the clock down, i keep it wide and win corners/throws, at least then i might add a goal instead of risking conceding one.

I wouldn't mind an end to custom formations...BUT not while the game is what is it now.

I've had to pile my defence(i either play 4-1-3-2 with the defensive midfielder making 5 when defending or a 4-2-2-2 with the defensive midfielders making a back line of 6 when im defending) since 10 because douche bags consistently play the same way- one touch passing into your six yard box for tap ins... 99% of players never cross it, they run down and turn back and pass it down, even in WC where heading is much improved.

I don't like setting my team up negative but when players are going to do nothing but pass it into your net you have no choice. At least in 09 if you blocked the ball path you'd get it, but since they added the ''interception animation'' it goes by your players a lot, so extra bodies are needed to stop people doing it.

I've never tried the pressure/aggression at more then maybe 60/70%, and i win 5/6 for every 1 i lose so don't feel the need too. But FIFA at the moment requires a packed defence (and tight) to stop players passing it through you.

My formations resemble proper ones though, i keep a midfield/wingers and only play two strikers.(never more then 4 actual defenders or two actual strikers)

If you can't even come up with a way to get a pause in..... :rolleyes:

Did you really think it through, if you can get the ball back to get to the pause menu then you don't need to change formations in the first place. Its sort of a catch 22.

I wouldn't mind an end to custom formations...BUT not while the game is what is it now.

I've had to pile my defence(i either play 4-1-3-2 with the defensive midfielder making 5 when defending or a 4-2-2-2 with the defensive midfielders making a back line of 6 when im defending) since 10 because douche bags consistently play the same way- one touch passing into your six yard box for tap ins... 99% of players never cross it, they run down and turn back and pass it down, even in WC where heading is much improved.

Thats where people are wrong. I was like you thinking I had to use more in defense because my players couldnt defend. Then one day I decided I was sick of playing these sort of formations. Im actually doing better online now than I was when I used the 6-0-4 formations. Im 4th /5th in Irish rankings now using a default formation. Its a much better feeling getting a win this way but playing against custom formations is annoying and sometimes very boring.

Id just love to have an option to filter out custom formations and play against people who can defend without needing to pack their defense.

You can generally spot the football fans from the football video game fans. "Packing the defence" is a feature of football. You see it in every league every weekend, and at prestigious competitions like the champions league and world cup. There is a method and art to setting your team up a certain way. Ask Murinho.

What they need to do in Fifa is limit how easy it is to counter attack, if your entire team is on the edge of your own box. The root of the problem is not custom formations or custom tactics. Getting rid of them would help , but they are themselves not the problem.

The problem at the moment is the accuracy and ease with which a player can quickly pass out of defence for 30 yards, turn and play one more 30-40 yard ball and suddenly the forward is bearing down on goal. There are only one or two players in real life per team with the ability to do that but every member of your fifa team can do it. And thats where "ping-pong" passing comes from.

Apparently they are fixing that in fifa 11. Making one touch passing more error prone is a good idea, even on assisted. It will make people play proper possession football, or be forced to lump it up the field. Thats a good thing. People won't be able to play safe, 40 yard balls out of their own box with every player any more.

That will essentially solve the "He's packing the defence but is still killing me on the attack with no midfield! 6-0-4 formation" problem. He wont be able to go from defender to attacker with one pass anymore every single time. No midfield hopefully wont work anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I think they need to get rid of pausing when you have the ball online. It should be a situation where you press start when you're playing, and the next time the ball goes out you get the pause menu.

A couple of times I've been done by a pause in the game and when play resumes they beat one of my players because I've stopped the continuous control and forgotten who I was controlling or what I was doing with that player.

Thats a good idea.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Goalkeeper.

I like the Personality+ idea - it makes the game even more realistic; however, I am extremely worried that it will be now even harder to beat the likes of Real Madrid and Chelsea using weaker teams. It's hard enough as it is, and that's without the stronger teams having this advantage.

I'm not complaining though, I'll just use a bigger team...

Advertisement