Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

My mate works in game in Dundrum, Said there some stupid woman on tonight and he reckons she will sell FIFA if you ask her . Don't give out to me if you try and she doesn't though

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

My mate works in game in Dundrum, Said there some stupid woman on tonight and he reckons she will sell FIFA if you ask her . Don't give out to me if you try and she doesn't though

Its on my way back from college so ill give it a try. Also going to put the squeeze on Harvey Norman.

Btw if I dont get it from game your a dead man... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

The handball is a good idea but thankfully its a option. Cant see it being allowed for online play though.As you really dont have any control over it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

I feel they treated the Handball inclusion half assed.I don't think they wanted to do it so couldn't be arsed to make it work.It wasn't bad IMO in Pes a few years back,but it was too rare to be a standout feature.Diving is something that obviously is increasing in football so it has to be thought of for the future.This is Football had it a few years back but it was awful,diving in the open would often get you a penalty or a Red Card for the opposition.Its getting closer to the stage where they've done all they can with the current gen consoles,hope they don't think Kinect or Move would add anything.

GTR63 wrote: »
    Diving is something that obviously is increasing in football so it has to be thought of for the future.

It makes as much sense to add this then it does to add ''leg braking tackles''.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Lamposts

It makes as much sense to add this then it does to add ''leg braking tackles''.....

Leg breaking tackles would be epic in FIFA 11. I'd love to be able to break the gk's legs like in the old days!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

Burning it now :D

It better work!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Diving is something that obviously is increasing in football so it has to be thought of for the future

No, just no.

It was in PES a few years ago (havent played PES enough to know if its still in) and it was an absolute joke. A couple of my friends mastered it and no matter how hard I worked in the game to build up a lead and keep their teams out all they needed to do was get into my box, dive, and a win a penalty, EVERY TIME. It made the game an absolute joke when you played these people. Nothing in football games cannot be mastered, and I'd rather lose ten on the trot to someone who is a great player than lose one to somebody whose just learned how to exploit a feature. Not only that, imagine playing an offline world cup and losing in the final because the AI dived; I promise you that anyone would be screaming unfairness if that happened.

If anything is detrimental to gameplay and a fun experience, regardless of how "real" it is; it shouldn't be included in the game. Hence spitting and racial abuse aren't in the game, despite how "it is increasing in football".

No, just no.

It was in PES a few years ago (havent played PES enough to know if its still in) and it was an absolute joke. A couple of my friends mastered it and no matter how hard I worked in the game to build up a lead and keep their teams out all they needed to do was get into my box, dive, and a win a penalty, EVERY TIME. It made the game an absolute joke when you played these people. Nothing in football games cannot be mastered, and I'd rather lose ten on the trot to someone who is a great player than lose one to somebody whose just learned how to exploit a feature. Not only that, imagine playing an offline world cup and losing in the final because the AI dived; I promise you that anyone would be screaming unfairness if that happened.

If anything is detrimental to gameplay and a fun experience, regardless of how "real" it is; it shouldn't be included in the game. Hence spitting and racial abuse aren't in the game, despite how "it is increasing in football".

I'm not demanding Diving but if its happening i'm sure they're going to say yes or no to it on the future.I'd say No due to the effects you've mentioned.But their at the end of what they can do with this Gens Technology but they need to do more with the dryish manager mode,maybe allow you to act like wenger or disrespect other managers.To a earlier post the odd bad tackle would be good.I remember Pato getting injured with a Concussion in a Manager after getting a slide tackle.

I'm not demanding Diving but if its happening i'm sure they're going to say yes or no to it on the future.I'd say No due to the effects you've mentioned.But their at the end of what they can do with this Gens Technology but they need to do more with the dryish manager mode,maybe allow you to act like wenger or disrespect other managers.To a earlier post the odd bad tackle would be good.I remember Pato getting injured with a Concussion in a Manager after getting a slide tackle.

Yeah but its a game, and the point of a game is to be entertaining and fun, not to add features that take away from the enjoyment of the game. Adding diving is effectively adding cheating. It's the equivalent of saying "well we should allow handballs ala Thierry Henry because its a real life happening".

I remember some game years ago had a bad tackle option, I remember it being the triangle button, and it was just useless because it was a guaranteed booking, and after two or three tackles it was just a bit silly.

I get what you mean that EA have to decide the features, but these features, if included will just take away from the enjoyment of the game.

• Advertisement

That Game that had the bad tackle option was This is Football you'd get a Red about half the time.Just hope they don't get lazy & go putting anything in Half hearted.I feel thats what they did with the handball in this years.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭Flyin Irishman

Fifa 98 also had the bad tackle option, it was a sliding tackle with the studs held up at knee height and auto-aimed at the nearest opposition player instead of the ball, it was fun at times but doesnt need a return to fifa imo.

If they're bringing something back from '98 it needs to be the indoor 5-a-side games!

That Game that had the bad tackle option was This is Football you'd get a Red about half the time.Just hope they don't get lazy & go putting anything in Half hearted.I feel thats what they did with the handball in this years.

This is Football!! Thank you. The one with J O'Shea on the front I think? I rented it I think. Awful game!! :)
    At least you can turn off handball and its off by default, thats one thing I have to commend EA on.

Some more reviews for those looking to read more opinions on it;

Gameinformer gave it
    http://gameinformer.com/games/fifa_11/b/ps3/archive/2010/09/28/ffia-11-review-360.aspx

Gamefocus gave it
    http://www.gamefocus.ca/?nav=reviewCard&fid=9734

And one review from 1Up which was not as positive as the others; they gave it a
    B
    http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3181599&p=37

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Its on my way back from college so ill give it a try. Also going to put the squeeze on Harvey Norman.

Btw if I dont get it from game your a dead man... :pac:
    any luck ?

No. :(

"Its out on friday."

-Me in my head: "I ****ing know its out on Friday. Ive been waiting for this game since halfway through June. Ive been playing FIFA since I was 8 years old and have played the game at a competitive level in tournaments all over the world. There are, at this stage over 5 people on my friends list playing FIFA 11 and to be totally honest, its absolute bull**** that you have the game sitting in a box back there and wont let me touch it untill Friday, actually, I had planned to buy it in HMV anyway as it is €10 cheaper but if you sold it to me now I would buy it here. So unless your going to stop being such a **** and hand it over, shut up and go **** yourself."

-Me in reality: "Ok cool, thanks."

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

The IGN FIFA 11 video review;

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

NUTZZ wrote: »
    The IGN FIFA 11 video review;

I'm sorry but that video doesn't do it justice, it's way different to Fifa 11 IMO.

I can't believe he said that its not so different from FIFA 10. Whatever your opinion on the game, having played both (albeit very little of the new game, friend has it) its widely different to FIFA 10. The pace and the personality of players is very evident. The cheap goals are no longer easy to score (lobs and cut backs). Plus on a very superficial level, new animations, graphics, kits, teams etc is a huge plus and the ability to finally edit players and save replays locally is a massive bonus to me anyway.

I'm slightly irked as to how it marked down "Be a GK" as a Negative of the game. If anything its accurate to real life in that you may get very boring games, but thats more so a product of football than a product of the game. Boring maybe, but to mark it as a negative seems a bit silly as its quite accurate to real life and if you were saving 40 or 50 shots a game, the review would probably scream that its not accurate to real life.

Did you hear what he said though? Things like the revamp of career mode is just relabelling things like "the classic modes such as player manager". It was a review by someone who doesnt watch football, particularily like football or even have more than a casual intrest in FIFA. It would be like me reviewing Starcraft 2. Terrible reviewing, and I hate to sound like a generalizing bastard here, but we wont see a decent review from the US. The IGN UK review will be alot more... well... good.

• Advertisement

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Did you hear what he said though? Things like the revamp of career mode is just relabelling things like "the classic modes such as player manager". It was a review by someone who doesnt watch football, particularily like football or even have more than a casual intrest in FIFA. It would be like me reviewing Starcraft 2. Terrible reviewing, and I hate to sound like a generalizing bastard here, but we wont see a decent review from the US. The IGN UK review will be alot more... well... good.

Thank you! I couldn't put my finger on it, it definitely felt like this guy had never watched football before or had only watched a highlight reel or something. At one stage I even asked myself "has this guy even played FIFA 10 at length??"

The UK IGN review is much better, gave it nearly a whole point more (out of 10)

Hey even getting to play your own music in the menus is enough to get the game alone :p.

Redzer7 wrote: »
    Hey even getting to play your own music in the menus is enough to get the game alone :p.

Yeah very true. I'm sick of singing along with some of the worst songs I've ever heard.

"Na na na na na na na, scars on my body, give me the slither appeal..." etc. Bloody Favela Rock from FIFA 10, I hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

got it today. very broken at the moment.played a few games online with no lag but there were glitches all over the place. playing in old trafford and loads of blue balss like the dividers in a swimming pool for the lanes kept appearing on the grass. very strange. Played a game as man city and won then rematched the guy and picked arsenal and i was in the middle of sorting out the team pre game and all of a sudden my team swapped to the entire man city squad. so i laughing i said sure lets see what happens. went to the loading arena and there was tevez in an arsenal jersey. lol.

also scored a retarded free kick from 42 yards with gareth barry. gave it a good smack but it was going about 4 feet wide at about head height and the goalkeeper jogged easily as if to say "not goin in" but he jogged right into the way of the ball and the ball bounced off his head into the goal. lol again.

I wish I couldve saved that one.

Im sure there will be much more of this crap but im hoping they can patch them issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭Charlie Haughy

I imagine those issues are because the servers are not really 'open' yet. I doubt they will need to patch the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 954 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Anyone else getting that 2 second freezing problem in the middle of a match? It sorts itself out after 2 seconds but I can feel it starting to annoy me already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭bigron2109

where do these people who are playing the game, get it earlier than every one else.I would have thought EA would release the game every people, at the same date..

Strange...

PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Anyone else getting that 2 second freezing problem in the middle of a match? It sorts itself out after 2 seconds but I can feel it starting to annoy me already.

Happened to me a few times but normally after to seconds a trophy icon appears in the corner to say a that I unlocked a ps3 trophy.

Started a manager mode last night with Arsenal and I went to the player growth thingy bobby, It gave a high potential for Wilshere, Ramsey, Eastmond, Lansbury, Randall and Gibbs :), Also the commentator says Gibbs, Eastmond Ramsey and Wilshere's names so delighted with that :)...

Got 3 emails already saying that Vermaelen, Clichy and Koscieiny were playing excellent and that the three players improved by +1. :).

Delighted with it so far.

One thing that I thought was odd though was Rio Ferdinand making a 30mil switch to Spure :confused: but I couldn't really give a shít I'll still hockey them :p. Made one signing in the transfer window which was Lloris and I had to stump up 32mil to get him :eek: Worth it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭neil_18_

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    got it today. .
    PaddyBomb wrote: »
    Redzer7 wrote: »
    Happened to me a few times but normally after to seconds a trophy icon appears in the corner to say a that I unlocked a ps3 trophy.

Where did you get the game?

Advertisement