Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭me-skywalker

Stil prefer FIFA 10

• Registered Users Posts: 5,290 ✭✭✭Ardent

Lads, what's the story with crossing and heading in this game? I find no matter how I try to
    cross the ball, it's always met by a defender's head. What technique works for you guys?

When I do get eventually get a header and I try to direct it, it goes horribly wide every time. Very frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

Ardent wrote: »
    Lads, what's the story with crossing and heading in this game? I find no matter how I try to
    cross the ball, it's always met by a defender's head. What technique works for you guys?

When I do get eventually get a header and I try to direct it, it goes horribly wide every time. Very frustrating.

I tend to run just inside the box right at the goal kick line and cross it towards the penalty spot, usually at least get a header on target with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Ardent wrote: »

Really? I'm finding the complete opposite... as a rule, I never, never crossed the ball in FIFA'10, but I'm finding the crossing to be pretty effective in 11, especially as its so much harder to play through the middle against the better players.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Have to say I'm finding it the opposite too. Finsing crossing the ball very effective in both Career Mode and online. Scored a hat-trick of headers with Del Piero against someone yesterday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,692 ✭✭✭GEasy

Frisbee wrote: »
    Have to say I'm finding it the opposite too. Finsing crossing the ball very effective in both Career Mode and online. Scored a hat-trick of headers with Del Piero against someone yesterday.

+1 . I find it much easier to score from corners/crosses in Fifa 11. You really have to make sure you defend them properly!

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Stil prefer FIFA 10

I'm the same *atm*, though admittedly I've only played a few hours this weekend(watching golf, work, etc) and most of that time was spent with club. Which is what I mainly play and had a very good record on FIFA 10(170 something wins, 46 draws and 29 or 30 losses). So used to hammering people in club with lesser quality pros and by playing good football without the need to rely completely on counters like most teams do.

But in the 10-15 games on FIFA 11, I haven't enjoyed it all. We've won the majority but it's been frustrating even still. Every match has been very tight bar a few matches and compact.

I have to work on my stats big time I will say that as do my mates but looking through all the accomplishments it's all a bit meh, cba'ed doing these unlike in FIFA 10.

I'll plug away and hopefully things will get more enjoyable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

How are Inter not a 5 Star team but England are,what a load of crap that is.Also dissapointed that they haven't done many new faces Vela is done yeah but some like Diego Milito aren't done it makes no sense that.I am enjoying it,hated the Boring be a Goalie mode,I usually rush up the pitch & got a lovely Goal which got me the Achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Still yet to complete any form of online game. Bloody servers

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Redzer7

Soby wrote: »
    Still yet to complete any form of online game. Bloody servers

Played 9 online won 8 and drew the other, I've had no problems with the servers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Anyone else having problems logging on to the EA servers right now? I got disconnected during a game about 15 minutes ago and haven't been able to sign back into them since, I keep getting;

"The EA servers are not available at this time. Please try again later"

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Played my first online game tonight and must say I enjoyed it,I was winning 6-5 and then my connection went :mad: with only a few minutes to go.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,357 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

NUTZZ wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems logging on to the EA servers right now? I got disconnected during a game about 15 minutes ago and haven't been able to sign back into them since, I keep getting;

"The EA servers are not available at this time. Please try again later"

Ya I was disconnected around that time and could'nt sign back in.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭NUTZZ

Ya I was disconnected around that time and could'nt sign back in.

I eventually got back in about 15 minutes later and played a game with no problems!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭JokerD

What is it with people and their lack of patience? I go into a potential game and see they are on their favourite team so I quickly look for a similar team but if I take more than 5 seconds to find my team then they leave. Is people's addiction to the game that bad that they can't wait a few extra seconds so you find an evenly matched team? Not only that but it seems certain people would like to pick my team too, I don't know how many times I pick and team(same stars as opponent) and as soon as I pick them the opponent leaves. Just play the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Right, I have played this **** out of this game since last Wednesday, ive been waiting a while before giving my opinion, so here it is:

Positives:
    -I like it alot more than FIFA 11.
    -Its harder, which for me is much better, because on World Class difficulty anything can happen now, no more steamrollering teams unless they are weak and you score early which is realistic.
    -Personality Plus is an absolutely brilliant addition. Paul Scholes is just so nice to play with, and I love how almost each team has a player or 2 that can win you the match.
    -The goalkeepers have improved drastically, especially in 1v1's.
    -Career mode has been quality for me, no bugs, very realistic top 6 in the Prem, unlike last year where Porstmouth came 2nd and Kanu bagged 28 goals.
    -They added my name to the commentary names. I know nobody else cares, but this is huge for me. My name has never been in a game before, and when I was making my Virtual Pro I just had a look with no expectations and there it was. Love it.
    -When you strike a ball and see it dip and swerve, beautiful.
    -The R1+X (Square) drilled low pass. Such a nice addition.
    -Slide tackles, awesome.

Negatives:
    -The promise of the elimination of ping pong passing must not have meant online too, as in every match ive played the ball has been lashed about with 1 time passes, occasionally one will be off but its still there.
    -The promise of no more holding A for pressure and automatically getting the ball, not a promise that was kept. You can pressure all day and can win the ball from rediculous angles.
    -Crossing is dangerously easy. I was playing an online match against a guy I knew I was better than, was 2-0 up in the 85th min but Malouda -> Anelka twice for headers that my centre backs should have easily dealt with. Im sure at least 75% of goals ive conceded both in online and against the CPU have been crosses.
    -Why arnt there more player faces? PES have amazing detail for the likes of Gibson, Macheda, Obertan etc. EA could easily but more time in, Diego Milito ffs.
    -How poor the AI team-mates in Be A Pro are, even on World Class/Legendary. Its like playing with goldfish.

All in all I love FIFA 11. I will be playing this for a long time. They worked off a solid base in FIFA 10 and just made it far more realistic. Should they patch the dodgey online (although not a problem for me) and stupid bugs that always pop up then it will be more universally loved.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

how have you noticed the personality plus? I cant say ive noticed too much. what have you noticed about scholes for example. just curious.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

evad_lhorg wrote: »
    how have you noticed the personality plus? I cant say ive noticed too much. what have you noticed about scholes for example. just curious.

I certainly have noticed it. Especially with Fabregas and RVP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭Public Executor

Torres most definitely moves like Torres too. It's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    -How poor the AI team-mates in Be A Pro are, even on World Class/Legendary. Its like playing with goldfish.

Agree with this one completely - going to be sticking to player-manager mode and controlling the team I think.

I'm really enjoying it so far. It's cool to see the AI using tricks, much harder to break down defences and just feels better. In spite of my difficulty in breaking down teams at World Class, I decided to set all assists to Manual and drop to Professional - very tough!

Game is very good - presentation is slick. Commentary will probably be turned to a foreign language again :D Disappointed that the language select still comes up.

Keepers are much better! Unfortunately I have had difficulty with 1v1s at times which is not what you want when it's tricky to get shots in!

🤪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

evad_lhorg wrote: »

When I have the ball with Scholes (and Fabregas when I used Arsenal) I feel I can make any pass I want, a feeling I have with no other player. This means Paul Scholes gets the ball whenever he is available, which is exactly how United play. Scholes makes things happen more than any other player on the pitch. Fletcher has the tactical trait and the engine trait, and as a result Fletch pops up everywhere, breaking up the oppositions attacks, even in the last mins of the game, just like the read Darren Fletcher. Giggs has the crossing trait, which means his crosses have loads of swerve and are harder to read for a defender, when I have the ball with Giggsy on the wing, I try to beat the man and whip a ball in. Nani has dribbling, so when I have it with Nani im looking to dance my way into the box. Ji Sung Park is good for little other than running his ass off and having bags of stamina left in the 80+mins... Just like... You guessed it.

Personality Plus means you play the game the way its played in real life by having the players do what they are best at. Its fantastic.

I'm the same *atm*, though admittedly I've only played a few hours this weekend(watching golf, work, etc) and most of that time was spent with club. Which is what I mainly play and had a very good record on FIFA 10(170 something wins, 46 draws and 29 or 30 losses). So used to hammering people in club with lesser quality pros and by playing good football without the need to rely completely on counters like most teams do.

But in the 10-15 games on FIFA 11, I haven't enjoyed it all. We've won the majority but it's been frustrating even still. Every match has been very tight bar a few matches and compact.

I have to work on my stats big time I will say that as do my mates but looking through all the accomplishments it's all a bit meh, cba'ed doing these unlike in FIFA 10.

I'll plug away and hopefully things will get more enjoyable.

Played a 10 man tournament that was 18 games each. Then a doubles tournament which was 6 games each. Ive played about 5/6 online and ive gone through half a season with United and half with Valencia so about 40 games there.... we always done with FIFA 10.

Im not enjoying it at all. The players dont make as many runs forward and when you play a 1-2 with someone they jsut run forward in a straight line. ALso some of the runs they make when they do are awful runs like right into your behind or into another player.
    Its much more stiffer and rigid. The controls are less forgiving as I play manual controls. I get that its more challenging, If given it enough games tbh to know how much I can take. But I find my patience wearing thin playing it and I get annoyed with the little bugs.

All in all its jsut not as damn fun as it used to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Tom1991

what annoys me is you cant have murphy as your be a pro name like ffs the commentary guys say it wen fulham are playing 2 years runnin now

-The goalkeepers have improved drastically, especially in 1v1's.

-Slide tackles, awesome.

I disagree with these 2, I can score 90 of the time with a finese shot aroudn the keeper in a 1v1.

Slide tackles are awful, they dont slide, they jsut fall to the ground and throw their feet out.

I disagree with these 2, I can score 90 of the time with a finese shot aroudn the keeper in a 1v1.

This is how to score 1v1's..... in case anyone didn't have the WC game, you just have to finesse it, if you shoot the goalie will react normally and if you chip it there's a good chance you won't get it for one reason or another, so just set yourself up for the finesse and watch it sail by the advancing goalie.

I got caught out for the first two days and was trying to lob it will little success said i'd try the finesse and it works a charm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Anyone have any trouble with squad limits. Im Man Utd and im trying to buy a player. When I try to purchase him I recieve the "Squad too big" message. I sold a player and I still recieve the message.
    Is there anythimng else I need to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Chicharit0

statto25 wrote: »
    Anyone have any trouble with squad limits. Im Man Utd and im trying to buy a player. When I try to purchase him I recieve the "Squad too big" message. I sold a player and I still recieve the message.

I had the same problem, just go forward a day or two and try again ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

statto25 wrote: »

Yeah you just have to wait until the player is sold and actually gone to their new team. So lets say you sell a player on Monday, you'll probably have to wait til Tuesday or Wednesday until that place in your squad is free and you can buy a new player.

At the start of my Season with Man Utd., i sold Macheda and Anderson while buying Shay Given from City and Modric from Spurs.

Modric's frist league goal was actually against Spurs by way of a header from a Velancia free kick :D

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

Right, I have played this **** out of this game since last Wednesday, ive been waiting a while before giving my opinion, so here it is:

Positives:
    -I like it alot more than FIFA 11.

This is impressive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,855 ✭✭✭statto25

Yeah you just have to wait until the player is sold and actually gone to their new team. So lets say you sell a player on Monday, you'll probably have to wait til Tuesday or Wednesday until that place in your squad is free and you can buy a new player.

At the start of my Season with Man Utd., i sold Macheda and Anderson while buying Shay Given from City and Modric from Spurs.

Modric's frist league goal was actually against Spurs by way of a header from a Velancia free kick :D

Spot On! I will have to wait until the next transfer window but I will try that.

Advertisement