Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

I remember you talking about this in Fifa 10, and tbh mate, I dunno what your talking about. theres no such thing i think.
    you might go on a good run of games, then you might go on a bad run. Dont thinks its anything to do with 'Momentum'.

Well then no offence but maybe your not very good?...... but when your used to winning most online games i think you can notice it.

Your passes go to ****
    Players slow down
    You won't score unless you literally walk it into the net
    Every tackle you make just makes the ball go to another one of his players Your players run away from the man in possession- usually into an offside position of just somewhere you can't pass it to him
    Your players are all 10 yards from his and even by pressing X + square together they don't go to win the ball
    You give away free after free while the opponent can do anything bar a last man slide on you
    Any every pass made by your opponent will be inch perfect.

Now just one of those points alone wouldn't count for much, but all of them plus more i'm prob forgetting happen at the SAME TIME.

I don't really care if you don't believe me, it's not a theory i came up with myself. Search google for ''FIFA SCRIPTED/MOMENTUM'' and see how many threads come up and compare it to ''PES scripted/momentum'' i didn't find ONE for PES.

The code is already in the game in Adidas Live Season which makes players on good form better at everything, and bad form worse at everything, during some games the stats are taking a hit, i generally notice it can be the same few players on my team who give it away while others are only susceptible to missing the chances at the end.

EA even openly have it in NHL 11, if you build up a number of big hits of the other team they/player who was hit becomes ''intimidated'' and plays worse

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Well then no offence but maybe your not very good?...... but when your used to winning most online games i think you can notice it.

Your passes go to ****
    Players slow down
    Every tackle you make just makes the ball go to another one of his players Your players run away from the man in possession- usually into an offside position of just somewhere you can't pass it to him
    Your players are all 10 yards from his and even by pressing X + square together they don't go to win the ball
    You give away free after free while the opponent can do anything bar a last man slide on you

Now just one of those points alone wouldn't count for much, but all of them plus more i'm prob forgetting happen at the SAME TIME.

I don't really care if you don't believe me, it's not a theory i came up with myself. Search google for ''FIFA SCRIPTED/MOMENTUM'' and see how many threads come up and compare it to ''PES scripted/momentum'' i didn't find ONE for PES.

The code is already in the game in Adidas Live Season which makes players on good form better at everything, and bad form worse at everything, during some games the stats are taking a hit, i generally notice it can be the same few players on my team who give it away while others are only susceptible to missing the chances at the end.

EA even openly have it in NHL 11, if you build up a number of big hits of the other team they/player who was hit becomes ''intimidated'' and plays worse

All true. Even when you realise momentum is against you and try and string some passes together they will go astray, out for throws etc.

Live season is just ridiculous. I dont have it myself so when you play against someone with it games are just laughable. Drogbas etc walk through defences, 50/50s are no longer 50/50s. I just dont play against people that use it anymore its that bad.

joe123 wrote: »
    All true. Even when you realise momentum is against you and try and string some passes together they will go astray, out for throws etc.

Live season is just ridiculous. I dont have it myself so when you play against someone with it games are just laughable. Drogbas etc walk through defences, 50/50s are no longer 50/50s. I just dont play against people that use it anymore its that bad.

Ya it's easy to avoid if you take note of the teams overall stats... a lot were trying to use Inter last week.... 89 or 91 attack.... CANCEL :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭Luap

What is the best team and formation to go in Fifa? My mate keeps beating me with Arsenal. Need some help with choosing something new.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Your passes go to ****
    Players slow down

Agree with what your saying, thats one of the reasons I converted to full manual controls. At least the ai wont **** up your passing then as your in total control of everything, even the player switching set to zero gives you an advantage.. takes a fair bit of practice mind but once ya get used to it, its unreal the things ya can do

• Advertisement

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Agree with what your saying, thats one of the reasons I converted to full manual controls. At least the ai wont **** up your passing then as your in total control of everything, even the player switching set to zero gives you an advantage.. takes a fair bit of practice mind but once ya get used to it, its unreal the things ya can do

I might start practising a bit offline, tried it once or twice in 10 and shots from the 6 yard box weren't even hitting the net so i found it more of a chore then a enjoyment. I use manual player switching alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

They really need to sort out your Forward running towards you when your on the wing instead of into the box...so annoying

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Wasn't sure about the move to 11 when I was playing career but played 1v1 and 2v2 there with friends offline and loved it! Some great games, really exciting and you never felt that it would change by the keeper losing the plot and sprinting off.

Real Madrid still seem to be ridiculously powerful - most teams have a bit of build up, etc but R.M. seemed to be playing at a different speed altogether!

Tried to create tournaments so that we wouldn't have the process of picking teams / going to menu all the time. Both tournaments crashed after a couple of games though - very disappointing.

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Maloney_o9 wrote: »
    What is the best team and formation to go in Fifa? My mate keeps beating me with Arsenal. Need some help with choosing something new.
    I play 4-1-2-1-2 with spurs think it's pretty good .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Sightaridis

Soby wrote: »
    They really need to sort out your Forward running towards you when your on the wing instead of into the box...so annoying

It's even more annoying when your strikers are big target men. Very frustrating.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Having a nightmare online the past two days, current run is 1W and 7L :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

Your passes go to ****
    Players slow down

Glad somebody mentioned this, thought I was going mad. It's ridiculous at times (though I'm probably asking for it using a 3 star Leeds team in the Prem on World Class), regardless of the opposition, I go from picking up something like 16 out of 18 points to maybe 2 out of 18.
    The things that go against you are laughable, particularly the refs. I've never had this complaint about any other FIFA but at times you'd feel a little cheated by the AI, it can be seriously frustrating.

Edit: Not sure if you were referring to online or career mode there, I'm obviously talking about career mode

Essien wrote: »
    Glad somebody mentioned this, thought I was going mad. It's ridiculous at times (though I'm probably asking for it using a 3 star Leeds team in the Prem on World Class), regardless of the opposition, I go from picking up something like 16 out of 18 points to maybe 2 out of 18.
    The things that go against you are laughable, particularly the refs. I've never had this complaint about any other FIFA but at times you'd feel a little cheated by the AI, it can be seriously frustrating.

Edit: Not sure if you were referring to online or career mode there, I'm obviously talking about career mode

I'm talking about online, but looking over other threads on other sites it would appear it's in offline too. I don't play offline myself though.

One game yesterday i was beat 5-0, i gave up when he got the 3rd with 15mins left(although i didn't let him score as such i was sliding all the time etc...), then the next game i stuffed him 4-0, was 3-0 up within 20mins..... his near 100% passing accuracy and predictable 1-2's no longer worked!!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭storybud22

this game requires no skill to defend. fifa 10 is by far better then this crap.poor fifa players constantly beating good ones.only good thing in this game is shooting. LONG LIVE FIFA 10

• Registered Users Posts: 1,565 ✭✭✭Parawind

storybud22 wrote: »
    this game requires no skill to defend.

Bud i think you have it backwards, it takes a huge amount of skill to defend cause the balls over the top are so effective, it takes no skill to attack with the simple back post crossing and lobbed balls over the defense(unless of course you try to build up your play and outplay the opposition).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 161 ✭✭storybud22

kmac it requires no skill to defend. over the top fiends who are poo at the game. fifa 10 requires more skill and is a more enjoyable game. ive played hokem,kirk and cashel man. we had close games but 10 seems better.u can still x chip in 11 aswell

storybud22 wrote: »
    kmac it requires no skill to defend. over the top fiends who are poo at the game. fifa 10 requires more skill and is a more enjoyable game. ive played hokem,kirk and cashel man. we had close games but 10 seems better.u can still x chip in 11 aswell

While there are a lot of bugs in FIFA 11 it is a far better game, the ping pong passing is no longer an issue and the AI doesn't run themselves out of position when the opposition does 1-2s. FIFA 10 required skill but nowhere near as much as FIFA 11. The variety of passing options you have available at any one time makes the games more expansive and interesting. Yes you can still x chip but its nowhere near as easy as it was in FIFA 10.

Every year when the new FIFA comes out there are people who prefered the previous interation, i personally felt that 10 was not as good as FIFA 09 but each year they do improve the game and this year once the patch is finally released i'm sure you will warm to it more.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

Not liking Fifa to be honest. I waited to buy it to see the reaction and kept a close eye on this thread for the faults. I bought it for the online play against my better judgement and the experience to date has been one of pure frustration. It feels to me like the game is fundamentally broken. You can dominate a game for 85 minutes then one simple bug lets the opposition in to draw or win the game (two players jostling around Drogba yet he can still walk into the box and blast in a goal). I've read all of this thread so don't patronise me. The game seems broken. I will give it more time but I think this might be the first Fifa I ever trade in.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You can dominate a game for 85 minutes then one simple mistake lets the opposition in to draw or win the game

Just like real football.

two players jostling around Drogba yet he can still walk into the box and blast in a goal

Just like real football.

You asked not to be patronized but it's hard not to point out the flaws to your arguement. Fifa 11 is a much harder game to play than fifa 10 but its also a much BETTER game. It feels and looks like real football with the passing and build-up play.

People equate how good they are at something.....to how good that thing is. Thats a mistake.

Most of us suck because the game is only out a week. People played fifa 10 like a video game. They are trying to do the same in fifa 11 and getting frustrated. You have to play fifa 11 like real football. Thats a good thing.

And balls over the top are only hard to deal with if you play with auto swithing on. Turn it off and its piss easy to deal with.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

High AI pressure and aggression make it so that an average player can appear much better and the defending DOES require less attention than fifa 10. Having played so many games primarily as ANY on clubs with poorer rated players I can tell the difference between someone who lets the AI defend and someone who manually controls their players.

Story: your not liking this because the pace of players is nullified all across the park. You are correct in stating that defending is very easy and does require less skill. That said I will be shipping more goals this year than last year. I was almost airtight in Fifa 10 but poorer defending animations/runs/positions will hurt me.

Hokem and Kmac: Obviously loving this incarnation due to the passing aspect of it all. Slows the play down considerably compared to the last Fifa incarnation.

See you lads soon enough once I win League 1 and then Champ again. Lamps cant be the only ego here :P

• Advertisement

Kirby wrote: »
    Just like real football.

I understand your point I really do but I used the word bug for a reason, not mistake. In real football Drogba can't run through on goal with two players 'jostling' around him. In real football when a striker jumps for a header at the far post whilst two players defend that same ball, standing next to him, they do not get a free header. Mistakes happen once. When they continually occur that is a bug my friend.
    You asked not to be patronised(fixed) but it's hard not to point out the flaws to your argument(fixed). Fifa 11 is a much harder game to play than fifa 10 but its also a much BETTER game. It feels and looks like real football with the passing and build-up play.

I always have and always will continue to play in a slow cautionary build up manner in which I treasure possession (comes from my love of Italian football) but I made no mention of how hard this game is. That is your problem, your opinion, my problem is the nature of the bugs contained within the game. If you can't defend against a certain course of action, that almost always results in the conceding of a goal, no matter what you do, then that is a bug. That's my opinion, and that is not just like real football.

The above is the point of my original argument and the reason for my post. In your attempt to refute this argument all you did was highlight two aspects of the post and state "Just like real football". However I hope I've now explained myself to you more clearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Yapamillias

They are trying to do the same in fifa 11 and getting frustrated. You have to play fifa 11 like real football.

Im prob getting frustrated more than others :D

Im playing it like real football. In real football if a player can pass or control a ball over a distance of 5 yards then he is killed or transferred. Except for Paul McShane :rolleyes:.

Seriously though how many times did the clubs cabbages lose the ball passing under 5 yards???

In real football if a player can pass or control a ball over a distance of 5 yards then he is killed or transferred. Except for Paul McShane :rolleyes:.

I'm going to assume you meant "can't".

• Registered Users Posts: 11,991 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

It really sounds like a lot of people are just getting really píssed off with the game because the tricks and tactics they used in FIFA 10 don't work anymore.

I find lofted balls capable to deal with at times because I have auto-switching off, as a lot of the times I was getting caught short was when I switched player ahead of the AI doing it for me leading to my defence missing a step. I still ship a few goals but I have full control of my players now, so any goals I ship are my fault.

If Drogba is jostling past two of my defenders I slide in. It's not a glitch in the game or a bug, its the fact that Drogbas stats are very high (reflecting on his real life attributes) and if you find a player is easily jostling past two of your defenders then one should change their approach to how they handle the attacker.

A bug is something like an animation fault like when subs come on and the player in view suddenly changes. A player powering through is not a bug. Reduce Drogbas stats and see if he keeps doing it. He won't because its a result of his high stats. If you reduce his stats down and he keeps doing it, then you have a bug.

It really sounds like a lot of people are just getting really píssed off with the game because the tricks and tactics they used in FIFA 10 don't work anymore.

Interesting point but this is not the reason I feel this game has issues. It is true that I use certain tactics that I used in Fifa 10 in Fifa 11, but I started using these tactics in Fifa 98. I play in a simulated manner of possession passing until that final pass can be achieved. The tactics I find myself playing against however can be described as a player looking to get in to a similar position continually as they know that no matter what I can do (having nothing to do with my level of skill) they can score a goal. Hence the Drogba analogy.

If you reduce his stats down and he keeps doing it, then you have a bug.

I used the term 'bug' as I always have, to refer to something that makes a gaming experience feel broken. My Drogba example is the simplest example of this I can give. You state to try different tactics, great suggestion, but this still doesn't remedy the uncanny valley nature of this game.

I used the term 'bug' as I always have, to refer to something that makes a gaming experience feel broken. My Drogba example is the simplest example of this I can give. You state to try different tactics, great suggestion, but this still doesn't remedy the uncanny valley nature of this game.

Well I'm only posting in relation to what you've put forward. I can't speculate as to what else is bothering you nor do I need a list. I can't think of a goal that I conceded where it wasn't my fault in some aspect. There may have been one or two but off the top of my head I genuinely can't think of a goal where I was cheated by the AI.

If I find some aspect of the game is exploiting me I make changes around it, like I said with the Drogba issue.

Having experienced PES AI syndrome years ago (where the AI would just barrel you for a goal after you scored, leaving you unable to defend against superhuman players who only appear after you score) I feel much more in control against the AI in FIFA 11.

Obviously we have different definitions of what a bug is. A bug for me would something like the custom chants being played in the wrong game, not just an opposition player getting the best of me. I wouldn't same this game is "broken" in any sense. I find each game different and requiring different adaptations whereas in FIFA 10, I defended the same way in every game, attacked the same way in every game, scored goals in the same way in every game, and I find each game in FIFA 11 somewhat unique.

Obviously we have different definitions of what a bug is. A bug for me would something like the custom chants being played in the wrong game...
    For you bugs are only cosmetic? Does game play not count?
    ...not just an opposition player getting the best of me.
    I have no problem with an opposing player getting the better of me but since you can't understand my post I suggest you read it again.
    I wouldn't same this game is "broken" in any sense.
    Here I must disagree, see above.

• Moderators Posts: 8,719 ✭✭✭x PyRo

I was going brilliantly in ranked matches, 21 wins and 1 loss. Played 3 games tonight, lost all 3. Feck!

The tactics I find myself playing against however can be described as a player looking to get in to a similar position continually as they know that no matter what I can do (having nothing to do with my level of skill) they can score a goal.

I refer back to this point. I have yet to experience any situation of being cheated by the AI where a goal has been completely out of my control time after time. For example, if a tactic the AI has used has resulted in a goal I sometimes make tactical changes which shut out further instances. I've never found myself absolutely powerless against certain tactics which you speak of.
    For you bugs are only cosmetic? Does game play not count?

Bugs are not merely cosmetic for me, I'm just pointing out what I consider a bug, because I've only read (and maybe your select examples haven't shown what you mean) complaints which allude to something that can be combated. AI-switching is never going to be foolproof, I've switched to manual and I never have any problems with lofted balls which I read about every couple of posts. The wrong custom chant issue is a bug (in my opinion) because it something beyond my control, a fault with the game. The fact that Drogba can power past my defence is not out of my control. The fact that he gets into certain positions is not out of my control. I can change formation, play differently, play Drogba (for example) offside or have him man marked. I know this is a very distinct complaint, but I'm trying to point out that if something can be combatted in fairly simple ways it is hardly a bug.
    I have no problem with an opposing player getting the better of me but since you can't understand my post I suggest you read it again.

Here I must disagree, see above.

I have read and understood your posts however to describe a game as fundamentally broken when it simply seems like you haven't got a full grasp of it yet seems a bit rushed. The game has been out 10 days and you said yourself you waited to buy it so maybe you haven't adjusted fully yet to a fundamentally different game to FIFA 10.

• Advertisement

I refer back to this point...

Byline, cross to far post, header, goal. Tactics altered, team altered same result. If a cross comes in a goal is conceded. Several times within the first four games I played. I know the simple argument is to stop crosses coming in but that is not the issue. The issue is defenders not challenging for the ball. If you have a tactic that works for this I'm all ears.
    Bugs are not merely cosmetic for me, I'm just pointing out what I consider a bug, because I've only read...

I refer to the above. This to me ruins the whole experience. Nothing select. This is fact.
    The fact that Drogba can power past my defence is not out of my control...

Valid point in of itself but it doesn't alter what I've stated. If Drogba gets the ball to his feet, in any situation, in any position he can just run and run with two players 'jostling' around him. No tactic etc. will change this.
    I have read and understood your posts however...

Not to sure about this, if you did understand you may have offered help or guidance and not make a vague attempt to critique a person's level of skill.
    to describe a game as fundamentally broken...

Never did. Certain aspects to me are broken that is my opinion. Must admit though haven't come across to many problems with lofted through balls.

Advertisement