Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,990 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Byline, cross to far post, header, goal. Tactics altered, team altered same result. If a cross comes in a goal is conceded. Several times within the first four games I played. I know the simple argument is to stop crosses coming in but that is not the issue. The issue is defenders not challenging for the ball. If you have a tactic that works for this I'm all ears.

Some tactics I use include bringing my goalkeeper out, manually running with my defence to meet the cross before the attacker does. I try to cut out the cross or prevent it, but as you said this isn't always possible.
    Usually this works for me in defending against crosses. Sometimes it doesn't and I'm just beaten by a good cross and good header, yet I never feel that the pre-determined outcome is a goal, it may happen once every now and again that a great run, cross and goal by the AI comes about but there's never a repeat trend. Some crosses are out of my power, but its not all of them.
    Not to sure about this, if you did understand you may have offered help or guidance and not make a vague attempt to critique a person's level of skill.

You gave me one example of a bug and I gave you my opinion of how to cope with it. I'm not the most skilled player by any stretch, but its a learning curve. The first few days of the game I was still getting accustomed to the new ways and conceding goals like you speak of, but I found ways to cut them out. I haven't found out how to cut out every AI tactic but I'm getting used to them. I would never say anyone is a crap player or not good enough but maybe just that they're still on the learning curve, and that defending like previous games won't always work. I found myself powerless at the start to long balls and mazy runs with skilled players yet I learned how to combat this. I still concede but I've never once felt like the goals were predetermined. I do feel that I have been powerless against some goals, where a player may get far too much space due to a great run, but its never a repeat event or a constant AI tactic or play.
    Never did. Certain aspects to me are broken that is my opinion..

You may want to re-read your post...
    It feels to me like the game is fundamentally broken.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

You may want to re-read your post...

My bad. (Insert winking smiley face here, I refuse to use emoticons.)

I will give it a bit more time and I'll try the suggested tactics but I'm just not too sure that the investment of my time will be rewarded with enjoyment rather than frustration. Hope I'm wrong.

I was talking about online play though!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

The way at the end of an online game you can only view a certain amount of highlights is very annoying. Scored an unbelievable scissors kick volley with Fabregas last night to secure a 5-3 win in the eighty somethingth minute but I couldn't save it or view it as the highlights were all from the first half (3-3) or early second half :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,568 ✭✭✭thewools

Frisbee wrote: »
    The way at the end of an online game you can only view a certain amount of highlights is very annoying. Scored an unbelievable scissors kick volley with Fabregas last night to secure a 5-3 win in the eighty somethingth minute but I couldn't save it or view it as the highlights were all from the first half (3-3) or early second half :mad:

Ye that is crap - it should really save all goals and forget about all the chances missed / saved!!

I have scored a few sweet goals lately late on and didnt even bother checking was it going to be in the highlights.... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

My biggest problem is position swapping in the midfield.

It seems that during any passage of play, my center midfielders (Fletcher & Scholes), end up swapping positions with my wingers (Nani & Valencia). They won't swap back until the ball goes out of play. I have everything set to "Organised" but still, they will consistently swap over.

I can't count the amount of times that Scholes finds himself parked on the left wing until the ball goes out of play. Its so frustrating, because inevitably, if you are playing against a good player, and find some space on the wing, its Scholes who will find himself out there unable to take advantage of it.

Also, there were two times when my LW in a 4-3-3 was playing as ST, and my ST was LW (and their positions were correct in Team Management). Same in career mode, playing a standard 4-4-2, my RW & LW were swapped, even though I had them the correct way around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

thewools wrote: »
    Ye that is crap - it should really save all goals and forget about all the chances missed / saved!!

I have scored a few sweet goals lately late on and didnt even bother checking was it going to be in the highlights.... :rolleyes:
    Yes, there's no excuse why it shouldn't save. It's not even like the game is saving the actual video of the event but rather only the controller inputs and some of the movement of other players and then it just gets the game engine to act it out. All it takes is a small text file.

Sure there's no reason why it shouldn't be able to save the entire game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭raheny red

By far my best goal yet and it was by my favourite Belgian! :cool:

http://www.ea.com/uk/football/videos/ugc/41807873

• Registered Users Posts: 42,086 ✭✭✭✭Scorpion Sting

The glitch where you decide to have a rematch with a player and you select a different team than the first match and suddenly your whole squad is replaced by the team you went for in the first game really annoys me. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Just starting to really enjoy this game now. I agree with an earlier poster, you do have to learn the game in some respects again and adjust your tactics and style of play from what you used in 10. This for me makes the annual subscription to EA worthwhile, surely it would be pointless and we would be up in arms if every year they brought out a polished version of the previous years game with the same gameplay?

Everton are my team and I am by no means a great player and in the past I have been frustrated with Fifa because I couldn't play to my teams strengths which I believe I can do now.

I have 2 of the best headers of the ball in th EPL in Cahill and Fellani, so with the enhanced crossing and heading experience in 11 I can now utilise my teams strengths against the likes of Barca and Madrid (that it seems every other online player seems to use), just like you would do in real football. I have set up with 2 defensive midfielders and 2 attacking wingers in arteta and pineaar who supply the crosses for my 2 effective headers.

I am having some success now playing with Everton against the teams I mentioned above and my overall experience has improved. So its without doubt that 11 is a better experience for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

Lads, how do you check the Irish Leaderboard?

• Advertisement

opengoal wrote: »
    Barca and Madrid (that it seems every other online player seems to use)

This annoys me too. Nearly everytime I play someone they pick Madrid/Milan/Chelsea. I like using smaller teams sometimes. Some guy I was playing against last night chose Borussia Mönchengladbach so I chose Deportivo, a team I like playing with. we played three games against each other without using any superstar teams so I got to use Deportivo, Birmingham and Atletico (Atleti are pretty good I guess).

Otherwise I just get trounced by super teams or have to pick a super team to counter the other persons pick.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I'm starting to do a few accomplishments for my VP lately and I seen one in ball skills gold section that says ''beat 6 players in a match using skill moves'', now I'd be lucky to beat 2 or 3 and thats if I'm really trying so does anyone know if you can get the accomplishments in 2-player games?
    (the second controller may be sitting idly while I do this. Don't judge me! :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

If your on xbox - go into live/head to head/leaderboards then hit LT, this brings up the country option. You can then toggle countrys using RT. I imagine it is similar for PS3.

I only figured this out by asking too last week...

Go to Online Games > Quick Ranked Game > Leaderboards.

Then use one of the Drop Downs for selecting Your Country.

Think I was in the top 30 last night myself for PS3 ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,628 ✭✭✭SRFC90

J. Marston wrote: »
    I'm starting to do a few accomplishments for my VP lately and I seen one in ball skills gold section that says ''beat 6 players in a match using skill moves'', now I'd be lucky to beat 2 or 3 and thats if I'm really trying so does anyone know if you can get the accomplishments in 2-player games?
    (the second controller may be sitting idly while I do this. Don't judge me! :D)

Nope, I tried it, doesn't work!

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭puffmullett

opengoal wrote: »
    If your on xbox - go into live/head to head/leaderboards then hit LT, this brings up the country option. You can then toggle countrys using RT. I imagine it is similar for PS3.

Cheers...I usually just head straight to head-to-head matches, never do anything else!

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭bonkers

im finding it so frustrating on xbox live.. id say ive started 15 games, finished 5 of them as either the whole thing freezes or people continue to disconnect. maybe its just a case of getting back to the level i was at and playing against similar skilled players..

• Registered Users Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

storybud22 wrote: »
    kmac it requires no skill to defend. over the top fiends who are poo at the game. fifa 10 requires more skill and is a more enjoyable game. ive played hokem,kirk and cashel man. we had close games but 10 seems better.u can still x chip in 11 aswell

Have to agree with Bud here. Online head to head is pretty much all I play and its such a downgrade on Fifa 10 nevermind Fifa 09.

The higher skill players all abuse the long loffted through balls. Out of 10 games you would have 8 of those matches ALL consisting of the same tactic of playing lobbed through balls from your own half up to Ronaldo/Drogba etc. They get their player on a run and just wait for him to be beside your defender then its just purely down pot luck if your defender manages to get a touch to it.

Games consist now of lobbed through ball...then either they're in to score or at the byline, cross it in and headed goal. There is absolutely no variety. At least with ping pong passing in Fifa 10 it required an element of skill to do it right and certainly an element of skill to defend against it.

As storybud said you can tell your playing against certain players who are pretty bad at the game but they just keep long balling it and scoring from crosses. You could end up with 60% possession, the majority of shots yet still loose because of this tactic.

I started doing it myself and started winning more but found myself not enjoying the game at all. So ive reverted to keep ball tactics and simply bore the opposition (and myself to death).

And I have auto-switching turned off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭raheny red

In the formation selection i.e. 4-4-2(1)*

* what is the (1) all about?

raheny red wrote: »

When you're playing as your pro online? It symbolises the number of people playing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

raheny red wrote: »

Doesn't that mean that one of your Strikers stays forward near the goal while the other falls back into mindfield

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Width.

You will notice 442, 433 , 41212 etc. all have 1 and 2 versions. They are the same except the wingers are tucked in or out wide depending on which you prefer.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,170 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

SRFC90 wrote: »
    Nope, I tried it, doesn't work!

Thats weird, I was having a match against my brother earlier and my VP scored and an accomplishment flashed up so we finished that match and had another where he just stood around while I did skill moves to get around his players but they weren't registering. :confused:

Seriously pi$$ed off with a ranked game I played online tonight...

I was playing a guy called: Red__v_Black_ (PS3) and I was all over him. He was higher ranked than me; a level 20 player I think.

But anyways - I was destroying me and I was 2-0 up and then the funny stuff starts. It was as if he could freeze the game to look like if it crashed??? So anyways after freezing for a minute we started again. Then he did it again after putting the ball out for a throw in. Game frozen again for another few minutes and eventually got going again. I figured what he wanted - he wanted me to quit.. :rolleyes:

So F-That! I held the ball for the reminder of the game BUT then when the final whistle went it was "frozen" again!!! I let it run for a while thinking that we will finish the game and go onto the menu screen; but nope! I wrote to him on PSN saying that I was away which I was. So I went to training and left the game running.

Came back 3 hours later and its still bleeding stuck. JOKE!! So I quit! :mad:

And he gets the 3-0 win! I then wrote a rather eh "not so pleasent" comment to him and I get a reply "HAHAHAHA". I wANt to know where this little sh%t lives.... :mad:

If this another bug - I'm telling you, this FIFA disc will be going into the blender...

Rant Over!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭FlawedGenius

:D

I was playing a guy called: Red__v_Black_ (PS3) and I was all over him. He was higher ranked than me; a level 20 player I think.

But anyways - I was destroying me and I was 2-0 up and then the funny stuff starts. It was as if he could freeze the game to look like if it crashed??? So anyways after freezing for a minute we started again. Then he did it again after putting the ball out for a throw in. Game frozen again for another few minutes and eventually got going again. I figured what he wanted - he wanted me to quit.. :rolleyes:

So F-That! I held the ball for the reminder of the game BUT then when the final whistle went it was "frozen" again!!! I let it run for a while thinking that we will finish the game and go onto the menu screen; but nope! I wrote to him on PSN saying that I was away which I was. So I went to training and left the game running.

And he gets the 3-0 win! I then wrote a rather eh "not so pleasent" comment to him and I get a reply "HAHAHAHA". I wANt to know where this little sh%t lives.... :mad:

If this another bug - I'm telling you, this FIFA disc will be going into the blender...

Rant Over!!!
    You went to training, and left your ps3 on for 3 hours??????:D
    That is commitment!!:o Pity the pr!ck was thinking the same thing.

:D
    You went to training, and left your ps3 on for 3 hours??????:D
    That is commitment!!:o Pity the pr!ck was thinking the same thing.

What can I say - I'm stubborn!! :)

Was fuming though after I reset the PS3 and seen that I "lost" 3-0!!!! My first DNF in 47 games too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Rant Over!!!

Nightmare. What is wrong with these people?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,193 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

something like that happened to me too, that coupled with the fact my xbox just randomly seems to freeze sometimes in ranked games means I'm losing a lot of games that I shouldn't be :mad: That and all the stupid exploits in the game mean that I'm getting a growing dislike for the game.

Rant Over!!!

I've had that happen to me twice, it's not like 08/09 where they used to make it freeze and the loading circle would come up, in those instance they would do something as you tried skip the replay but the game NEVER restarted.

Now in the two games i've had it happen, the game has restarted 3/4 times although after the 3rd/4th time they froze it and a slightly longer pause a ''disconnection notice'' came up.

It's really pathetic the things some people do to get wins, im done with ranked games from now on, i've proved for four titles in a row i can get highly ranked.
    But you'll never get no.1 or near it because of the boosters and you always come across people like that who freeze the game or just generally play annoyingly. Also playing Madrid/Chelsea 90% of the time is getting seriously boring, i haven't picked Madrid since the demo, and only go Chelsea if they pick Madridd/Barca(but not always).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭I use the name izambard here also.

But you'll never get no.1 or near it because of the boosters and you always come across people like that who freeze the game or just generally play annoyingly. Also playing Madrid/Chelsea 90% of the time is getting seriously boring, i haven't picked Madrid since the demo, and only go Chelsea if they pick Madridd/Barca(but not always).

I'm only level four (no interest in levelling up) and only want to play on line for a bit of enjoyment, but it seems, this is impossible. Everyone picks Madrid or Chelsea and if you get the better of them they quit or force you to quit.

Last night I once again played against Chelsea and straight away observed that my opponent's tactic solely relied on short through balls to Drogba (my hatred for Drogba in this game has already been expressed). To counter this I always kept a defender deep and soon enough I went two up. On see that he could not score from his tactic, his one and only tactic, my opponent quit. This game is just frustrating at times.

Advertisement