Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭basillarkin

I was wondering is there any way to set up a league in My Tournament where by each team only play the opposition once not twice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I went from blackpool to Ajax, to napoli to burnley to spurs.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

^^^Good to know

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

I was wondering is there any way to set up a league in My Tournament where by each team only play the opposition once not twice

Nope, leagues have to be setup where teams play twice or 4 times.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Not exactly a hardcore FIFA player (actually to be honest I'm rubbish at it) but I just had my first experience of someone quitting an online game. Couple of minutes left and I go 2-0 up and the sad pr1ck quits, it's very frustrating...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭D_turbo

- bo - wrote: »
    Not exactly a hardcore FIFA player (actually to be honest I'm rubbish at it) but I just had my first experience of someone quitting an online game. Couple of minutes left and I go 2-0 up and the sad pr1ck quits, it's very frustrating...

Same situation, not gr8 but had a lad beat 4-0 and he quit, Have had 4 people quit in about 15 games just before the finsh so really put me off playing certain people

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭- bo -

Played one game since and it jsut happened me again except for being 3-0 up. I'll give it a couple more goes and if it keeps up I don't think I'll bother my hole anymore and jsut stick to doing the career modes and stuff, shame..

• Registered Users Posts: 11,988 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

Well if any of ye are on PS3 my network ID is Spracrobrat, I never quit so if we're both online I'd love a game and I've never quit before (although I have dropped out of a few games due to my arsey Vodafone home network)

People quit.... people have quit since the beginning of online gaming.... people will quit until there's an incentive not too.

Same as they do in COD and every other game you can think off.

Why do people talk about it like it's a FIFA only problem?

Be grateful you got the satisfaction of making someone quit... you're the only one who'll be missing out if you stop online gaming because most people quit when a game is beyond enjoyable.

People quit.... people have quit since the beginning of online gaming.... people will quit until there's an incentive not too.

Same as they do in COD and every other game you can think off.

Why do people talk about it like it's a FIFA only problem?

Be grateful you got the satisfaction of making someone quit... you're the only one who'll be missing out if you stop online gaming because most people quit when a game is beyond enjoyable.

It's probably because in COD if people quit, you still play the game. The process of getting into a game in FIFA is a lot more effort than any other game (finding an opponent can take an age, then pick your team, then pick your line-up, then choose tactics whereas in COD its choose what game you want to play, and easily find a game, job done). If someone quits in Uncharted, the game goes on, whereas in FIFA it stops dead and you have to do the whole rigmarole again.

Most people here would probably rather lose a game than quit, its not about getting the win, its about enjoying playing online and enjoying the game. Simply "getting someone to quit" is a hollow victory because most of us don't give a monkeys about our online record, so an extra win means shag all.

The game is about 90 mins and enjoying it, your argument implies that we'd be happier having a 100-0 win/loss record because of quitting over a regular record but with actually getting full games in. I know which I'd prefer.

• Advertisement

It's probably because in COD if people quit, you still play the game. The process of getting into a game in FIFA is a lot more effort than any other game (finding an opponent can take an age, then pick your team, then pick your line-up, then choose tactics whereas in COD its choose what game you want to play, and easily find a game, job done). If someone quits in Uncharted, the game goes on, whereas in FIFA it stops dead and you have to do the whole rigmarole again.

Most people here would probably rather lose a game than quit, its not about getting the win, its about enjoying playing online and enjoying the game. Simply "getting someone to quit" is a hollow victory because most of us don't give a monkeys about our online record, so an extra win means shag all.

The game is about 90 mins and enjoying it, your argument implies that we'd be happier having a 100-0 win/loss record because of quitting over a regular record but with actually getting full games in. I know which I'd prefer.

It's the same in every single player game as well, it's just by and large most just play footie-FPS

It's not a FIFA problem as such so just don't see the need for updates about it.

It's like posting in a thread about McDonalds, even though the bad experience came from a fellow customer who has no affiliation with the product, just they were on the premises.

Also people play online to ENJOY themselves, sitting through a game your losing 3/4-0 is never enjoyable and i don't see why some people think it's a noble cause to sit through boring games, if i enter a battlefield game where my team is spawn trapped i quit out of it.

I've quit at FIFA but i quit less then most people.
    Most will leave at 3-0 if there's less then a half left.
    All in all i make people quit maybe 1 in 3 games, so it's defo the majority who quit.

As i said you can't make people finish the games so what would you rather

1. someone who leaves the game without any fuss giving you the win
    2. someone who tries cheat the win by freezing the game and/or scoring own goals, hacking players.

Because you can't stop either and I know which one annoys me more.

It's the same in every single player game as well, it's just by and large most just play footie-FPS

It's not a FIFA problem as such so just don't see the need for updates about it.

Its a FIFA thread and if people find themselves having extreme difficulty finishing a good proportion of games, they'll rightfully complain. It is a FIFA problem, or an EA problem at least. How many people leave Uncharted games mid-game? Very few, because there are penalties for leaving.
    It's like posting in a thread about McDonalds, even though the bad experience came from a fellow customer who has no affiliation with the product, just they were on the premises.

That is one of the most bizarre analogies I've ever read, its nothing like going into McDonalds and having a bad experience because of another customer. Even if it was like it; if McDonalds continue to let other customers ruin the experience for some customers, then they are partly liable for not trying to stop it happening in the future considering its the exact same thing that happens each time.
    Also people play online to ENJOY themselves, sitting through a game your losing 3/4-0 is never enjoyable and i don't see why some people think it's a noble cause to sit through boring games, if i enter a battlefield game where my team is spawn trapped i quit out of it.

Yes people play to enjoy themselves and considering in most games someone has to win the game, someone is always not going to enjoy themselves because they're losing so by that logic, unless a game ends 0-0, its perfectly reasonable for every game to end due to quitting.

The game isnt "next goal wins" so to be perfectly at ease with people quitting because they're losing and therefore not enjoying themselves is baffling. I don't enjoy a game ending because of quitting so in the end nobody enjoys themselves. If everyone quit because they were losing, then every game would end either 0-0 or due to a d/c.
    I've quit at FIFA but i quit less then most people.
    Most will leave at 3-0 if there's less then a half left.
    All in all i make people quit maybe 1 in 3 games, so it's defo the majority who quit.

Well if the majority are doing it, it must be ok yeah?
    As i said you can't make people finish the games so what would you rather

1. someone who leaves the game without any fuss giving you the win
    2. someone who tries cheat the win by freezing the game and/or scoring own goals, hacking players.

Because you can't stop either and I know which one annoys me more.

Why does it have to be one or the other??? If EA implemented a system like in Uncharted, quitting wouldn't happen even 10% as much, so quitting can be significantly reduced.

Punish quitters by timing them out of games for an hour, that'll stop people quitting. People don't quit in Uncharted because they get timed out and game currency taken off them, yes its slightly unfair on those who legit get disconnected but it works against those who quit for the sake of it. If you can't reconnect for a half an hour, you'll think differently about pulling the plug because you conceded two goals and are having a little strop. People quit because they get away with it and aren't punished. I'll stay and take my beating and try and claw back some goals, so why should my experience be ruined by some little scrote whose got his panties in a twist because I'm leading by two goals? The same little scrote who played me in a previous game and beat me, but I stuck around.

Considering the difficulty most people have in even connecting to games, its completely understandable that they get p!ssed off at the knobs who disconnect just because they concede a couple of goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

Trying to figure out why I'm so bad at this game still, has lead me to the assists menu where I had most of them off, God knows why. Turning them all back on had me a lot more chances and a lot more posession. Is it generally considered easier with the assists turned on?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

For the league you have to play with the settings set to default so you would be better getting used to them set that way.

That is one of the most bizarre analogies I've ever read, its nothing like going into McDonalds and having a bad experience because of another customer.

It wasn't really you just complicated it and made it much worse. McDonalds could have been changed to any other brand that offers a service. People quitting has no relevance to the actual product.
    Yes people play to enjoy themselves and considering in most games someone has to win the game, someone is always not going to enjoy themselves because they're losing so by that logic, unless a game ends 0-0, its perfectly reasonable for every game to end due to quitting.

Who said anything about losing 1-0.... we're strictly talking about white wash games where one person hasn't a hope of coming back. Why would someone quit at 1/2-0 :confused:
    The game isnt "next goal wins" so to be perfectly at ease with people quitting because they're losing and therefore not enjoying themselves is baffling. I don't enjoy a game ending because of quitting so in the end nobody enjoys themselves. If everyone quit because they were losing, then every game would end either 0-0 or due to a d/c.

I'm at ease with it because it's a football game that nobody paid to play, there's no cups on offer, a fair play league or handshaking after the match.
    Well if the majority are doing it, it must be ok yeah?
    Never said it was ok or wrong, just said most people do it. I can score 2/3 goals very quick on someone and can honestly say most people will quit after 3/4 goals..... let him without sin cast the first stone.
    Why does it have to be one or the other??? If EA implemented a system like in Uncharted, quitting wouldn't happen even 10% as much, so quitting can be significantly reduced.

Punish quitters by timing them out of games for an hour, that'll stop people quitting. People don't quit in Uncharted because they get timed out and game currency taken off them, yes its slightly unfair on those who legit get disconnected but it works against those who quit for the sake of it.

Why?.... very simple really. I posted two different options that happen when a game is a white wash.

1. they quit
    2. they take the mick, score own goals, get men sent off

Punish people for leaving a game and guess what they'll do?..... they'll leave the controller down and head off leaving you running around the pitch waiting for your win.
    Or they'll get the game abandoned by getting men sent off.

I can honestly say the most annoying games I've had came against people who took the alternative to quitting

Unless you want EA to come up with a system that can track a players effort to make sure they don't leave the controller down?... but then since accounts are free you can switch between them and an hour would take maybe 3 games so you wouldn't need that many to begin with.

There's more of an incentive to play through U2 as it's a shooting game, you control your character regardless of what others are doing, and every new life is a chance to get a few kills, whereas in FIFA you could be chasing someone just trying to just get the ball back.

So you see, there is absolutely nothing that can be done about quitting, people just need to get on with it, its just a simple fact of online gaming.
    I don't see what kind of kick people get by hearing the virtual FT whistle go, I kinda accept i won when i get 3/4 up anyway.

BTW my DNF is 4% including NTL disconnections....
    .[/QUOTE]

It wasn't really you just complicated it and made it much worse. McDonalds could have been changed to any other brand that offers a service. People quitting has no relevance to the actual product.

Well my response still stands, if McDonalds or whoever don't do something, it is their problem. A lot of people play FIFA for the online element, so if they're getting no enjoyment they won't buy the next iteration. And if EA see how unenjoyable the experience is, they'll want to fix it so people will buy the game.
    Who said anything about losing 1-0.... we're strictly talking about white wash games where one person hasn't a hope of coming back. Why would someone quit at 1/2-0 :confused:

You're extremely naive if you think people only quit when its a whitewash, i've had so many games where people pull the plug at 2-0. I've sometimes spent about 10 minutes connecting to a game, then doing tactics, I'll somehow get a quick goal with 10 minutes of gametime, and then the opposition will quit, which has made the last 15 minutes worthless.

Punish people for leaving a game and guess what they'll do?..... they'll leave the controller down and head off leaving you running around the pitch waiting for your win.
    Or they'll get the game abandoned by getting men sent off.

Thats absolute rubbish, most people who quit do it and then enter a new game, nearly every time someones quit on me I've seen them in the lobby a minute or two later. Very rarely would people put the controller down, because most of them quit because they want a new game.

If they put the controller down, and not do anything they can be kicked. Look at Call of Duty etc, if you leave your controller down and do nothing, you'll be kicked. Its not any difficulty to kick players who aren't responsive, and then time them out like my proposed punishment. There's nothing you can do if they start p!ssing about, but from what I've seen people usually piss about for about 3 or 4 mins, get bored and quit, so same punishment applies, time them out. Kicking inactive players is a feature of most FPS online games, so let them put the control down, and they'll be kicked for inactivity.
    Unless you want EA to come up with a system that can track a players effort to make sure they don't leave the controller down?... but then since accounts are free you can switch between them and an hour would take maybe 3 games so you wouldn't need that many to begin with.

The system is simple, I'm not sure why you're imagining it as some incredibly hard system, kick inactive players after 1 or 2 minutes of inactivity, job done. Play a FPS and put down your controller, and you'll get kicked eventually. Servers can be set to kick after a period of inactivity, so make it 1-2 minutes.
    There's more of an incentive to play through U2 as it's a shooting game, you control your character regardless of what others are doing, and every new life is a chance to get a few kills, whereas in FIFA you could be chasing someone just trying to just get the ball back.

Nah I totally disagree, I've played U2 and COD where I've been on absolutely useless teams, or you play against teams which are clans and are well drilled and the team has absolutely no hope. I've played games of Bad Company 2 where the opposing team are literally camped outside our base (the only spawn point) and have us pinned in with absolutely no hope. Its the same level of difficulty if not more difficult getting back into that game than a game of FIFA, and considering I've experienced so many quits at 1-0 and 2-0, the other team could easily put on a comeback.
    So you see, there is absolutely nothing that can be done about quitting, people just need to get on with it, its just a simple fact of online gaming.
    I don't see what kind of kick people get by hearing the virtual FT whistle go, I kinda accept i won when i get 3/4 up anyway.

Why do you keep saying there is absolutely nothing that can be done?? It's done on other games. Use the U2 method of timing out quitters, and use the method used by any online shooter of kicking and then timing out inactive players. Thats a very simple solution. It's not reinventing the wheel, its using a system that already exists.

And some people enjoy actually scoring some goals and holding out for a lead, we don't all play "first to three" or "first to lead by three", and a lot of people don't enjoy the game being cut off mid-game, whether its in FIFA or COD or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,478 ✭✭✭brianregan09

Okay guys haven't had Fifa long and looking fo some good games on xbox live add me brianregan09 getting sick of people quitting on me the whole time

You're extremely naive if you think people only quit when its a whitewash, i've had so many games where people pull the plug at 2-0. I've sometimes spent about 10 minutes connecting to a game, then doing tactics, I'll somehow get a quick goal with 10 minutes of gametime, and then the opposition will quit, which has made the last 15 minutes worthless.

Thats absolute rubbish, most people who quit do it and then enter a new game, nearly every time someones quit on me I've seen them in the lobby a minute or two later. Very rarely would people put the controller down, because most of them quit because they want a new game.

I never said they only quit when it's a whitewash, but generally when a game is out of reach(adding a late second etc...) they quit.

I never said they wouldnt just start another match, obviously with the system as it is, people quit and restart, i said if a ban would occur they'll either leave the controller down(as much as possible if you want to pretend a time out system has being implemented), get men sent off or piss about.
    Why do you keep saying there is absolutely nothing that can be done?? It's done on other games. Use the U2 method of timing out quitters, and use the method used by any online shooter of kicking and then timing out inactive players. Thats a very simple solution. It's not reinventing the wheel, its using a system that already exists.

A system for a very different style of game. 1v1 sport versus 'team shooter'

I'm saying it because you will NEVER be able to make some little ***** sitting at home in Coventry put effort into giving you a competitive game. You could ban for leaving but you can't ban for lack of effort which is what it will lead to if they're forced to play on.

Just 5mins ago i played a lad who i was beating 2-0 before he started sliding and getting players booked yet there was only 20mins gone, i got another one and he resorted to passing the ball around his defence and i stole it for a 4th(just in case he tried to play again a 4th was needed as it was early) before he started it again and when i got it back that time i had to kick it out to start HT after 2/3 real minutes of ''stoppage time''

He quit at HT.

Give me a straight up quitter any day over someone like that.
    That is the exact kinda **** i'm arguing will happen if they implemented a ban system.

He wouldnt have quit at HT and i'd still be sitting through it now 10mins later.

I'm not disagreeing with anything you say as such(bar the bans for that reason).
    I'm a fair player, I don't milk celebrations, pass it around the back, quit etc... unless someone is just being a dickhead.

I'm just arguing about the practicality of the system you're in favour off as I just see it leading to a more negative experience.

So you can either take an 'honest' quitter or you'll have players making your experience an absolute misery by being as negative as possible. It would help in minor cases as some who would have quit will play on, although the majority will just do everything they can to steal the win(try to make you quit) or end the game(get men sent off, game finished after 5 i think?)

It also might be more practical on Xbox live since players have one account(although they can ruin the game) but on the PS3 since accounts are free they could quit the game and switch account and be playing again in a few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I think that both of you are making very good points. My opinion was broadly speaking in line with that of FireballPitcher, but gilberto has made me see things the other way a little bit.

I don't quit myself (DNF is 3% but that's down to my connection occasionally dropping out - which annoyingly tends to only happen when I'm playing well!), but I don't get angry when other people quit, I just think it's pretty funny and I'm happy to take my 3-0 win and move on. But people play these games for different reasons and I guess if someone is getting humiliated relatively early in the game then they've paid their money and I guess I can see why they'd choose to quit.

Perhaps the best option for EA would be to have different settings so that those who quit can play in a lobby where there are no repercussions for quitting and those who don't quit can play in lobbies where people can't log back in for an hour if they disconnect.

Beefy78 wrote: »
    I think that both of you are making very good points. My opinion was broadly speaking in line with that of FireballPitcher, but gilberto has made me see things the other way a little bit.

I don't quit myself (DNF is 3% but that's down to my connection occasionally dropping out - which annoyingly tends to only happen when I'm playing well!), but I don't get angry when other people quit, I just think it's pretty funny and I'm happy to take my 3-0 win and move on. But people play these games for different reasons and I guess if someone is getting humiliated relatively early in the game then they've paid their money and I guess I can see why they'd choose to quit.

Perhaps the best option for EA would be to have different settings so that those who quit can play in a lobby where there are no repercussions for quitting and those who don't quit can play in lobbies where people can't log back in for an hour if they disconnect.

There were one or two things that were coming to mind when i made my last post but i said i'd leave them as the post was long enough.

But I'd rather see EA concentrate on the problems in the game before they go implementing anything else.

Team Pressing- I've had a few for various reasons passing it around their defence, i switched to pressing and all out attack yet no more then my two strikers will push up. They need to add an option for that, considering the game doesn't end while the ball is in one half.

Player feedback- this would be 10 times better then a ban system, as if the player decided to play negatively(passing it around the back) you could still spot something like this in a reputation system and quit before you even have to play someone.

As it is now, you can't see what their DNF is, and anyway DNF isn't a proper indication of how much a douche someone is. A rep system wouldn't be 100% either but it would defo reveal some of the bigger culprits who ruin the community

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

When searching for custom matches you can specify a DNF% for the opponent to be under, from 5% to 100% in 5% increments. You can keep the default settings and just specify a DNF% then for games against players that shouldn't be of the quitting variety.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 sethooglr

Does anyone know how to play online in a different teams jersey? i just playing barcelona wearing the arsenal shirt?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Servers appear to be down according to Twitter and the likes.Down for anyone else? (EA server issues.Theres a first )

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

The FIFA community has to be one of the most wanker scorn, between quitting, scamming and phising going on in ultimate team.

I haven't played a game online since Black Ops came out, threw it on there tonight for the first time in ages, first game, 1-0 up after 8 mins, the guy quits. Now I remember why I stopped playing in the first place.

Second game, the guy goes 2-0 up, very good player, I pull one back, and he knocks the ball around the back for the rest of the game.

All I'd like to do is play a few games after work, playing fairly & for a laugh, finishing the game whether you win or lose, etc. The general FIFA community can f*ck off, tbh.

Better of sticking to unranked... I was kind of enjoying it until i made the mistake of going back to ranked.

Least if someone's taking the mick you can just quit out.

My football days are over till Sept, the general game-play was the major killer with lofted through ball bandits being the order of the day. Tried switch to PES and it was just awful.

Big year coming up, it's been going downhill since 09 big time. They need to get proper testers in, people who are actually good at the game and not a few Canadians who play a game or two a week. That could solve a lot of it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Soby wrote: »
    Servers appear to be down according to Twitter and the likes.Down for anyone else? (EA server issues.Theres a first )

No surprise there anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

Servers were utter shíte tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

Better of sticking to unranked... I was kind of enjoying it until i made the mistake of going back to ranked.

That was unranked.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

This is beyond a joke.Im close to boycotting future ea games at this stage.There servers are so bad.Only got the Ps3 recently and from having had Fifa for the Xbox was destorying all the lower ranked player but now bout 90% of my defeats have been me loosing my connection to the bloody servers (Yet keeping my connection to PSN)

• Advertisement

Soby wrote: »
    This is beyond a joke.Im close to boycotting future ea games at this stage.There servers are so bad.Only got the Ps3 recently and from having had Fifa for the Xbox was destorying all the lower ranked player but now bout 90% of my defeats have been me loosing my connection to the bloody servers (Yet keeping my connection to PSN)

That happen me too,very annoying

Advertisement