Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FIFA 11 - Main Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

Enigma IE wrote: »
    Anyone else having problems connecting to EA game servers tonight? XBL.

Same for me and a lot of others on the PS3. Servers all over the shop this evening. We're trying to play clubs now and it's acting the cúnt.

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭claiva

I assume it was the patch undo or whatever. Why did they do that ?
    I had gotten used to playing with Chelski with Bosco, now he's gone !!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Desire.

I was also having a few problems connecting to the servers last night.

Just looking at the leaderboard.... seems a new type of cheating.

Guys with 300-400 streaks, don't appear to be boosting as there are different names in their played lists but there is no way you can play fellas near your rank when your high and win that many in a row while scoring 3-9 and not conceding one goal.

Wonder are they hijacking the game and stopping the opponent from being able to play and scoring away?

All from obscure places so looks to be ''flag glitch'' in there too.

Saw one lad with 16 so checked his games and he had losses in them.
    Something fishy going on.

Was just reading on the EA forum in the FIWC thread one of the qualifiers who has won it in 2008 clearly cheated(seen on his profile) to make the points but EA have let him in anyway.

Makes a mockery of having a world championships..... I'd beat most of what's there(125-17-27) compared to lads who boost accounts.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭Philly_C

So are you back playing Fifa now or what? Wouldn't mind giving ya a couple of games to see if you're as good as ya say ya are:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,733 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Those leaderboards are pure corrupt anyhow.. dont know why people pay any heed to them. Even the Irish manual leaderboard has lads with 150 odd straight wins beating the likes of Real 10-0 with the might of UCD:rolleyes:

That FIWC is just as bad for all the hype it gets from EA. No offence to the assisted/default setting players but if yer gonna win a the 'World Cup' of Fifa and a fairly decent prize to boot, surely it should go to the person who put the effort in and played the game with no assistance enabled from the computer.

Philly_C wrote: »
    So are you back playing Fifa now or what? Wouldn't mind giving ya a couple of games to see if you're as good as ya say ya are:p

Well I sold it before xmas, but my little cousins one was in the house and I was bored of BF:BC2 so I stuck it on...then I kept winning so I've played a good few games over the past few days.

I'll play ya whenever you like: Tribal_Army
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    Those leaderboards are pure corrupt anyhow.. dont know why people pay any heed to them. Even the Irish manual leaderboard has lads with 150 odd straight wins beating the likes of Real 10-0 with the might of UCD:rolleyes:

That FIWC is just as bad for all the hype it gets from EA. No offence to the assisted/default setting players but if yer gonna win a the 'World Cup' of Fifa and a fairly decent prize to boot, surely it should go to the person who put the effort in and played the game with no assistance enabled from the computer.

As i said though, it seems a bit different then boosting.

The games are against different players, by random scores(AOL is higher then 15), it looks like they're doing something to get the win either way.
    You can't win 400 games in a row.

I did 42 or so in 2009 and it was seriously hard, plenty of close calls along the way.

I'll play ya whenever you like: Tribal_Army

Is that on PS3?

Desire. wrote: »
    Is that on PS3?

Ya PSN.....

Don't mind playing anyone who doesn't spam the lofted through balls, likes to try play proper football and not hoard Madrid or Chelsea.... too many clowns online.

Has anyone tried playing with different commentary?

In older versions they came as downloads on the PSN store, all were free bar the alternative English.

Just came across it while altering the volume and there's a good choice of languages.

Been playing with Spanish for the last while.... nice change from Gray/Tyler.

Going to try a few out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Just looking at the leaderboard.... seems a new type of cheating.

Guys with 300-400 streaks, don't appear to be boosting as there are different names in their played lists but there is no way you can play fellas near your rank when your high and win that many in a row while scoring 3-9 and not conceding one goal.

Wonder are they hijacking the game and stopping the opponent from being able to play and scoring away?

All from obscure places so looks to be ''flag glitch'' in there too.

Saw one lad with 16 so checked his games and he had losses in them.
    Something fishy going on.

Was just reading on the EA forum in the FIWC thread one of the qualifiers who has won it in 2008 clearly cheated(seen on his profile) to make the points but EA have let him in anyway.

Makes a mockery of having a world championships..... I'd beat most of what's there(125-17-27) compared to lads who boost accounts.

Too true mate. Here is a story that shows how this isnt the first time.

Back in FIFA 07 (my hay-day :pac:) there was a glitch where if a player had dribbling over 90 (C.Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc) you could flick the right stick repeatedly over and over and your player would sprint at 3x the normal speed. This glitch was found about two weeks before the grand final in Amsterdam, and we all knew how to do it, but it was decided that at the finals it was all about legitimate play. Except for this one guy, from Holland, who did it all through the group stages, picking Brazil, giving it to Ronaldinho, super-sprint in a straight line past everyone, cut inside and finesse it in for a goal. He got to the final, and he played a guy from Austria who was really a great guy and a legitimate player, but he didnt stand a chance, whats worse? The final was shown on a big screen, where all 128 contestants (including myself) and around 2000 spectators saw what he was doing. EA did nothing. Me and a few lads I knew from a FIFA community that is no longer around started booing him when he did it, and sure enough, the whole arena was booing this kid. But EA still did nothing, and the guy walked away with a cheque for €20,000. And he was cheating. At an EA event. In front of EA's board and infront of the designers of the game, and nothing was done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,375 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Mikeyt086 wrote: »
    Too true mate. Here is a story that shows how this isnt the first time.

Back in FIFA 07 (my hay-day :pac:) there was a glitch where if a player had dribbling over 90 (C.Ronaldo, Ronaldinho etc) you could flick the right stick repeatedly over and over and your player would sprint at 3x the normal speed. This glitch was found about two weeks before the grand final in Amsterdam, and we all knew how to do it, but it was decided that at the finals it was all about legitimate play. Except for this one guy, from Holland, who did it all through the group stages, picking Brazil, giving it to Ronaldinho, super-sprint in a straight line past everyone, cut inside and finesse it in for a goal. He got to the final, and he played a guy from Austria who was really a great guy and a legitimate player, but he didnt stand a chance, whats worse? The final was shown on a big screen, where all 128 contestants (including myself) and around 2000 spectators saw what he was doing. EA did nothing. Me and a few lads I knew from a FIFA community that is no longer around started booing him when he did it, and sure enough, the whole arena was booing this kid. But EA still did nothing, and the guy walked away with a cheque for €20,000. And he was cheating. At an EA event. In front of EA's board and infront of the designers of the game, and nothing was done.

amazing the lengths EA will go to avoid admitting game-breaking flaws.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

If I was the Austrian guy I would have kicked the sh!t out of him

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I don't think we'll ever reach the stage where there aren't any exploits and flaws to the gameplay. I spent a while on the EA forums last night (for a reason I'll explain below) and couldn't believe the bile being spewed by posters on there simply because FIFA 11 isn't perfect. I've been playing football games since Emlyn Hughes International Soccer, and FIFA 11 stacks up pretty well with any. It's not perfect but I don't have expectations that it will be. If people want EA to rip the whole thing up and start again then they should stop buying the game. Whilst they continue to buy this generation of FIFA games, EA will just update and tweak the engine every year.

FWIW I have always been a Pro Evo fanboy. Every time I put the FIFA disc into my PS3 a little bit of me dies inside. But right now FIFA 11 is the best football game around and personally I thank EA Sports for creating it.

Anyway, does anyone on here play Clubs? Because since the latest patch last week, Clubs has been almost unplayable. We have to try maybe 20 times to find a game whereas prior to that we've never had a problem. Has anyone else had this problem?

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    amazing the lengths EA will go to avoid admitting game-breaking flaws.
    That just it, we asked their reps why they were allowing cheating and they said things like "Its not cheating, Ronaldinho's acceleration is great." :rolleyes:
    Wolfe Tone wrote: »
    If I was the Austrian guy I would have kicked the sh!t out of him

His name was Wolf too. Haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭Renn

Guys, you know the custom tactics...if I'm using this online what sort of effect does it have on your team? There's three different areas - Build Up Play, Chance Creation and Defence. I can see how tweaking the bars in 'Defence' would have an impact but are the other two areas for manager use only? I can't see how changing something like shooting has an effect in a head to head game as you're the person that's actually in control of the player shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

If shooting is low, CPU controlled players (more so the midfielders I think) will make more of an effort to get closer to goal to hopefully be in better scoring positions, but this can leave you with a straight run at your defence if it's cleared quickly. If it's set to high, they're more likely to hang back 30 yards or so from goal, hopefully in positions for long shots, which are less likely to score from but plugs the gaps and hopefully reduces the chances of a counter.

Similarly for crossing, high crossing will see players try to steam into the box, and low will see the opposite, preferring to perhaps look for the ball to feet near where you are.

Fast build up play will see players push forward as fast as possible once you have the ball, and slower will see midfielders find space and not rush aimlessly forward, etc.

It's all about finding a balance that suits how you play. If you're really good at passing and creating space, slower build up play and lower shooting would probably allow better use of your players.

Or so is my understanding of it all...

Actually, here's a full blown description of the settings I just found online.
    BUILD-UP PLAY

Influences your players in FIFA 11 when you have possession in defence and midfield.

SPEED
    The speed setting is very important for your tactics in FIFA 11. Speed in build-up play means the movement of your players off the ball and the way you want to pass. Important to know this does not influence your speed of passing but the way you maintain possession.

Slow:
    Set the slider to slow when you are a possession ‘freak’. Players will be selective in their forward run and trying to find good space for passing instead of making forward runs.

Fast:
    Set the slider to fast when you are a counter team and prefer to get the ball to the front as quickly as possible. Your teammembers expect forward passes and do more forward runs.

TIP! Build-up speed is very important for your tactics. FIFA 11 requires patience and possession and good passing. Use therefore balanced speed (between 40 and 55).

PASSING
    Passing in build-up means the length of passing you prefer and the way your teammember will look to find space.

Short:
    If you prefer short passing like teams as Barcelona and Arsenal you don’t use much long passes. Players closest to the ball will come to support.

Mixed:
    Your team uses short and long passes.

Long:
    You prefer to play long passes, looking for chances over the top or to find your targetman (f.e. Crouch, Drogba). Your players farther from the ball will attempt to find space instead of your teammembers closely to the ball who will anticipate on the long ball.

TIP! Our advice is to use mixed passing settings (between 37 and 60) and try to tweak them. If you prefer possession and short passing set the slider around 45.

POSITIONING
    Build-up setting (organised or free-form) for positioning in defence and midfield.

Organised:
    Your players will stay organised in defence and midfield and stay in their positions in build-up which gives structure.

Free-form:
    Your players are using more freedom, make runs out of position and sometimes swap from position with other players. More dangerous with loss of possession but less predictable.

TIP! Organised is more safe and less dangerous when you lose possession. So use this when you are not sure. However, free-form is less predicitable so try a match against a friend so you can find out if it suits you.

CHANCE CREATION

Influences your players at your opponents 18 yards box.

PASSING
    Amount of risk you want to take to attempt an decisive pass in the attacking third and how often teammates will look to gamble on runs through/behind the defence when in the attacking third.

Safe:
    You want to maintain possession and rarely use passes that may risk losing the ball.
    Players will ensure that the ball possessor has safe options when positioning themselves, and will wait for a good but rarely opportunity to make a penetrating run.

Risky:
    You are always looking for the decisive pass and take the risk to lose ball possession. Your teammember will look for every opportunity to make runs behind the defence.

CROSSING
    How many teammates and the effort of your teammates to get in the box and waiting for the cross.

Little:
    You rarely use crosses. Your teammembers try to run out of the crossing zone and look for open spaces so you can cut the ball back to a teammate for a shot or maintain possession.

Lots:
    Crosses are very important. Your teammembers will make earlier runs into the box and wait for your cross.

SHOOTING

Little:
    You are patient, and only shoot if the opportunity is extremely good. Most important thing for you is possession.

Lots:
    Shooting is your life! You only have Frank Lampards and Steven Gerards in your team. Your teammembers will make the extra effort to position themselves looking for shooting opportunities.

POSITIONING

Organised:
    Your players will stay organised in defence and midfield and stay in their positions in which gives structure but is more predictable when attacking.

Free-form:
    Your players are using more freedom, make runs out of position and sometimes swap from position with other players around the 18 yards box.

DEFENCE

The approach of your team when don’t have ball possession.

PRESSURE

Deep:
    Your team drops back and allows your opponent time in their own half. However, your midfield and defence will be compact and organized.

Medium:
    Your team will start to make pressure on your half of the pitch.

High:
    Your team will apply full pressure in your opponent’s half. Wide midfielders and fullbacks will push high on the ball side to make it difficult for the opposition to play out. This tactic can be effective but leaves lots of open space in midfield and defence. Dangerous against more experienced opponents.

AGRESSION

Contain:
    The team tries to contain the ball possessor, with players rarely diving into tackles or trying to outnumber the ball carrier.

Press:
    The team dives into tackles hard, and will slide whenever possible.

Double:
    The team will look to tackle fiercely and in numbers, sending an extra player to the ball possessor as often as possible. While you can stifle the offence’s flow with this tactic, you can quickly wear out your team. If you start the game off with this tactic, your players will run out of steam around the 60 minute mark. At this point they just won’t have the energy to press with the same level of aggressiveness. You are better off using this tactic in spurts during the game rather than making it the focus for the entire 90 minutes.

TEAM WIDTH

Narrow:
    The team will defend compactly. Players will pinch in on the far side to cover teammates and allow for ball side pressure. When the ball is central, the team will pack the middle of the pitch and allow more room on the wings

Wide:
    The team will not pinch as much. Players on the far side will mark opponent tightly, sacrificing cover in favour of making it difficult for the opposition to pull them out of shape.

DEFENDER LINE

Cover:
    This makes through balls more difficult to play, but allows the opposition to pass more easy around your 18 yards box.

Offside Trap:
    The team plays with a flat backline, and looks for the opportunity to step up and catch the opposition offside. The opposition won’t have the freedom of pushing high, but it’s also a risky tactic. When the trap doesn’t work it usually results in 1-on-1 situations.

Probably explains things a bit better than I can.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

I've never really looked into these tactics before. Can these be set up as default (like the quick tactics can be) or do you need to change settings every game when playing online?

When you save them, you can replace the existing Quick Tactics, so that you can change to one of these after pressing down on the d-pad. Do this once, then just press down on the d-pad in any game to have it available.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

When I'm playing ranked matches online lads, the Inter team is completely different to when I play a friend online. Is there anyway of playing a friend game with the proper (updated) squads?

Sorry if it's a complete noob question but it was really annoying me last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,459 ✭✭✭T-b0n3

nicklauski wrote: »
    When I'm playing ranked matches online lads, the Inter team is completely different to when I play a friend online. Is there anyway of playing a friend game with the proper (updated) squads?

Sorry if it's a complete noob question but it was really annoying me last night.

I noticed that too, but no idea how to fix it, sorry!

Yeah, play your friend in a ranked match and it should be fine. You have to create a game lobby and invite your friend to the lobby and play from there.

My Fifa 11 > Edit Teams > Squads > Download Updates.

That should have your ranked and unranked squads matching. You might need to Reset All Squads first, which is in the same Squads menu.

Had to do this recently when I noticed Lokomotiv's ranked squad had new players, but didn't unranked. Guessing it's because I'd edited their default formation and starting eleven.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

Töpher wrote: »
    My Fifa 11 > Edit Teams > Squads > Download Updates.

That should have your ranked and unranked squads matching. You might need to Reset All Squads first, which is in the same Squads menu.

Had to do this recently when I noticed Lokomotiv's ranked squad had new players, but didn't unranked. Guessing it's because I'd edited their default formation and starting eleven.

Thanks Töpher, I'll check it out later. :)

I notice a problem with the squads everytime I play Ultimate Team and then leave, it changes the names to rediculous names ie. Wayne Rooney my arena player is W.Ruben Castro.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

Wayne Ruben? Sounds that same if you say it really fast :P

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

Cant see a video thread around.But check out this awesome video.class editing

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭Beanmachine

I just started playing online yesterday, didn't realise that everyone who's losing just quits the game? I have played around 25matches won or was winning them all and only 4 games have gone the distance. How do you combat this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

You can't combat arseholes quitting it goes down a lot as you move up levels

Advertisement