Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

*** QUESTIONS *** All non specific gig questions in here.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Toast

If its sold out they usually have people checking tickets at the doors to keep you in the right section. If not you can usually freely move between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 MacDurce

@Joe_tas

I didn't have any problem moving about at Scroobius Pip when I was there recently so you should be fine, they didn't even have someone checking the tickets at the door to the main arena, just make sure you get there super early as they might put people on the doors later on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Was thinking of going to a gig in the National Concert Hall. Is there a dress code?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,888 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Was thinking of going to a gig in the National Concert Hall. Is there a dress code?

I was there last year to see Spiritualized and there was no dress code.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

Hi everyone

I hope I'm in the right place for just a general question. Has anyone been to a gig in Vicar St before?

I have a few questions:

1. Where is the actual entrance? Is it the door down the alley off Thomas Street or is on Thomas Street?

2. I've heard that they open the outside doors before the official opening time to get people into the bar. Is it easy to see where you need to queue for the inside doors? I don't want to lose my place in line.

Any info would be great as I have never been there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

FiveSpice wrote: »
    Hi everyone

I hope I'm in the right place for just a general question. Has anyone been to a gig in Vicar St before?

I have a few questions:

1. Where is the actual entrance? Is it the door down the alley off Thomas Street or is on Thomas Street?

2. I've heard that they open the outside doors before the official opening time to get people into the bar. Is it easy to see where you need to queue for the inside doors? I don't want to lose my place in line.

Any info would be great as I have never been there.

1.The entrance is in the small alley by Thomas Street, quite visible from the main street.
    2.Yes. Normally people queue on the left side as you enter the bar, it is the only convenient place for people to queue. From my experience not many people queue and unless you want to be right upfront, you might be able to avoid the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 FiveSpice

Irish Aris wrote: »
    1.The entrance is in the small alley by Thomas Street, quite visible from the main street.
    2.Yes. Normally people queue on the left side as you enter the bar, it is the only convenient place for people to queue. From my experience not many people queue and unless you want to be right upfront, you might be able to avoid the hassle.

Hi,

Thank you so so much for getting back to me :)

So the entrance is on Vicar St itself? (the alley off Thomas St? - just want to make 100% sure)

I really appreciate it - i get so anxious going somewhere that i haven't been and i do want to be up the front at this gig so wanted to make sure i knew where to go.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

FiveSpice wrote: »
    Hi,

Thank you so so much for getting back to me :)

So the entrance is on Vicar St itself? (the alley off Thomas St? - just want to make 100% sure)

I really appreciate it - i get so anxious going somewhere that i haven't been and i do want to be up the front at this gig so wanted to make sure i knew where to go.

Thanks again :)

yes. It is practically 10-15 meters off Thomas street. The bar looks at the main street, and as soon as you enter the alley, you will see the bouncers on the right.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

What is the likelihood of getting to the standing section in Vicar St. if you have a seated ticket? I've never been there before. Can you move between the two without trouble?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

What is the likelihood of getting to the standing section in Vicar St. if you have a seated ticket? I've never been there before. Can you move between the two without trouble?

Here's an idea, if you have a ticket for a seat, sit in your seat. If everyone with a seated ticket got the idea to move downstairs, there would be a serious fire hazard problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

JJ wrote: »
    Here's an idea, if you have a ticket for a seat, sit in your seat. If everyone with a seated ticket got the idea to move downstairs, there would be a serious fire hazard problem.

Thanks for your morally righteous opinion... lesson learned.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,298 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

The condensed version....
    • Planned to take the missus to see Jamie Cullum for her bday (her favourite)
    • Playing in Luxembourg around that time & was able to get cheap flights so booked that, as well as transfers from the airport.
    • Arsed around for 2 days after this, looking for a ticketmaster gift card I had before buying the tickets, at which point the concert tickets had sold out.
    • Can't seem to find tickets for the gig on sale anywhere else like viagogo or ebay.
    • Contacted the venue who were also selling tickets to see if any further will go on sale and am awaiting a response.

Do I have any alternatives? I've never used viagogo or bought tickets on ebay before, should I try and cancel my flights or take my chances on something coming up for sale closer to the gig? Any further suggestions???

MODS: If you feel like this is requesting tickets, then feel free to remove, although I guess i'm just looking more for help/advice from regular concert-goers on the continent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lc180

retalivity wrote: »
    The condensed version....
    • Planned to take the missus to see Jamie Cullum for her bday (her favourite)
    • Playing in Luxembourg around that time & was able to get cheap flights so booked that, as well as transfers from the airport.
    • Arsed around for 2 days after this, looking for a ticketmaster gift card I had before buying the tickets, at which point the concert tickets had sold out.
    • Can't seem to find tickets for the gig on sale anywhere else like viagogo or ebay.
    • Contacted the venue who were also selling tickets to see if any further will go on sale and am awaiting a response.

Do I have any alternatives? I've never used viagogo or bought tickets on ebay before, should I try and cancel my flights or take my chances on something coming up for sale closer to the gig? Any further suggestions???

MODS: If you feel like this is requesting tickets, then feel free to remove, although I guess i'm just looking more for help/advice from regular concert-goers on the continent

Are your flights refundable? You might lose all you €€€ if you cancel.

I dont use third party sites for tickets so cant help you there but I have been to a sold out gig in Den Atelier and for what its worth I didnt see any ticket touts outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrsreid2013

I have used getmein twice very recently and will be again for a another concert maybe try there

• Registered Users Posts: 2 mrsreid2013

Own question here, is it possible to hang around to meet a singer after a gig in the academy? Hoping to meet Kacey Musgraves after her gig there on the 10th

• Registered Users Posts: 9,790 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Own question here, is it possible to hang around to meet a singer after a gig in the academy? Hoping to meet Kacey Musgraves after her gig there on the 10th
    Yeah, but depending on which entrance she comes out you could be at the wrong one. Usually a lot of acts will sign merch after the gigs, take photos etc. And I knew someone who went to her Whelans gig who said she was very friendly.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭brianh576

Can i advertise a gig that i am running on this page...

brianh576 wrote: »
    Can i advertise a gig that i am running on this page...

Here's the policy here on pimping gigs according to the charter:

Try and give as much detail in the thread title within reason, such as the acts that will be performing, the city and/or venue, and the day/date, etc. Within the thread, remember to include further details such as price, doors opening, promotions, etc. Refrain from continual bumping. If a thread has no posts except bumps it will be deleted, possible bans to b given out.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 niamhy94

lol

Has any boardies ever been to a comedy gig in Whelans before? Just wondering is it seated or standing for this kind of show.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭i124Q

I want to leave EP on Sunday around lunch time but Marathon buses and Bus Eireann only start at 8/9pm?

Any other bus companies leaving EP on Sunday daytime to Dublin City?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

lc180 wrote: »
    Has any boardies ever been to a comedy gig in Whelans before? Just wondering is it seated or standing for this kind of show.

I saw the Axis of Awesome there (they're musical comedy though), there were a few rows of seats right at the front and around the balcony - just normal bar chairs, not assigned- and the rest was standing.

I saw the Axis of Awesome there (they're musical comedy though), there were a few rows of seats right at the front and around the balcony - just normal bar chairs, not assigned- and the rest was standing.

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,626 ✭✭✭bren2001

i124Q wrote: »
    I want to leave EP on Sunday around lunch time but Marathon buses and Bus Eireann only start at 8/9pm?

Any other bus companies leaving EP on Sunday daytime to Dublin City?

Thanks

You could get the shuttle to Portlaois train station and get the train or bus up. 5e for the shuttle.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭josie19

Does anyone know how restricted k25 and k26 would be in the Circle in the Olympia? Is it just a corner of the stage or is it likely to be a pillar? Olympia layout attached

Olympia.jpg

josie19 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how restricted k25 and k26 would be in the Circle in the Olympia? Is it just a corner of the stage or is it likely to be a pillar? Olympia layout attached

Olympia.jpg

Its a big pillar that blocks one side of the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

How do you sign up to the Ticketmaster mailing list, lads? Thought I was already on it but I never get emails about pre-sale tickets or anything?

Duff wrote: »
    How do you sign up to the Ticketmaster mailing list, lads? Thought I was already on it but I never get emails about pre-sale tickets or anything?

When you are creating your ticketmaster account there is an opt in/out button. You don't really get presale information, just dates things will go on sale. You need to be on the mcd, aiken or relevant artist mailing list to get codes for presale. Otherwise, just keep track on this forum, codes get shared about.

Duff wrote: »

If you want to be in the know about 3Arena pre-sales, you need to be a 3 customer and subscribe to their text alerts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,542 ✭✭✭Duff

JJ wrote: »
    If you want to be in the know about 3Arena pre-sales, you need to be a 3 customer and subscribe to their text alerts.

Already am. Was thinking more along the lines of smaller gigs in the Olympia/ Academy etc.

Advertisement