Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Megayacht on Sir John Rogerson's Quay

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:23am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭

If anyone is interested in seeing some real bling. This bad boy has arrived in Dublin this morning.

2008-07-03-Skat.jpg

Specs

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I asked the owners to bring it over so I could check it out - I intend to win the euromillions lotto tonight, and dont want to have to wait too long to get my tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,510 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

nice piece of kit.

a gun emplacement on the front wouldn't look out of place either, got a military look about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭magotch07

anyone know who owns it

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,721 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Definitely a GI Joe inspired bit of kit.

A large pic here
    http://ship.spottingworld.com/images/d/d3/Skat_in_Dartmouth_-_starboard_side_view.JPG

As well as

Well Charles Simonyi the owner of Skat... is an odd cookie... very smart guy... late 50sh.

He is a billionaire - started as pennyless Hungarian refugee... US citizen... used to work in Denmark...

Never married, geek... no children... had a long romantic relationship with Martha Stewart !!!

He "invented" Excel... that is where the money is from...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

He called it Skcat? I dread to think what goes on inside

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Here's a pic of it in the Docklands this morning, it's a massive thing...

x2_20c3996

• Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

• Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I've been looking at it all day. I think I'd settle on being a crew member rather than pay the €70 mil and upkeep.Although a beautiful ship,I can't really see the attraction of owning such a thing. Perhaps I'm weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

it costs $250,000 just to fill it up with fuel:eek:

i cant find out the build cost but some website mentioned build costs of between $50-$80million for yachts of this size,

the interior is fecking horrible though

http://www.superyachttimes.com/yachts/details/523/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

dubtom wrote: »
    I've been looking at it all day. I think I'd settle on being a crew member rather than pay the €70 mil and upkeep.Although a beautiful ship,I can't really see the attraction of owning such a thing. Perhaps I'm weird.

It means you are ****ing rich and can tell poeple to go away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

mike65 wrote: »
    It means you are ****ing rich and can tell poeple to go away.

I'm ****ing poor and I can tell people to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I think it's ugly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Rashers wrote: »
    I think it's ugly.

Me too, I've decided not to buy.

The name isn't great either is it? Skat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭gurramok

Had a gander myself today, here's the pics

25072010846.jpg

25072010849.jpg

25072010851.jpg

Its a very clean boat, just look at the seating area.

25072010847.jpg

On the subject of boating, the Queen Victoria cruise liner is in dock today.

25072010858.jpg

25072010856.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

gurramok wrote: »
    On the subject of boating, the Queen Victoria cruise liner is in dock today.

25072010858.jpg

25072010856.jpg

Now there's a vessel!

I'd say it would be fun turning her 360 degrees! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Bob_Latchford

What struck me about that yacht despite its mighty military appearance was how damn clean it is.

They must scrub it deep down every day :D

Advertisement