Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Davd wrote: »
    Just a quick question - I signed up to a contract and since got a 250MB data add on. Am I also entitled to leave the contract or is it only for those that have a data plan included in their original contract?

Everyone.

Has anyone managed to get out of contract without needing to surrender their phone?

Anyone ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Has anyone managed to get out of contract without needing to surrender their phone?

Yes, plent have, people that posted at the start of this thread.

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Yes, plent have, people that posted at the start of this thread.

Sorry, meant to say anyone since they've started asking for them back a few days ago?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Covey wrote: »
    Sorry, meant to say anyone since they've started asking for them back a few days ago?

there is no few days ago? i got out of it yesterday and they didnt ask for my phone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

there is no few days ago? i got out of it yesterday and they didnt ask for my phone

Yesterday morning?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

I wish that were true but it's not. That scenario is specifically outlined in the contract.

Eh, no it's not?

Contract is being offered for surrender by Meteor, as they are obliged to do because of the change in the terms. Handset no longer belongs to Meteor as it's not a hire/purchase or rental agreement. It's not like we're without precedent here, O2 had the exact same problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Damn, I wish I had read this thread yesterday :(

jbwan wrote: »
    Eh, no it's not?

Contract is being offered for surrender by Meteor, as they are obliged to do because of the change in the terms. Handset no longer belongs to Meteor as it's not a hire/purchase or rental agreement. It's not like we're without precedent here, O2 had the exact same problem.

I'm only speaking for myself, but it's in my contract in black and white.

Paragraph/section?

I read through mine in detail yesterday and there's nothing providing for the provider surrendering the contract, only a penalty for premature termination by the customer which is not the case here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I know what you mean Covey, but the quandry is does a unaccepted amendment to the contract constitute a change to the minimum term. I have a friend who will be a qualified solicitor in a few months he has said people often put things in contracts that are not legal or don't abide by regulations. The reason being, most people will see it and not argue it.

In this case I really don't see how they can not refund you for your handset and if they are allowed take your handset back then I am sure o2 would have done the same and retained the customers that left them with a brand new iPhone in tow.

I would love to get out of this contract. I sold on my handset so giving it back is not an option. I hope we get some clearer picture on this soon as I don't want the 22nd to come and go then find out what they told everyone was wrong.

NothingMan wrote: »

In this case I really don't see how they can not refund you for your handset and if they are allowed take your handset back then I am sure o2 would have done the same and retained the customers that left them with a brand new iPhone in tow.

I agree. From my contract it's clear they can take back the phone, but there is no mention of reimbursement. It's a point to be argued all right.

Paragraph/section?

I read through mine in detail yesterday and there's nothing providing for the provider surrendering the contract, only a penalty for premature termination by the customer which is not the case here.

I don't have it with me. However, you yourself refer to something similar further back

"All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period."

Thats pretty clear to me.

I don't have it with me. However, you yourself refer to something similar further back

"All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period."

But surely if they breach the contract, all other terms becomes null & void?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Im on smart plan at the mo. Signed up 6 weeks ago but i dont have the free calls and texts to meteor (i missed out by a few weeks). If i call up meteor and ask them to put me on a new 12 month contract (basically the same as my old contract but with free meteor calls and texts) would i still have to return the phone?

Yes, but the Minimum Period is void ab initio by the change of the terms of the contract and no longer applies. Otherwise the Minimum Period would remain in effect with the other clauses of the contract and nobody would be entitled to exit it.

But surely if they breach the contract, all other terms becomes null & void?

They haven't breached the contract. Meteor have amended the contract and you or I have the right to cancel it with no penalty (or accept the amendment). The conditions pertaining to the early termination of the contract for whatever reason (i.e. giving back the phone) kick in on the cancellation date.

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im on smart plan at the mo. Signed up 6 weeks ago but i dont have the free calls and texts to meteor (i missed out by a few weeks). If i call up meteor and ask them to put me on a new 12 month contract (basically the same as my old contract but with free meteor calls and texts) would i still have to return the phone?
    They'd more than likely have no issue with something like that.

Yes, but the Minimum Period is void ab initio by the change of the terms of the contract and no longer applies. Otherwise the Minimum Period would remain in effect with the other clauses of the contract and nobody would be entitled to exit it.

The contract is cancelled and the Minimum Period can no longer be met. Therefore the phone goes back to Meteor as stated in the contract.

The contract is cancelled and the Minimum Period can no longer be met. Therefore the phone goes back to Meteor as stated in the contract.
    Then why did they allow people who called yesterday to end their contract without surrendering their phone? They must treat all their customers equally.

• Advertisement

Then why did they allow people who called yesterday to end their contract without surrendering their phone? They must treat all their customers equally.

Don't know ;)

I'd imagine though they didn't forsee a mass exodus for what is a positive change of conditions. Would be very expensive if they gave all the phones away as well i imagine.

They don't have to treat all their customers equally in all cases either.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Looks like Orange in the Uk tried to force people to return phones in the same http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-increase-charges-can-you-cancel-your-orange-contract/15723

Don't know ;)

I'd imagine though they didn't forsee a mass exodus for what is a positive change of conditions. Would be very expensive if they gave all the phones away as well i imagine.

They don't have to treat all their customers equally either.
    But they should :p

Very few want to exit the contract to leave Meteor. All I want is to move to Bill pay Lite so I can upgrade when/if a better phone than what I have now is released.

Just called up and they gave me free meteor calls and texts on top of my 200mins and 200txts and 1gb of data. Delighted!

Guys try bargain with them if you can. At the end of the day the phones you return to them arent worth much but your business is. Ask them for a free upgrade or something.

thomasjad wrote: »
    Looks like Orange in the Uk tried to force people to return phones in the same http://www.bitterwallet.com/orange-increase-charges-can-you-cancel-your-orange-contract/15723

It's a different contract though

"“14.1 your Device is not a part of your Contract – your Device and Accessories are acquired by you outside the terms of your Contract.”

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Just rang there to cancel my contract.

I was put through to the retention team and said I want to move from my 18 month Smart plan to the Smart Lite Plan. No arguments made and they said I will be moved over on my next bill (which is before the 22 August cut off).

No mention made of having to hand back phone. Maybe if people offer to stay on Meteor and don't just look to cancel the contract they will have better luck?

Grudle wrote: »

I was put through to the retention team and said I want to move from my 18 month Smart plan to the Smart Lite Plan. No arguments made and they said I will be moved over on my next bill (which is before the 22 August cut off).

No mention made of having to hand back phone. Maybe if people offer to stay on Meteor and don't just look to cancel the contract they will have better luck?

great.

How long are you into the contract as a matter of interest?

great.

Considering he's on a smart plan he must only be at most three months in as the smart plans were launched in April.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

great.

When did the Desire come out? 3-4 months I think.

• Advertisement

Grudle wrote: »

Crap. I should have done this instead of keeping my current contract.

Advertisement