Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

Covey wrote: »
    The contract is cancelled and the Minimum Period can no longer be met. Therefore the phone goes back to Meteor as stated in the contract.

Perhaps I'm blind or missing something here but I can't see that anywhere in the contract and the general T&Cs of the contract don't change regularly nor are they specific to individuals.

They are published on http://www.meteor.ie/support/terms_and_cond/ 3rd link down on the page.

There is nothing specified under termination or cancellation other than a break penalty (i.e. "Termination Charge"). There is nothing relating to the retention of the equipment by the provider in the event of the contractual Minimum Period being interrupted by them.

Minimum period extension is allowed for under such terms as Equipment upgrade, for which there is no provision to re-acquire the original equipment (i.e. your first phone) by the provider but yet by your rationale the first phone would still belong to them too given the extension of the original Minimum Period. I just don't see it being enforceable although I'm sure that Meteor wish that it was. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

It was you who quoted the line from your policy regarding Equipment retention originally :P

"All other Equipment (excluding the Meteor SIM Card) shall remain the property of Meteor until the expiry of the Minimum Period."

It's there on the website as well btw.

Mines at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

I just rang them then and said i'd prefer to stay with them but could they give me an upgrade. She asked me if i was aware i'd be entering into a new 12/18 month contract, which i was and am happy to do so.
    Upgrade was granted so i'll wait for the desire to come back in stock
    I last got an upgrade in april and am currently paying 25 a month with 200 texts and calls to any network and unlimited free calls and texts to meteor mobiles

I'm happy with that

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

It was you quoted the line from your policy regarding Equipment retention originally :P

Mines at home.

I know I did but it's linked to the Minimum Period not an indefinite retainer. Without one there cannot be the other and now the Minimum Period has been offered up (read forced up) for surrender because of a change to the T&Cs and that means the Equipment is free of any ties. Only if the Customer had cancelled the term of the contract would they be at the mercy of this clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Just rang up and they ended the contract with hardly any hassle :)

I'm back on Bill pay lite and my bill is €5 p/m cheaper! Not planning on leaving Meteor though as that's a bit bad of me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Grudle wrote: »
    Just rang there to cancel my contract.

I was put through to the retention team and said I want to move from my 18 month Smart plan to the Smart Lite Plan. No arguments made and they said I will be moved over on my next bill (which is before the 22 August cut off).

No mention made of having to hand back phone. Maybe if people offer to stay on Meteor and don't just look to cancel the contract they will have better luck?

But does that mean that in 30 days after your transferred you can cancel your contract as Smart Lite is only a 30 Day contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

NothingMan wrote: »
    But does that mean that in 30 days after your transferred you can cancel your contract as Smart Lite is only a 30 Day contract?

Presume so. Not looking to leave but nice to have the option should a better deal or a must have phone come along.

jbwan wrote: »
    I know I did but it's linked to the Minimum Period not an indefinite retainer. Without one there cannot be the other and now the Minimum Period has been offered up (read forced up) for surrender because of a change to the T&Cs and that means the Equipment is free of any ties. Only if the Customer had cancelled the term of the contract would they be at the mercy of this clause.

The Minimum Period is fixed in the contract. If the contract ends prior to that, for whatever reason, Meteor retain ownership of the phone. Simple as.

"Only if the Customer had cancelled the term of the contract would they be at the mercy of this clause"

That is not in the contract.

It seems that Meteor have finally seen sense and are moving customers to other plans rather than lose them, :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Grudle wrote: »
    Presume so. Not looking to leave but nice to have the option should a better deal or a must have phone come along.

That does sound good. I will try and get that too. I'm in no rush to leave and if Meteor ever got the iPhone 4 and didn't bunk up their price plans like o2 and vodafone i'd be tempted to upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭mjth2004

It worked…….rang & quoted:

Meteor wishes to notify its customers of Bill Pay price changes effective as of 22nd of August 2010. The current default rate for Mobile Internet Browsing of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB) will change to a daily pricing structure. Customers will be charged 2c per KB up to 49KB i.e. 98c. Usage will then be zero rated from 50KB to 50MB. After 50MB has been consumed, usage will be charged at out of bundle rates of 2c per KB (€20.48 per MB). This pricing applies to daily usage from midnight to midnight. Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

Be firm with them & just keep repeating that you want out of contract but want to stay a customer of theirs!

So out of contract & handset is mine.

Cheers to the OP for bringing this up!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Just rang up and they ended the contract with hardly any hassle :)

I'm back on Bill pay lite and my bill is €5 p/m cheaper! Not planning on leaving Meteor though as that's a bit bad of me.

I presume you mean smart lite?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

NothingMan wrote: »
    That does sound good. I will try and get that too. I'm in no rush to leave and if Meteor ever got the iPhone 4 and didn't bunk up their price plans like o2 and vodafone i'd be tempted to upgrade.

Thanks for the heads up.

Meteor Will not be getting the Iphone give up this dream people.

The mods have stated on the forum that meteor can not commit to apples T&C. What these are they will not say.

But Give up the dream if they wanted to have the iphone they would have it by now.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I presume you mean smart lite?
    Nope ;)

Just the regular lite package with an internet addon. I mostly text and use mobile internet on my Desire so it suits me better.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

haha

Chanced my arm at calling back (even though i just renegotiated for free meteor calls and texts). Said my friend was moved onto bill pay smart lite. They refused to put me on bill pay smart lite but did agree to put me on PAYG once my bill expires. Which is on the 27th of August.

I also get to keep the phone.

Again as I said once before, I love Meteor :D

This really benefits people who got their phone in the past month on a high-ish tariff.

How is everyone else getting through i tried earlier and just now and after 15 min on hold i just gave up.

People stop ringing so i can get in on the action:D:D:D

Im just thinking actually. Is it a bit dodgy that i have to wait till the 27th of August to be switched to PAYG. Seeing as the new tariff comes into force on the 22nd im afriad theyll turn around and say no sorry it doesnt apply to you.

I was told to email in my cancellation request to cancellations@meteor.ie
    How is everyone else getting through i tried earlier and just now and after 15 min on hold i just gave up.

People stop ringing so i can get in on the action:D:D:D

Are you calling 1800222085?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Im just thinking actually. Is it a bit dodgy that i have to wait till the 27th of August to be switched to PAYG. Seeing as the new tariff comes into force on the 22nd im afriad theyll turn around and say no sorry it doesnt apply to you.

I was told to email in my cancellation request to cancellations@meteor.ie

Are you calling 1800222085?

No I'm calling 1905

No I'm calling 1905

Call the 1800 number. You get straight through

• Advertisement

Starting on 27th august shouldn't create any difficulties.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Just Cancelled mine had 6 Months left, Didn't ask for my Hero back either.

Moving to my new tariff on the 10th August. Happy days.

Starting on 27th august shouldn't create any difficulties.

Just seems a bit weird.
    All the people who have cancelled. Has yer service been stopped as of now or do ye have to wait till your bill expires?

Hogzy wrote: »
    Just seems a bit weird.
    All the people who have cancelled. Has yer service been stopped as of now or do ye have to wait till your bill expires?

Your bill is paid in advance so it makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just Cancelled mine had 6 Months left, Didn't ask for my Hero back either.
    Did you cancel altogether or move to another plan or PAYG?

Just off the phone,

Not actually wanting to move from meteor as im happy, i asked to be put to bill pay lite. I was refused and told it was PAYG or nothing. I asked out straight could i keep my phone if i moved to PAYG and she said yes i could. But i like bill pay.

I asked well is there any chance i could get a early upgrade for when another phone i like comes out.

YES I CAN

One month into a 18 month contract with the HTC Desire and i have a upgrade when ever i want.

Result

• Registered Users Posts: 3,207 ✭✭✭Keith186

Just off the phone,

Not actually wanting to move from meteor as im happy, i asked to be put to bill pay lite. I was refused and told it was PAYG or nothing. I asked out straight could i keep my phone if i moved to PAYG and she said yes i could. But i like bill pay.

I asked well is there any chance i could get a early upgrade for when another phone i like comes out.

YES I CAN

One month into a 18 month contract with the HTC Desire and i have a upgrade when ever i want.

Result
    I rang there and asked to move to PAYG because the t&cs changed.
    Was asked if I wanted to go to another bill plan and I said not at the moment. Just moved me over straight away with no hassle and told me my final bill is on 5th September.

Seems a bit fishy compared to the hassle I had the last time I called. Wonder if their up to anything?!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭PowerHouseDan

Keith186 wrote: »
    Did you cancel altogether or move to another plan or PAYG?

I Moved back to Meteor Pre Pay till i decide what i'm going to do, Said it would take 30min Still waiting a hour later however..

• Advertisement

Keith186 wrote: »

Seems a bit fishy compared to the hassle I had the last time I called. Wonder if their up to anything?!

You should get it in writing.

Advertisement