Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

I know but say next June I take out a bill pay contract and then in july the EU change the roaming rates will this fall into the same category?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Luckily for you... Yes to both questions :)

That's mad, just got a HTC Desire for €130 :D

Anyone know their cancellation number?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

I spoke to an Alan in cancellations who got very rude when I wouldn't sign up to a new deal there and then on the phone with him. I kept telling him i wanted time to think things through and look at my options. :D

I also spoke to Alan and he was very rude. I was still extra nice because I was getting such a sweet deal. I asked to be switched to a new deal, smart lite and was told PAYG or nothing. Glad I did now, I can think about what I wanna do.
    Pacifico wrote: »
    That's mad, just got a HTC Desire for €130 :D

Anyone know their cancellation number?

Me too :D, now you can get another one if ya want. 1800 222085 is the number for cancellations btw.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Did you ask them about having to give the phone back? Seems a but too good to be true!!!

Pacifico wrote: »
    Did you ask them about having to give the phone back? Seems a but too good to be true!!!

No I didn't ask, not gonna tempt faith. I don't have it and I'm already on PAYG so there's not much they can do really. They obviously were corrected on the illegality of demanding the phone back, their answer changed very abruptly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

sorry if this is a stupid question but can i call the 1800 direct line to billing from abroad? I'm assuming not, so what number would I use? Or has anyone dealt with the whole process through email?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

abelard wrote: »
    sorry if this is a stupid question but can i call the 1800 direct line to billing from abroad? I'm assuming not, so what number would I use? Or has anyone dealt with the whole process through email?
    Phone

Bill Pay:

1905 (free call)
    +353 1 430 7085 (from abroad)

Pay As You Go:

From your Meteor Pay As You Go phone : 1747 (15c per call)
    From any other phone: 1890 808 585 (operator charges apply)
    From abroad: +353 1 430 7066

• Registered Users Posts: 1,837 ✭✭✭abelard

Phone

Bill Pay:

1905 (free call)
    +353 1 430 7085 (from abroad)

Thanks for that. One thing though - is that the customer service number or the cancellations? From reading what others have said I'd rather not have to deal with the customer services crap and just get straight through to the cancellations people. But if that's not possible from abroad, so be it I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Hi,
    This thread is certainly moving fast, hard to keep track!

Can somebody tell me why anyone would go for:

Bill Pay Lite (200min/200 text) for 30eur per month

when they can get:

Bill Pay Smart (200min/200txt/1GB data Plus get free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts.) also for 30eur per month?

Is it possible to get out of contract and go to Bill Pay Smart like this? I read Partyatmygaff managed it? How? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

Rang this morning and was told to email in with my request and they would put me on PAYG.

The guy in cancellations was initially saying that I had to give back the handset but when I explained that I was planning on going straight to billpay smart light he said they would allow me to keep it.

Just waiting on the mail to be responded to. I tried calling back a few times to see if I could get a different guy but got the same fella 3 times. Why couldn't the process been as simple as it seems most of you had it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

cormie wrote: »
    Hi,
    This thread is certainly moving fast, hard to keep track!

Can somebody tell me why anyone would go for:

Bill Pay Lite (200min/200 text) for 30eur per month

when they can get:

Bill Pay Smart (200min/200txt/1GB data Plus get free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts.) also for 30eur per month?

Is it possible to get out of contract and go to Bill Pay Smart like this? I read Partyatmygaff managed it? How? :D

Because it appears Meteor won't give you the option of Bill Pay Smart.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

just got through to the retention centre. explained my bit and she went away and and came back and said i'd have to send in a letter of cancellation before 22nd August. Was told that due to having upgraded in last couple of months they wouldn't offer to give me a free upgrade or meteor to meteor calls / texts as a sweetener. I said grand. Only did it on the chance id get aone of these to stay on bill. Anyway i think ill stick on my billpay surf plan tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rang up there. Girl on the phone was very polite and didn't put up a fight at all. Fired them off an email to confirm the cancellation and I should be back on PAYG sometime today (haven't been on PAYG in about 6 years).

Going to go back to bill pay lite €10/month and get the 250mb internet add on. Didn't think 250mb would be enough originally but I hadn't gone over it in the couple of months I've had the desire. Never used up all my minutes/texts on the €10/month plan when I was on it either. Saved myself €20/month and am free to go to any network I wish or get a new subsidised phone. Cheers EU!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 SallyCooper

Im still bafled here, im just about to pick up the phone to call. Im going to ask to return to PAYG, but will they ask for my handset back or do I need to change to another bill pay package to keep it?

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

I'm out of contract, entitled to an upgrade and I'm currently on Bill pay connect which is 25 euro per month for 200 free texts and 200 minutes.
    I look the look of the Bill pay Smart tariff - 30 euro per month for 200 texts, 200 minutes and 1Gb broadband with free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts.
    My phone is in terrible nick, screen broken etc and I do need a new one.

Based on my reading of the above posts, if I upgrade now to a Smart phone of some sort, at some stage over the next few weeks can I decide that I'm not happy with the changes that are being made by Meteor on the 22nd of August and cancel my contract?
    Or do contracts now being issued contain the new terms and conditions? Anyone bought a phone in the last few days?

I do want to stay with Meteor as most family and friends are with them so if I do get the upgrade, I'd change to Vodafone for a day or two before going back into Meteor to sign up for their Bill-Pay Smart tariff. It seems a bit ridiculous not to let current customers swap to this tariff anyway. My bill would be increasing by 5 euro a month making more money for Meteor so why not let people switch??

Does anyone know what the 30 day before new contract thingy is again?

If I cancel my current contract, can that number not be signed up to a new contract for another 30 days? What if I immediately port it to another network, and then port it back the next day to sign up to a new contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Simple enough this time.

Rang the 1800 number, asked to be moved back to PAYG, she asked if there's anything they could do to make me stay, I said no, and she said I just had to send my request in writing to cancellations@meteor.ie and id be moved back today as soon as they get the email.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Based on my reading of the above posts, if I upgrade now to a Smart phone of some sort, at some stage over the next few weeks can I decide that I'm not happy with the changes that are being made by Meteor on the 22nd of August and cancel my contract?
    Or do contracts now being issued contain the new terms and conditions? Anyone bought a phone in the last few days?
    Seriously? What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Dacelonid

Wisesmurf wrote: »
    Rang this morning and was told to email in with my request and they would put me on PAYG.
    davehey79 wrote: »
    i'd have to send in a letter of cancellation before 22nd August.
    plazzTT wrote: »
    Simple enough this time.
    I just had to send my request in writing to cancellations@meteor.ie and id be moved back today as soon as they get the email.

Things have certainly changed from yesterday, the guy I spoke to in Customer Retention (Richard I think his name was) couldn't be nicer and had it all sorted for me in a few minutes. No mention of having to put anything in writing or emails or anything like that. I wonder are some of them being a litle bit awkward just to see if they can disuade someone from leaving and so get a bonus, as I assume customer retention guys would get bonuses for keeping customers.

Strange to see a lot of people being asked for the request in writing. I just spoke to a guy who asked my number, name, address and DOB and 15 mins later I was on PAYG with no credit. Never asked to write anything, my handset was never mentioned. As far as I'm concerned I am free of contract with the handset and can do whatever I like.

Need to get back on a bill soon, this credit malarky makes me feel 15 again.

• Advertisement

Can you go straight back onto bill pay lite? None of this 30 day waiting period stuff?

Ok, after a bit of research, it seems like it may be better just to leave things as they are for me.

Currently: €25 per month (200 min/200 texts) + €15 add on (10gb data)

If I leave contract my options are:

Bill lite: €10 a month (50min/50 texts) + €15 add on (10gb data)
    currently 140 mins used so far this month (90 on top of 50@30c per minute out of bundle on bill lite plan = an extra €27!) = €52 total (€12 extra) for same usage

Bill Smart Lite: €30 a month (200min/200texts/1gb data) + €15 add on (10gb data - required as 1gb not enough) = €45 total (€5 extra) for same usage.

So it seems, if I plan to stay on Meteor, it's actually better just to leave things as they are? So why would I cancel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

So why would I cancel?

It only makes sense for those who's usage is way below that contained in their plan.

Ok, after a bit of research, it seems like it may be better just to leave things as they are for me.

Currently: €25 per month (200 min/200 texts) + €15 add on (10gb data)

If I leave contract my options are:

Bill lite: €10 a month (50min/50 texts) + €15 add on (10gb data)
    currently 140 mins used so far this month (90 on top of 50@30c per minute out of bundle on bill lite plan = an extra €27!) = €52 total (€12 extra) for same usage

Bill Smart Lite: €30 a month (200min/200texts/1gb data) + €15 add on (10gb data - required as 1gb not enough) = €45 total (€5 extra) for same usage.

So it seems, if I plan to stay on Meteor, it's actually better just to leave things as they are? So why would I cancel?

You could always sign up to the same plan you're on now on a 12 month contract, get a subsidised phone and then sell it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 MightyMurvin

NothingMan wrote: »
    I also spoke to Alan and he was very rude. I was still extra nice because I was getting such a sweet deal. I asked to be switched to a new deal, smart lite and was told PAYG or nothing. Glad I did now, I can think about what I wanna do.

My Calendar told me today that "Rudeness is a weak man's imitation of strength" :D

On a more positive note I spoke with credit control and he was very polite. He said he'd transfer the deposit to my meteor account, but I said I'd prefer it transferred back to my bank account as i don't want €100 Credit on top of my current €20 credit and i'd prefer a refund. He checked if he had bank details for me and he confirmed the branch and said the transfer would take 8-10 working days. I said thanks and good bye.

I'll leave ye know the outcome, when it happens.

You could always sign up to the same plan you're on now on a 12 month contract, get a subsidised phone and then sell it.

They don't offer the same plan anymore unfortunately, I was one of the lucky ones who got the plan I'm on.

If I was to do that, I'd have to wait 30 days on PAYG, sign up to new contract with same number, pay the monthly fee, 30 on 18 month contract or 35 on 12 month contract, so using 30 for example, I think the desire on this is 179:

179 phone - 30 per month (200min/200text/1gb) + €15 (10gb add on) = 45 per month.

18 months @ 5eur extra = 90 plus 179 for phone = 269. Expected sale value on phone = 400eur = 130 extra over the course of 18 months. However, if for some reason I wanted to end contract before 18 months, then if I wanted to end it any time before 14 month (130 extra divided by 30 per month) I'd be losing out. Also, if the contract was kept in indefinitely, that 130 extra would be used up with the €5 extra being paid per month after 26 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I'm in the same boat as cormie, better off to stay put.

I'm actually shocked by the amount of people who want out of their contract after such a short time, just to get a free phone... why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with the conditions?

Just noticed there that meteor took a €20 direct debit from my account today.

Can't possibly be my bill can it. My billing date is the 19th and I paid my last bill which was for the 19th of july to the 19th of Aug and didn't go over my minutes or texts.

Any Ideas.

Also, just to note, on the 12 month contract:

for 35/month for 12 months, that's 420, I pay maybe 180 for the Desire, so that's 600 total, but sell it for around 350 so that's 250, for a year long contract = 20 euro a month for the same package I'd be paying 25 a month for now. Not really worth the hassle to save a fiver a month

and there's the added risk of wasting value if I get out of the contract early

• Advertisement

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as cormie, better off to stay put.

I'm actually shocked by the amount of people who want out of their contract after such a short time, just to get a free phone... why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with the conditions?

I would have been happy to stay but I plan on doing a bit of travelling in a month or 2 which I hadn't anticipated when I signed up in Feb. Could be gone 2 months, 6 months or a year.

Advertisement