Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as cormie, better off to stay put.

I'm actually shocked by the amount of people who want out of their contract after such a short time, just to get a free phone... why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with the conditions?

I was happy, but if I have an option to cancel my contract without penalty then why shouldn't i?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I'm in the same boat as cormie, better off to stay put.

I'm actually shocked by the amount of people who want out of their contract after such a short time, just to get a free phone... why did you sign the contract if you weren't happy with the conditions?

For me, I get a tariff which now has free calls and texts for €5 pm less, plus I can leave/switch at any time, should I choose to. No-brainer.

Phone was far from free.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I was happy, but if I have an option to cancel my contract without penalty then why shouldn't i?

Will you not be paying more on whatever new choice you go for like I would be?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

I'm free:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,130 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

cormie wrote: »
    Will you not be paying more on whatever new choice you go for like I would be?

I think you're in the minority. The majority of people don't need more than 1gb per month.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,009 ✭✭✭Wisesmurf

The benefits for me as I see them:

Move to billpay smart lite
    No fixed contract so can sign up when I see a new phone I want
    €60 cheaper a year
    Free Meteor calls and texts

If anything, the way this has been handled has made me more loyal to Meteor. I'll probably stick with this phone (Desire) for the next 12 months or so, so they'll get my business regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

I'd say someone at meteor has been reading this thread, the change in attitude seems to coincide with yesterdays debate in this thread on the legalities of the situation.
    they must have figured customer retention > legal battles.

Yeah, you're probably right there! Will weigh up the options anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Andrew Cage

NothingMan wrote: »
    I also spoke to Alan and he was very rude. I was still extra nice because I was getting such a sweet deal. I asked to be switched to a new deal, smart lite and was told PAYG or nothing. Glad I did now, I can think about what I wanna do.

Me too :D, now you can get another one if ya want. 1800 222085 is the number for cancellations btw.

Alan from Meteor Cancellations excellent help convinced me to renew my contract with Meteor for another 18 Months, he was very helpful and even delivered the phone personally and before leaving painted my shed, cleared out my gutter and saved my cat Whiskers from a tree.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves for these comments!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I noticed this in section 12 of the Meteor t&c:
    You do not own the mobile phone number allocated to you. We can change the Number at our discretion and will not be liable for any loss or damage, direct or indirect, which might arise from such change.

Seeing as you can port your number to another network, I cannot understand this....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Just rang there and was told i'd have to return the phone?!

Anyone get this? Or have an answer for this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Pacifico wrote: »

How long have you been with meteor and how old is the contract? And do you want to move to Bill Pay lite or PAYG?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Pacifico wrote: »

Jesus read the thread will ya!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Signed up on the 19th. Was an upgrade....

Said I was willing to move to Bill Pay Lite but was told that I had to go to PAYG and return the phone!

• Registered Users Posts: 40 sierraecho

Rang the 1800 number and they told me that as long as I was staying on meteor that I could keep the phone. Happy days :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Seriously? You don't understand why people would leave a contract when they can do so without penalty?

Nobody is unhappy with the change in terms because the change Meteor made was an improvement.

Can you not see why somebody would rather not be tied to a long term contract when they can avail of 30 day contracts?

And people aren't opting out of their contracts "just to get a free phone". Its more about being free from a long term contract.

They never mentioned anything to me about returning the phone when I called this morning. If they do I'll be demanding the money I paid for the phone back and will be changing networks. I don't see how they'll do anything but lose customers by demanding for people to return their phones.

They never mentioned anything to me about returning the phone when I called this morning. If they do I'll be demanding the money I paid for the phone back and will be changing networks. I don't see how they'll do anything but lose customers by demanding for people to return their phones.

Exactly. Nearly all the people on this thread are switching to bill pay lite (myself included) so meteor are still realling in the dosh. Just 5 quid per month less in my case :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

would it be a bit over suspicious to think that the next batch of must have phones wont have great prices attached for those who cancelled?

would it be a bit over suspicious to think that the next batch of must have phones wont have great prices attached for those who cancelled?

Nah they wouldnt do that. At the end of the day they dont want to put you off signing up to a 12/18 month contract by making a phone a bit more expensive. If they do ill F off elsewhere.

• Advertisement

Ended up giving the go ahead to keep me in contract for the remaining 8 months anyway. Got free evening and weekend any network calls as an incentive to stay too ;) Definitely the best option for me.

Has anyone how emailed in their request been switched yet? Still waiting for mine to go through.

Has anyone how emailed in their request been switched yet? Still waiting for mine to go through.

Emailed this morning, haven't heard anything yet.

I emailed yesterday but didnt get any reply. Called up and asked to be switched straight to PAYG... Done

Just called into meteor store and signed up for smart lite...Done

People should remember there is always a big possibitlity of you being asked for security deposit when signing back up, these deosits can be up to €300.00 is it really worth the risk because if so your stuck on Payg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

sierraecho wrote: »
    Rang the 1800 number and they told me that as long as I was staying on meteor that I could keep the phone. Happy days :)

I told them I hadn't any intention of leaving but that he couldn't sign me up to smart lite. He never mentioned the phone but I assume if I did decide to jump ship they wouldn't/couldn't come chasing me for it.

I assume because I am now PAYG they have no way of holding my number?

People should remember there is always a big possibitlity of you being asked for security deposit when signing back up, these deosits can be up to €300.00 is it really worth the risk because if so your stuck on Payg

You work for Meteor, right?

Stuck how? There are other networks. ;)

Nope Happened to me with O2 when they changed there roaming agreements, I didnt wanna move to another network but had no choice , Having said that I find Meteor alot better and definately would not like to have to Sign up back on O2 or Vodafone

Nope Happened to me with O2 when they changed there roaming agreements, I didnt wanna move to another network but had no choice , Having said that I find Meteor alot better and definately would not like to have to Sign up back on O2 or Vodafone

Just checking. :D

It makes no sense for Meteor to make it difficult for anyone that has cancelled their contract to continue to give them money every month. I haven't read of anyone actually using this EU directive to switch networks.

• Advertisement

To be honest O2 didnt make it difficult , the Girl wasnt to interested in trying to save me at all she just changed me onto pre pay,

Sure If i worked for Meteor Id prob use to thread to advertise new products such as Broadband, Mobile Accessories and Price plans.

Which of course can be found at www.meteor.ie :):):):):)

Advertisement