Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

ooter wrote: »
    I'm only 2 and a half months in to a 12 month contract with meteor,what would be my chances of getting an upgrade?
    To be honest,I'm happy with the service I get but I wouldn't mind getting 1 of them experia phones.
    I was going to ring them and say the screen on my phone is cracked and as much as I'd like to stay as a meteor customer I can now get out of my contract because they have changed the t+c's.no point seeing out the remainder of my contract with a phone with a cracked screen if I can get out of it.
    Worth a shot?

If they won't just give you the free upgrade then cancel your contract, switch to PAYG and walk into a shop tomorrow and get the phone and contract you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Bluefoam wrote: »
    The knowledge you possess of the mobile industry is overwhelming.

Their current customer is a low earning, low spending, disloyal (reflected in this thread) with little future career hopes in the short term (reflected in the current economy...

TBH, if I was in Meteors position, I'd target more suitable clientèle - people with a mental capacity greater than that of a three year old, people with earning power, people who want to partake in meteors offer, but who are put off by being associated with their current customers. How would they do this? Maybe by setting up and running a parallel brand within the same infrastructure...

Please apply a sarcastic tone to my above statement - but what I'm talking about is what they are actually doing.

Its not that they won't take your money - they will - its just that they don't value you as much as you value yourself...

lmao i wouldnt have canceled it if they just gave me the free calls and texts on my plan...not really fair other new customers getting it where i signed up 2 weeks before it went out and cant get it...screw that!!

anyway i doubt any one is leaving meteor every one signing up to bill pay lite or going back to PAYG

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

ooter wrote: »
    I'm only 2 and a half months in to a 12 month contract with meteor,what would be my chances of getting an upgrade?
    To be honest,I'm happy with the service I get but I wouldn't mind getting 1 of them experia phones.
    I was going to ring them and say the screen on my phone is cracked and as much as I'd like to stay as a meteor customer I can now get out of my contract because they have changed the t+c's.no point seeing out the remainder of my contract with a phone with a cracked screen if I can get out of it.
    Worth a shot?

Give them a ring and explain about the phone being damaged and would they consider an upgrade, don't mention the T+C's at this stage until the unlikely event that they refuse.
    I'm only 3 months into my contract and i got an upgrade, just waiting for the new desire to come in now

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭userod

Hi Guys, I rang Meteor yesterday. Told them I would like to would like to cancel my subscription. They put me through to cancellations. She said "Hi, I see you have 10 months remaining on your contract is there any particular reason you would like to cancel it?", I said I'd like to cancel under Section 17 of the EC Regulations 2003 or something like that, she said "Oh ok, 2 seconds I must just speak to my supervisor as there may be a requirement to hand back the phone". She came back on about 30 seconds later and told me to turn off and on my phone and I would be on pay as you go and no requirement to hand back phone. Still on bill pay though from what I can tell - 28 hours later....

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭t.henno66

userod wrote: »
    Hi Guys, I rang Meteor yesterday. Told them I would like to would like to cancel my subscription. They put me through to cancellations. She said "Hi, I see you have 10 months remaining on your contract is there any particular reason you would like to cancel it?", I said I'd like to cancel under Section 17 of the EC Regulations 2003 or something like that, she said "Oh ok, 2 seconds I must just speak to my supervisor as there may be a requirement to hand back the phone". She came back on about 30 seconds later and told me to turn off and on my phone and I would be on pay as you go and no requirement to hand back phone. Still on bill pay though from what I can tell - 28 hours later....

Try turning it off and back on again

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

turn off your fone and reboot it

• Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭puddles22

only signed up to meteor couple of weeks ago after getting out of o2 contract. phoned meteor cancellations direct, they told me to send an email re. my cancellation as i did at 10.30 am today , phoned back at 5 to see if they got my email they had and then she automatically changed me to payg, no mention of handset
    going into store 2moro to sign up to smart lite all sorted :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

weirdly i never restarted my phone or turned it off :) it just switched auto :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭SteM

anyway i doubt any one is leaving meteor every one signing up to bill pay lite or going back to PAYG

That's what i was thinking bit I'm liking the look of the new 3 price plans. 2gb of data too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

can i use this to change from bill pay surf to bill pay smart?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

I'm only with Meteor less then a month so not arsed changing but were can I read the new T&C's? or a summary

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

Don't have time to read through all 31 pages of the thread, so apologies if this has been asked.

Can I go in today, sign up for a contract, and then cancel before August 22nd?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Soarer wrote: »
    Don't have time to read through all 31 pages of the thread, so apologies if this has been asked.

Can I go in today, sign up for a contract, and then cancel before August 22nd?

No. New contract has the new terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,893 ✭✭✭Soarer

jordainius wrote: »
    No. New contract has the new terms.

Thanks dude.

Another quick question. Are Meteor the last to adjust their contracts?
    I'm thinking it'd be nice to get an iPhone4 on one of the other carriers before they change their contracts.;)

just called there, refused to cancel my contract without returning the phone, advised i would have to bring it into the store, as i am within 30 days of signing up :(

can anyone confirm if this is correct?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

Hey,

I went into a Meteor shop yesterday and enquired about the new plan. Got the same story I'm sure many of you have got. He played dumb for a minute, I mentioned the EU 17 thing and he gave in. Sound guy, told me I could just cancel the contract, walk down to O2 join their PAYG, walk back to Meteor and sign up for the contract again with the new changes. I'll do that tomorrow.

I've a question though. My gf is on Bill Pay Connect. AFAIK that plan hasn't changed has it? Would she be able to get out of her contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

subway wrote: »
    just called there, refused to cancel my contract without returning the phone, advised i would have to bring it into the store, as i am within 30 days of signing up :(

I think that's fair TBH.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Did they specifically say it was because you were within 30 days of signing up?

You could wait 2 weeks, would you be outside the 30 days then

JustinOval wrote: »
    I think that's fair TBH.

It's only fair enough if they refund the cost of the phone

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Did they specifically say it was because you were within 30 days of signing up?

You could wait 2 weeks, would you be outside the 30 days then
    yes specifically said 30 days, but my contract was with CPW and says 28 days.
    i will wait until the 17th of August and cancel then as you suggest.

cant see any indication that the people who had the issue earlier were able to get around it and cancel without returning the phone

• Advertisement

yes specifically said 30 days, but my contract was with CPW and says 28 days.
    i will wait until the 17th of August and cancel then as you suggest.

cant see any indication that the people who had the issue earlier were able to get around it and cancel without returning the phone

Don't get you there , your contract with CPW says what exactly regarding 28 days?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Don't get you there , your contract with CPW says what exactly regarding 28 days?
    sorry, just 28 days in relation to returning the phone for a replacement, its completely unrelated. there are no other terms and conditions.
    its literally 4 paragraphs long

sorry, just 28 days in relation to returning the phone for a replacement, its completely unrelated. there are no other terms and conditions.
    its literally 4 paragraphs long

I wonder if you tell them you will cancel after the 30day period if that's the case, but if they let you do it now, you would be willing to sign a new contract with Meteor, and stick with them? May work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭CompFix

Cheers to the OP, 2 months in to an 18 month contract after getting the HTC Desire. Now just switched to the smart lite 50. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,564 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

:mad:
    Rang c. 9.30 to get changed from contract to PAYG. Was told it would go through straight away (also emailed them). No change yet. Wouldn't mind but CPW won't let me sign up for my spanking new iPhone until the change goes thorugh....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

so i can just ring up an cancel im about 10 months into a 12 month contract ?

Edit rang up cancelled and will switch over to bill pay lite on 10 of august :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

so i can just ring up an cancel im about 10 months into a 12 month contract ?

Edit rang up cancelled and will switch over to bill pay lite on 10 of august :)

Did they sign you back up there and then over the phone or did you have to go to a store with ID etc ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Just rang there, only took about 2 minutes, switched from connect20 to bpl10! Happy days :D Very different response to what I got two days ago!

Edit1:Just needed to confirm name, address and D.O.B. Comes into effect from next billing date.

Edit2: So all of us moving over to a bpl plan, are we back on a 30 day contract or are we still in the 12/18 month contract but with the bpl price tag and mins etc? Never thought to ask on the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

long_b wrote: »
    Did they sign you back up there and then over the phone or did you have to go to a store with ID etc ?

Did it over the phone spoke to ruth 1800*22*20*85 very helpful she was

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Did it over the phone spoke to ruth 1800*22*20*85 very helpful she was

Sweet, just did it there.
    Can't believe OP had only a handful of "Thanks" for this.

Advertisement