Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Did it over the phone spoke to ruth 1800*22*20*85 very helpful she was

:D durrty

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

squared wrote: »
    Just rang there, only took about 2 minutes, switched from connect20 to bpl10! Happy days :D Very different response to what I got two days ago!

Edit1:Just needed to confirm name, address and D.O.B. Comes into effect from next billing date.

Edit2: So all of us moving over to a bpl plan, are we back on a 30 day contract or are we still in the 12/18 month contract but with the bpl price tag and mins etc? Never thought to ask on the phone.
    I did the same thing as you and she specifically said I'm out of contract.

Only problem now is it looks like we're not getting the free Meteor texts...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,131 ✭✭✭subway

cojomo2 wrote: »
    I wonder if you tell them you will cancel after the 30day period if that's the case, but if they let you do it now, you would be willing to sign a new contract with Meteor, and stick with them? May work.
    emailed them to say i will just cancel after 30 days,
    told me i was confused and it was actually 14 days.
    either way, they said now that i have been informed that i have to return the handset if i wish to cancel, it doesnt matter when i do it, they still want the handset,

ah well :(

good advice for anyone just into a contract anyway, wait 14 days before calling

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I have to say that IMHO Meteor are doing this very well (in the end).

And it looks like an awful amount of people are staying with the network, that's got to be telling them they're doing something right :)

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

This all sounds like a case for Lionel Hutz.."a contract is binding.."..if I were meteor I'd put the conditions back to what they originally were so everyone had to stay with them for the duration of their contract..I have my 18 month contract and HTC Desire for the last 6 weeks or so...I'm very tempted to ring up and see what I can get out of them..they shafted me a few years ago when I wanted out of my contract early..there was no talking them around or them being nice about it..having said that, I'm happy enough with the phone and happy with the contract I'm on..I wonder what way I should play it..I just don't want to end up in a worse position! Suggestions? A free upgrade?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

Philip42 wrote: »
    I have my 18 month contract and HTC Desire for the last 6 weeks or so...I'm very tempted to ring up and see what I can get out of them

If I were you, i'd ring up and cancel, switch to PAYG(keeping HTC Desire).
    Walk in to store couple of days later, get new billpaycontract, new phone.
    Keep both phones!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭saeglopur

quick question. ive just arrived back from the states where i lost my hero. after reading this thread not sure whether i should report my phone as lost and incur charges for a new handset, cancel my contract or try and see if i can get an upgrade. had my phone pretty well secure and have checked that it hasn't been used since so not overly concerned about getting it locked. (im 6 months into an 18 month contract btw)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,919 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Not strictly true, a few people here were offered an upgrade as a sweetener if they didn't cancel their contract.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I got offered a upgrade yesterday and I am only 3 months into a 18 month contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭ooter

smartblaa wrote: »
    If I were you, i'd ring up and cancel, switch to PAYG(keeping HTC Desire).
    Walk in to store couple of days later, get new billpaycontract, new phone.
    Keep both phones!

This is what I'm thinking of doing,can Ye definitely do that?
    Could the person in the meteor store not deny me a new contract when they see that I cancelled the old one a couple of days previous?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

What does it mean to get an upgrade?
    -you get a new phone for free?
    -or you get the opportunity to get a new phone subsidized depending on which plan you're on? So a new Desire for €170 if you're on smart 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭smartblaa

ooter wrote: »
    This is what I'm thinking of doing,can Ye definitely do that?
    Could the person in the meteor store not deny me a new contract when they see that I cancelled the old one a couple of days previous?

Store workers get commission on a new contract.
    I'm sure as long as you pass their credit check they'll be happy to do it.

Maybe go to a different store than the original one though! ;)

Very interested to know this also.

My dad is 6 months into an 18 month contract, he doesn't care about an upgrade so he said I can have it if iborganise it, but only if he will still be able to upgrade at the end of his current 18 month contract in 12 months time..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Any upgrade will be subject to a new 18 month contract. Meteor are not that stupid.

Haddockman wrote: »
    Any upgrade will be subject to a new 18 month contract. Meteor are not that stupid.

Is that an assumption or do you know for sure?

Sure, if you are 6 months into an 18 month contract, and you ask for an upgrade but they say you will have to sign a new 18 months contract, you could just refuse, opt out, and sign up a new 12 month contract, and get a new phone...which would be pretty much the same as getting the upgrade without have to re-sign the 18 month contract.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

My dad just did it. He was in a 18 month contract and he took an upgrade subject to a new 18 month contract.

Just rang my local store there and the guy told me that id have to buy a crappy phone PAYG and wait out my contract as i wasnt entitled to an upgrade. Told him about this thread and how id prob be better off canceling my contract in that case and he proceeded to tell me that I and this thread where wrong :D:D and that only o2 customers have ever had the option to get out of their contract early. Needless to say i said my goodbyes and rang customer care instead who were a lot more helpful. Only prob now is that cancelations dept are gone home for the weekend so have to wait till monday to sort things out.

ha yeah realise that now. just glad i found this thread as otherwise id have prob just headed straight to the store this morning to get a new phone sorted as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 769 ✭✭✭dan185

Got given an early upgrade this morning (downgrade really, from 55 tariff to 35) from the 10th of August on a new 12 month contract. Getting a handset during the week.

The girl on the phone was really helpful, explained how I could cancel and go to payg, and sign up again after 30 days, but she could do the upgrade if I wanted it.

Really great service from Meteor on this, they've kept me as a customer and many more I guess. Never been too impressed with their 1905 number but anytime I've called some of the other sectors such as credit control I've always had fantastic service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,035 ✭✭✭BArra

i cancelled my meteor contract on thursday, do i have to wait 30 days before i go into a meteor store and sign up to a meteor 30 day contract?

BArra wrote: »
    i cancelled my meteor contract on thursday, do i have to wait 30 days before i go into a meteor store and sign up to a meteor 30 day contract?

Nope.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

Im confused now....

I rang up a few days ago saying that I wanted to cancel my contract (8 months into a 12 month contract). They insisted that I could cancel my contract no problem but that I would have to return the handset.

Now Im reading about people who are keeping their handsets, being offered upgrades or simply cancelling and resigning up. Did all these people have top return their handsets?

Should I ring again and see what they say now? I want to get out of this contract and preferably move to PAYG.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Did you just say you wanted to cancel or switch to a different tarriff?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Irishdudedave

I told them I wanted to cancel the contract and move to PAYG. The girl came across angry and simply insisted that to cancel the contract I would have to return the phone along with a written letter of cancellation to a meteor store.

Advertisement