Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Hmmmm this is all very interesting.

I was offered a free Hero several months ago if I moved to a completed 12 month plan from VF to a new Meteor one. So I did as it was cheaper, and a free phone.

I want to move back to VF though as they have newer plans and I don't like Meteor's data coverage speed outside of the larger cities.

If I go through the cancellation procedure am I likely to be asked for money back for the phone or a termination fee?

It is a long thread....

edit: also what is the 1800 number, all I know is the 1905 who are crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

The number is 1800222085 for cancelations

You won't be asked to return your phone or pay any penalty. They will ask you why you are leaving. You can tell them, that you are not happy with the out of bundle data rate changes and you wish to terminate your contract penalty free in accordance with EU regulation 17. That should do the trick. They will then try to put you onto a Bill Pay Lite plan or PAYG (your choice). I went for PAYG as it means I'll be free to join whatever contract and provider I want ASAP. With Bill Pay Lite, you have to wait 30 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Bacchus wrote: »
    The number is 1800222085 for cancelations

You won't be asked to return your phone or pay any penalty. They will ask you why you are leaving. You can tell them, that you are not happy with the out of bundle data rate changes and you wish to terminate your contract penalty free in accordance with EU regulation 17. That should do the trick. They will then try to put you onto a Bill Pay Lite plan or PAYG (your choice). I went for PAYG as it means I'll be free to join whatever contract and provider I want ASAP. With Bill Pay Lite, you have to wait 30 days.

Thanks very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭root69

Oh no, I don't have to give the phone back at all. Thought I said that.

sorry I dont think I was clear. I didnt understand if in the end they will give you back the deposit that you payed initialy the 180 euro security deposit

root69 wrote: »
    sorry I dont think I was clear. I didnt understand if in the end they will give you back the deposit that you payed initialy the 180 euro security deposit

The €180 was what I paid for the HTC Desire when I signed up, not a security deposit. I won't get that back, nor would I expect to.

• Advertisement

The €180 was what I paid for the HTC Desire when I signed up, not a security deposit. I won't get that back, nor would I expect to.

I paid 300 euro deposit and I ask CC and they told me it will be given to me on my bank account or on my 6 month. Now wanted to confirm this info with someone else.

root69 wrote: »
    I paid 300 euro deposit and I ask CC and they told me it will be given to me on my bank account or on my 6 month. Now wanted to confirm this info with someone else.

Ah right sry, I didn't pay any deposit. Can't help you there.

Ah right sry, I didn't pay any deposit. Can't help you there.

:) ok. No problem :) we will see if someone has the same situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Out of contract now, very friendly and polite. On Bill Pay Lite 10 + 250MB so half the cost which suits me down to the ground.

Big thanks to Jordanius :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

Rang cancellations about half 5 to do this, no hassle and the girl on the phone seemed very helpful, she got me set up on the Bill Pay Lite scheme - €5 less per month and now with free M2M calls and texts. It has not changed over on meteor.ie yet though, anybody know know how long it takes to change over?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Rang cancellations about half 5 to do this, no hassle and the girl on the phone seemed very helpful, she got me set up on the Bill Pay Lite scheme - €5 less per month and now with free M2M calls and texts. It has not changed over on meteor.ie yet though, anybody know know how long it takes to change over?
    They organized to change me over on my next billing date, 15th Aug, so not immediately. Was it not the same for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

M450 wrote: »
    They organized to change me over on my next billing date, 15th Aug, so not immediately. Was it not the same for you?

Probably this alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Can i still cancel my contract even though i'm only 25 days into it?

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Yeah I don't see anything stopping ya. I think they've stopped threatening to take back phones anyway, especially if u opt to go for a bill pay lite plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭iPaddyM

Thanks, I'd like to get the wildfire. I don't understand the lite plan, 30 day contract? CAn I just get put on payg then get the wildfire on a new contract? Thanks again

Thanks, I'd like to get the wildfire. I don't understand the lite plan, 30 day contract? CAn I just get put on payg then get the wildfire on a new contract? Thanks again

That may be possible but I think you may need to move to one of the other networks (on PAYG) so that you can rejoin Meteor as a "new" customer and get the upgrade. Not 100% on that though. Maybe someone else could clear it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Celestial Deity

If you're planning on getting the Wildfire on billpay you might as well get the Legend, seeing as it's actually cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭ilovemybrick

CC seem well briefed on the cancellation policy now. I got my outstanding data (i went over my allowance) cleared and have moved to connect 25 + 10gb internet add on with a E63 for free. In summary I am on a better price plan, I got my data bill written off and got a free phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 pabear

i sent meteor an email last night looking to go back to PAYG and cancell my bill pay contract, i rang them last week and the told me i would have to pay a cancellation fee (450 euros!).
    Today i went to make a call and i was told i had insufficient credit BRILLIANT!

heres the email i sent;

To whom it may concern,

i am a meteor bill pay customer (my meteor login xxxx) and i would like to cancell my bill pay accout and go back to pay as you go,

it is my understanding that of 22 of august bill pay changes for internet usage are coming in to effect so Under Regulation 17 of the European Communities (Electronic Communications Networks and Services) (Universal Services and Users' Rights) Regulations 2003, an operator shall, not less than one month prior to the date of implementation of any proposed modification, notify its subscribers to that service of the proposed modification in the conditions of the contract for that service and their right to withdraw without penalty from such contract if they do not accept the modification.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

subway wrote: »
    emailed them to say i will just cancel after 30 days,
    told me i was confused and it was actually 14 days.
    either way, they said now that i have been informed that i have to return the handset if i wish to cancel, it doesnt matter when i do it, they still want the handset,

ah well :(

good advice for anyone just into a contract anyway, wait 14 days before calling

been following all this, and dodgy as it sounds would it be possible to start a contract for a htc legend, say tomorrow wait 14 days say, 18/19th aug and they try get out of it?kinda feel bad thinkin of it, but what the hey, karma for the people they raped on data charges no? if i could get out of it id like to stay with them(currently on prepay), but obviously have the freedom of no contract with a nice plan.

• Advertisement

I fuking love boards.ie

Went into the shop there two days ago and said I wanted to cancel because I'm leaving the country in September.. He told me I'd have to pay about 160euro cancellation but out of nowhere, he says "do ya know boards.ie?", I said yea nd he told me to have a look and just went talking to someone else. That was it, conversation over without even saying anything else.. I figured there must be somethin to it so walked out.

Obviously not gonna say who or where but I'm now out of contract :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

I like it :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

I rang up and did the same today myself..went straight thru to cancellations and said I wasn't happy with the changes, but I said I'd be happy to keep it if they'd give me free meteor to meteor calls and texts for life..the nice girl explained that if she gave me that, it would mean I was actually accepting the terms and that I was happy with them so could only put me on bill pay lite..which is fair enough..I'm delighted because I signed up to an 18 monther about a month ago and got a Desire for 170 quid and I got it from Carphone Warehouse so it's sim free to boot! No problems and no request to send back the handset

I fuking love boards.ie

Went into the shop there two days ago and said I wanted to cancel because I'm leaving the country in September.. He told me I'd have to pay about 160euro cancellation but out of nowhere, he says "do ya know boards.ie?", I said yea nd he told me to have a look and just went talking to someone else. That was it, conversation over without even saying anything else.. I figured there must be somethin to it so walked out.

Obviously not gonna say who or where but I'm now out of contract :D

Lol, ****ing brilliant..they won't last long with employees like him! HA ha..fair play..

alhimself wrote: »
    been following all this, and dodgy as it sounds would it be possible to start a contract for a htc legend, say tomorrow wait 14 days say, 18/19th aug and they try get out of it?kinda feel bad thinkin of it, but what the hey, karma for the people they raped on data charges no? if i could get out of it id like to stay with them(currently on prepay), but obviously have the freedom of no contract with a nice plan.

That wouldn't work..you'd be signing up to their new terms and conditions.

Philip42 wrote: »
    Lol, ****ing brilliant..they won't last long with employees like him! HA ha..fair play..

It's class.. Sitting here with a w995 that only cost bout me 70quid a couple of months ago on upgrade. I love EU legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭alhimself

hummm... but have they changed the contracts yet? they cant change the t&c's till the 22nd right?all hypotechical of course...i do actually want to get a legend, so might chance it, they have to show ya the contract before ya sign it anyways right? if its the new contract no biggy, i was gunna change anyways. although am i nuts with this dropping network problem? whole different kettle of fish and off topic.

alhimself wrote: »
    hummm... but have they changed the contracts yet? they cant change the t&c's till the 22nd right?all hypotechical of course...i do actually want to get a legend, so might chance it, they have to show ya the contract before ya sign it anyways right? if its the new contract no biggy, i was gunna change anyways. although am i nuts with this dropping network problem? whole different kettle of fish and off topic.

Good point I suppose but then again, the one month's notice only applies to existing customers..they've probably updated their terms on the new contracts..I can't see them leaving themselves open to that! But worth a go I suppose..I find MEteor excellent..I haven't experienced any problems like that and I have a DEsire..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

do you have to have had the data add on to cancel your contract?

• Advertisement

Doubt it.. It would still be part of the contract I imagine..

Advertisement