Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

metalfest wrote: »
    do you have to have had the data add on to cancel your contract?
    No.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

do you have to have had the data add on to cancel your contract?

Nope, in fact if you don't have a data add on it's even more relevant to you as the change is referring to out of bundle cost changes..having said that I don't think that matters either..I went bill pay lite today and I'm only a month into an 18 month contract! HIghly recommended..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭metalfest

so i ring, and say because of changes made in regulation 17 I'm unhappy with my pricing and I wish to be moved to PAYG?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

so i ring, and say because of changes made in regulation 17 I'm unhappy with my pricing and I wish to be moved to PAYG?
    lol, not exactly. Regulation 17 is the EU law which allows for people to withdraw from contract without penalty. You need to say that you're unhappy with the price changes and are exercising your right under Regulation 17 to withdraw from contract.

lol, not exactly. Regulation 17 is the EU law which allows for people to withdraw from contract without penalty. You need to say that you're unhappy with the price changes and are exercising your right under Regulation 17 to withdraw from contract.

ahh I see, I will be going back into contract with them soon after, the new price plans are much better

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I think at this stage you could probably ring up and say you're an ex-member of E-17 and you're not happy taking penalties so you'd like to cancel your contract...

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭Grudle

Just an update on my cancellation and switch to Bill Pay Smart Lite.

I can confirm that the change went through today (first day of new billing cycle) and I am on a month to month contract now.

Thank you EU and Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

My brother took out a 12 month Meteor contract in the beginning of May.

He called them today about terminating the contract after reading this. They said that if he remained with the contract nothing would change. However if he bailed out but stayed with them he would now have 400 minutes a month instead of the 500. They offered him an upgrade if he held on to the contract.

They also said that he must hand back the phone if he leaves Meteor altogether (Sony Ericcson W995) and if it is damaged he must pay for it. I found this part strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

alhimself wrote: »
    been following all this, and dodgy as it sounds would it be possible to start a contract for a htc legend, say tomorrow wait 14 days say, 18/19th aug and they try get out of it?kinda feel bad thinkin of it, but what the hey, karma for the people they raped on data charges no? if i could get out of it id like to stay with them(currently on prepay), but obviously have the freedom of no contract with a nice plan.

Go for it. I got a Desire last week and cancelled my Meteor contract yesterday...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Grudle wrote: »
    Just an update on my cancellation and switch to Bill Pay Smart Lite.

I can confirm that the change went through today (first day of new billing cycle) and I am on a month to month contract now.

Thank you EU and Meteor.
    Cheers for the update. Did they switch you directly to the lite plan, or did you go PAYG and then sign up to bill pay?
    And if the first case hav u got free Meteor texts/calls?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Has anyone here got out of contract and gone to another network?

If so, have they chased you for the handset back?

I honestly don't see how they could. If it was never mentioned on the phone and you were put on PAYG and then decided to move networks I don't see how they have any recourse to then ask for the phone back.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

Bluefoam wrote: »
    Go for it. I got a Desire last week and cancelled my Meteor contract yesterday...

So, you signed up, AFTER they announced their new pricing, and still managed to get out of contract and keep the phone:confused: Jeez Meteor need to wake up!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭elmoie

NothingMan wrote: »
    Has anyone here got out of contract and gone to another network?

If so, have they chased you for the handset back?

I honestly don't see how they could. If it was never mentioned on the phone and you were put on PAYG and then decided to move networks I don't see how they have any recourse to then ask for the phone back.

Yes i changed to PAYG for a few days then ported over to three on Tuesday not a word from meteor (also they never said i had to return my hero when i first called up and moved to PAYG)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

cojomo2 wrote: »
    So, you signed up, AFTER they announced their new pricing, and still managed to get out of contract and keep the phone:confused: Jeez Meteor need to wake up!
    I'd say it won't take long for them to sort that out. Its a bit risky as you could be stuck with a contract you didn't want.

just rang up, cancelled, no questions, unhappy with the new prices, ok , done thanks,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭here.from.day.1

I have been switched over to Lite as requested but I have been charged for the 3 texts I have sent.. to Meteor numbers.. I should have free calls and texts to Meteor.. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

I have been switched over to Lite as requested but I have been charged for the 3 texts I have sent.. to Meteor numbers.. I should have free calls and texts to Meteor.. :confused:

That offer is for new customers only I would imagine....prob have to transfer to another network and then transfer back to Meteor as a new customer....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

M450 wrote: »
    Cheers for the update. Did they switch you directly to the lite plan, or did you go PAYG and then sign up to bill pay?
    And if the first case hav u got free Meteor texts/calls?

Same for me today...

I DON'T have free meteor/calls texts. Got switched to bill pay lite over the phone.

I was told that I would have free calls and texts! Will give them a ring in a while...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

That's annoying but expected... let us know if its possible to get the free texts/calls added to your account without any messing around. It's stated on their website!

If not, we'll hav to do it the long way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Yup :(

Free calls & texts to meteor only for new customers. I was told by the guy who switched me that it was included, didn't seem to matter.

Oh well, will just cancel the contract in a few days i'd say and sign up in store

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Philip42

Pacifico wrote: »
    Yup :(

Free calls & texts to meteor only for new customers. I was told by the guy who switched me that it was included, didn't seem to matter.

Oh well, will just cancel the contract in a few days i'd say and sign up in store

I spoke to a girl in CC and I said I specifically wanted the free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts, and I asked to go to Smart Lite plan. She said I wouldn't have them if I changed to Smart Lite plan and that I'd have to go to the Bill Pay Lite plan to get free texts and calls to Meteor. I said fine. It doesn't kick in until the end of my current billing month which is the 10th of August, but I don't see why I wouldn't get them.

As far as I'm aware the "only for new customers" thing only applies to Smart Lite contract, not Bill Pay Lite. Think that's clear enough on their website?

has anyone cancelled their contract then started a new one with meteor?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

has anyone cancelled their contract then started a new one with meteor?

Yes, just completed the process yesterday. I canceled over the weekend, got switched over to PAYG on Wednesday. I called into Meteor yesterday and signed up to a new contract, no problems. The lads in there knew exactly what I had done and it was no skin off their noses. I think Meteor have stopped all the scare tactics of "we'll take your phone", "you'll lose your deposit" etc. Now, I think they are simply trying to get people to resign up as quickly as possible once they leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Philip42 wrote: »
    I spoke to a girl in CC and I said I specifically wanted the free Meteor to Meteor calls and texts, and I asked to go to Smart Lite plan. She said I wouldn't have them if I changed to Smart Lite plan and that I'd have to go to the Bill Pay Lite plan to get free texts and calls to Meteor. I said fine. It doesn't kick in until the end of my current billing month which is the 10th of August, but I don't see why I wouldn't get them.

As far as I'm aware the "only for new customers" thing only applies to Smart Lite contract, not Bill Pay Lite. Think that's clear enough on their website?

The procedure is (was last weekend) drop from bill to payg, go into store and sign straight back up to smart lite, you then get the full introductory offer of free meteor calls and texts for first 12 months (not a 12 month contract before someones asks, just a 12 month offer)

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

Just called there to cancel my contract and when asked why I gave the usual schpeel "not happy with the new charges on the amended contract".

He then says "you realise these charges are actually beneficial?"
    *awkward silence*

"Okay, can I still cancel my contract"
    "It's your choice, just so you know these charges are actually benefiting you..."
    this went on for a while, taking advantage of my Irish guilt, I nearly capitulated.

Anyway on PAYG now and wanted to move to Bill Pay Lite (€10) but with the 10GB internet add-onn. The chap on the phone said that the unlimited add-on wasn't available on the €10 plan. Is this true???
    Couldn't find anything on the site that suggested as much... actually found this which suggested otherwise. Does anyone know if you can get the 10GB add on on Bill Pay Lite 10?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 337 ✭✭TheTwiz

I cancelled today and asked to be switched to PAYG. Any idea how long this process takes?

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭Canluum

TheTwiz wrote: »
    I cancelled today and asked to be switched to PAYG. Any idea how long this process takes?
    I was told to turn my phone off for a few minutes and I'd be on PAYG. I did and I was.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Canluum wrote: »
    He then says "you realise these charges are actually beneficial?"
    *awkward silence*

"Okay, can I still cancel my contract"
    "It's your choice, just so you know these charges are actually benefiting you..."
    this went on for a while, taking advantage of my Irish guilt, I nearly capitulated.

You shouldn't feel guilty at all.

Yes the changes are beneficial, but it's *more* beneficial for you to leave your contract and move to PAYG / Bill Pay Lite / whatever.

It makes financial sense for you to leave your contract, and I wouldn't feel guilty about telling them straight out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭eden_my_ass

Canluum wrote: »
    Just called there to cancel my contract and when asked why I gave the usual schpeel "not happy with the new charges on the amended contract".

I keep reading about people saying they're having to explain to meteor that they're not happy with the changes...why? Happy or not has nothing to do with it, your opinion on the changes is none of Meteors business frankly, I just said that as the terms have changed I'm exercising my right to end contract, noone asked me was i happy or not...no need to be over-thinking it, just stick to the facts :D

Of course if you ring customer care instead of cancellations, you're bound to get hassled by the phone jockey...skip it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,199 ✭✭✭muppetkiller

I called up there and cancelled without any issue. She know exactly what I was calling about and was very friendly on the phone so big kudos to Meteor for that.
    I am a new meteor customer anyway when I signed up 2 months ago and had signed up to the Smart Bill Pay Lite on a 35 a month plan. So when I cancelled my contract and re-signed up on a one month rolling contract to the same plan it's actually now 5 euro cheaper lol. Thanks a million OP.
    Free Meteor Desire, 5 euro a month cheaper and no contract...sweet :D

Advertisement