Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Have I missed the window for this?
    have moved house and there's no reception in the house :( step outside the front door and it's fine. Needless to say I want out of the contract. wish I'd seen this thread last week.

Anyone know if I could ring up now?

OR is there a way to get out if there're no reception where I now live? Rang cs but they said it doesn't matter because I choose to move!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,992 ✭✭✭✭partyatmygaff

Too late i'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭consultech

aodhu wrote: »
    Have I missed the window for this?
    have moved house and there's no reception in the house :( step outside the front door and it's fine. Needless to say I want out of the contract. wish I'd seen this thread last week.

Anyone know if I could ring up now?

OR is there a way to get out if there're no reception where I now live? Rang cs but they said it doesn't matter because I choose to move!!

They're not claiming to offer 100% coverage, so they technically don't really have a duty to you (as I see it) if you're in an area that gets no coverage. Their argument will be to draw comparison to someone holed up in an underground bunker in that they are not responsible if that person cannot get coverage, as unfair as that is to your situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

just checked my account and there's a lovely €580 euro charge for cancelling my account on my latest bill!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Cancel that DD immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭johnny_adidas

ok apparently i wont be charged the cancellation charge, there will be a credit added to my account against this. however i have to go into a meteor store to pay the outstanding amount for my new bill pay smart lite which is strange as i signed a new direct debit agreement and the new tariff amount is also included on my online bill. asked for an email confirmation of the above for my records but was told i couldnt get one.
    If i dont see the credit against my account by the morning ill be contacting the bank to cancel direct debits from meteor until this gets cleared up by way of a hard copy of my bill showing the credit

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

this is good news ive three contracts they have not told me anything about the extra charges:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    oh yeah i also want out

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

jimmynokia wrote: »
    this is good news ive three contracts they have not told me anything about the extra charges:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
    oh yeah i also want out

Me thinks you are too late...

no i rang them and put it too them ive 3 bill pay max contracts 12 month ones
    they now say i have to wait until i get next bill(due 0n the 25th) and said i can cancell then but would not accept me paying my bill now bit stupid that

• Registered Users Posts: 28,215 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

no i rang them and put it too them ive 3 bill pay max contracts 12 month ones
    they now say i have to wait until i get next bill(due 0n the 25th) and said i can cancell then but would not accept me paying my bill now bit stupid that

You can cancel your phone at any time you just have to pay the cancellation fee. Did they mention anything, are you sure there is no cancellation fee? Seems pretty strange unless your contracts are up anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 swabby

Have people managed to cancel their contracts due to this change in meteors t&c and why is their a deadline for canceling?? Surely if you sign a contract (as i did in april) and meteor then change the t&c of the contract then you should be within your rights to cancel the new contract without penalty!!! please correct me if i am wrong?? Also does anyone know what meteors policy is on downgrading your tariff plan in the middle of your contract???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

swabby wrote: »
    Have people managed to cancel their contracts due to this change in meteors t&c and why is their a deadline for canceling?? Surely if you sign a contract (as i did in april) and meteor then change the t&c of the contract then you should be within your rights to cancel the new contract without penalty!!! please correct me if i am wrong?? Also does anyone know what meteors policy is on downgrading your tariff plan in the middle of your contract???

We were given a month's notice of the changes, that was the time to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭aodhu

Yeah you have to be within the month notice period or they won't let you out :( tried to cancel 2 days late but with no joy :(

JustinOval wrote: »
    We were given a month's notice of the changes, that was the time to cancel.
    I understand that this is what meteor are saying but does anyone know why we have to cancel within their deadline! Maybe im being naive but when they change the t&c of the contract you signed then surely you should be allowed to opt out! Also, i dont remember being notified of any changes, does anyone else???

I understand that this is what meteor are saying but does anyone know why we have to cancel within their deadline! Maybe im being naive but when they change the t&c of the contract you signed then surely you should be allowed to opt out! Also, i dont remember being notified of any changes, does anyone else???

Yes, you are allowed to opt out, and they gave us a month's notice to do that. The notification was in The Independent, and maybe other newspapers.

EDIT: I can only assume it wasn't widely advertised as they didn't predict this many people would reject a price decrease.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

No offence meant, but it sounds like you are trying to make up arguements & ignore the facts.
    • Meteor advertised the changes and the limited opt out time. As required by law.
    • The change in terms were actually beneficial to the consumer. But meteor honoured their legal requirement.
    • You took contracts out on three phones (???) or am I mixing you up with another poster?...
    • You signed a contract that clearly required you to make payments over a minimum usage period.
    • I presume you accepted a subsidised phone, which is paid for over the contract period.
    • Now you want to leave the contract and not pay for the phone and not pay Meteor what you owe them.

You sound very nieve to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Also, i dont remember being notified of any changes, does anyone else???

I wouldn't have known about the changes if it wasn't for this thread.

I don't see why you've to read certain newspapers in order to be notified that your mobile operator's terms and conditions are being changed. We've a relationship with Meteor as we are their customers, where does the Irish Independent come into the mix??

I get the odd text off them advertising bullshit on their website and third party ads yet they don't notify us directly of these changes...

Maybe if you argue this point they might let you go, I'm just glad I got in there in time with zero hassle :D

Bluefoam wrote: »
    No offence meant, but it sounds like you are trying to make up arguements & ignore the facts.
    • Meteor advertised the changes and the limited opt out time. As required by law.
    • The change in terms were actually beneficial to the consumer. But meteor honoured their legal requirement.
    • You took contracts out on three phones (???) or am I mixing you up with another poster?...
    • You signed a contract that clearly required you to make payments over a minimum usage period.
    • I presume you accepted a subsidised phone, which is paid for over the contract period.
    • Now you want to leave the contract and not pay for the phone and not pay Meteor what you owe them.

You sound very nieve to me...
    Not trying to ignore any 'facts', just trying to understand the situation!
    • Yes they advertised it in a newspaper! But would it not have been cheaper and more effective if they had text or sent an email to all of their customers! Seems to me, like they didnt want everyone to know!
    • The changes made are irrelevant, it is still in breach of contract!
    • No someone else, i have one phone and one contract!
    • I got the phone at a reduced rate, but certainly not free!
    • Yes i want to leave the contract and tbh i would not have a problem paying money i owe towards the phone but do have a problem with being forced to pay the remainder of the contract without receiving the services which your paying for!
    I signed a contract with meteor and have been a meteor customer for the last 8 years! I would have no problem paying a penalty for ending the contract but i have a major problem being asked to pay for services you will no longer be using! When i signed my contract, i was employed and living in Ireland, however due to unforeseen circumstances, that is no longer the case and i am leaving the country for a year! I asked meteor could i defer my contract until i return and then continue the contract but was told no! Meteor is showing no loyalty to a long term customer, so it is for this reason i want completly out of my contract and away from meteor! Meteors newspaper ad was destined to fail and its aim was to reach as few customers as possible! Not good enough!

M450 wrote: »
    I wouldn't have known about the changes if it wasn't for this thread.

I don't see why you've to read certain newspapers in order to be notified that your mobile operator's terms and conditions are being changed. We've a relationship with Meteor as we are their customers, where does the Irish Independent come into the mix??

I get the odd text off them advertising bullshit on their website and third party ads yet they don't notify us directly of these changes...

Maybe if you argue this point they might let you go, I'm just glad I got in there in time with zero hassle :D
    unfortunately i found out too late, but its pretty clear to me that this was the intention of meteor! Surely it would have been far more cost effective and would reach everyone of their customers if they had sent out text messages, but instead they choose to use the irish independent! I know if i had known in time, i would have canceled my contract as at that stage i knew i would be leaving the country! I will definitely be bringing this up with meteor! congrats on getting away from them:P

one months notice is not enough when there was no official statement from them or well advertised,they went the sneaky way about it this started on the 22nd of august,so my call yesterday is one month to the day.
    i rang to cancel either way as the network is crap where i travel to they said no and i would have to pay the remaining months

having said that i rang back with this notification and they changed their tune very quick and i pointed out i was not notified personally via phone text or mail i put that to them and they could not answer and wer happy to oblige,on receiving next bill which is due on the 25th i just have to pay my bill end of story.
    i recorded this call for back up incase they change there attitude again,and if they get snotty again:eek:

btw all contracts have various times left they all where not taken in one day

• Advertisement

Not trying to ignore any 'facts', just trying to understand the situation!
    • Yes they advertised it in a newspaper! But would it not have been cheaper and more effective if they had text or sent an email to all of their customers! Seems to me, like they didnt want everyone to know!
    • The changes made are irrelevant, it is still in breach of contract!
    • No someone else, i have one phone and one contract!
    • I got the phone at a reduced rate, but certainly not free!
    • Yes i want to leave the contract and tbh i would not have a problem paying money i owe towards the phone but do have a problem with being forced to pay the remainder of the contract without receiving the services which your paying for!
    I signed a contract with meteor and have been a meteor customer for the last 8 years! I would have no problem paying a penalty for ending the contract but i have a major problem being asked to pay for services you will no longer be using! When i signed my contract, i was employed and living in Ireland, however due to unforeseen circumstances, that is no longer the case and i am leaving the country for a year! I asked meteor could i defer my contract until i return and then continue the contract but was told no! Meteor is showing no loyalty to a long term customer, so it is for this reason i want completly out of my contract and away from meteor! Meteors newspaper ad was destined to fail and its aim was to reach as few customers as possible! Not good enough!

the above post was for you btw

also i dont mind paying for the phones or returning them
    my bills should have been 85 euro pm month they always exceeded that with no outside calls or data used or premium numbers i also asked about this and same again no answer given

one months notice is not enough when there was no official statement from them or well advertised,they went the sneaky way about it this started on the 22nd of august,so my call yesterday is one month to the day.
    i rang to cancel either way as the network is crap where i travel to they said no and i would have to pay the remaining months

having said that i rang back with this notification and they changed their tune very quick and i pointed out i was not notified personally via phone text or mail i put that to them and they could not answer and wer happy to oblige,on receiving next bill which is due on the 25th i just have to pay my bill end of story.
    i recorded this call for back up incase they change there attitude again,and if they get snotty again:eek:

Congrats! Did they try any sneaky tactics when you brought this up?? Did u ring customer care or the cancellation dept??

Sneaky hoo'res, dropping their prices without consulting each and every customer individually. What is the world coming to.

i rang customer care like only for i seen this yesterday and only done it today i was shafted lucky i got the call in LOL

Congrats! Did they try any sneaky tactics when you brought this up?? Did u ring customer care or the cancellation dept??

hi again yeah i rang customer care
    they tried to say i have to wait till next bill which is just due ,to cancell i said no i want out now ,i offered to pay my bill over the phone they said they cant i said thats bull ,they said we need invoice number i said no you dont you have account number,they said we need invoice number i said shut up, you dont, you have account number so are you trying to tell me ive no account now all i got was a stutter after that:cool:

JustinOval wrote: »
    Sneaky hoo'res, dropping their prices without consulting each and every customer individually. What is the world coming to.
    Its irrelevant, the fact is, they changed their t&c and did not notify each customer, and had it not been for them being so unreasonable and unhelpful to a long standing customer, then i would have probably never have even found out about this breach of contract, serves them right!

Its irrelevant, the fact is, they changed their t&c and did not notify each customer, and had it not been for them being so unreasonable and unhelpful to a long standing customer, then i would have probably never have even found out about this breach of contract, serves them right!

i was lucky i checked in here yesterday as i got a better offer
    after the 1st irate response i got from them i typed in how to get out of meteor contract and ended up here .
    i stuck it right in there face big time and they could only stutter back yee ha,
    i dont get time to read the paper or watch much tv

so here is what i find unreal
    your a meteor customer and they cant even ring or text you or send a flippin email????? eh hello there come on

yet i bet you anything if you missed a bill they would be on to you in every possible manner oh yeah im so right about that
    even though i never missed a bill

final word shammon mo fo bo selecta yoo hoo

You're like a broken record, you don't seem to understand the simple fact that they just dropped the prices on data, why on earth would they contact everybody to ask them if they agreed with this, and offer to cancel their contract if they didn't? :rolleyes:

I think it's you that's being unreasonable having signed a contract which you now decide you can't adhere to, yet you'd like to keep the subsidised phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Compudaro

I have just jumped network and ported my number away from Meteor with 6 weeks to go on my bill pay contract. Before porting my number I phoned them and spoke to the "termination" team (terrifying name!). The guy I spoke with was very helpful, explaining that when I port, that effectively cancels my contract with Meteor and they'll send me out my final bill with the only "penalty" being my requirement to pay my remaining monthly commitment. I asked if there was any contract cancellation charge apart from paying out your remaining monthly commitment...he assured me that there is no such charge!
    Reading some of the posts here though I'm scared that there could be? So is there or isn't there a cancellation charge?! Should I cancel my DD straight away or wait for meteor to take the final bill amount (I assume they'll do it by DD as usual?).

Any help/advice appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭M450

Compudaro wrote: »
    I have just jumped network and ported my number away from Meteor with 6 weeks to go on my bill pay contract. Before porting my number I phoned them and spoke to the "termination" team (terrifying name!). The guy I spoke with was very helpful, explaining that when I port, that effectively cancels my contract with Meteor and they'll send me out my final bill with the only "penalty" being my requirement to pay my remaining monthly commitment. I asked if there was any contract cancellation charge apart from paying out your remaining monthly commitment...he assured me that there is no such charge!
    Reading some of the posts here though I'm scared that there could be? So is there or isn't there a cancellation charge?! Should I cancel my DD straight away or wait for meteor to take the final bill amount (I assume they'll do it by DD as usual?).

Any help/advice appreciated!
    Wait for them to take your final bill, which is what you owe them, after that the safest option is to manually cancel the DD to be sure of no mishaps haha

and JustinOval why do you keep giving out about people wanting out of their contract? It's within the law that we can exit our contract after Meteor changed the t&cs. There's been many a discussion on that very topic in the previous 37 pages... why are you trying to make us feel guilty??

I don't expect Meteor to "ask them if they agreed with this, and offer to cancel their contract if they didn't?", I just expect them to notify their customers of a change of contract. We signed a contract. Why should they have the freedom to change it without notifying us?? And I wouldn't class putting an ad in the Independent as notifying their customers...

If they raised prices would you be going on the way you are..?

Advertisement