Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Meteors official response taken from there website is in short.....yep you can leave no problem, but we want the phone back.

You are correct that in accordance with the EU Regulations, if you wish to remove yourself from your contract with Meteor as a result of this change that you are within your rights to do so. In accordance with the Ts & Cs, termination must be notified in writing prior to the date of implementation of the change, so you would need to cancel your contract in writing before the 22nd of August. Also in accordance with the T&C’s, if you are within the minimum period of your contract, Meteor is entitled to require the return of your handset. The change does not directly affect customers on Bill Pay Max, Bill Pay Surf or our Smart Plans, as they already have an inclusive allowance of Data within their plans.

However, as outlined above, we will be providing you with better value Mobile Internet pricing with this change, so you probably won’t want to leave because of this!
    Eh, hello ?
    I'm on a smart plan - the change does affect me when I go over my allowance, no ?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

long_b wrote: »
    Eh, hello ?
    I'm on a smart plan - the change does affect me when I go over my allowance, no ?

Yes it effects you if you go over

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

I was thinking the same - Im on bill pay max €85 a month - 1 gig of data - surely if you go over your allowance then it applies to me?:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭chillin_penguin

Actually the more i think about this they cant take back my phone, I paid €180 euro for it so taking it back is a penalty unless they wish to refund me the money.

Mine was free with my plan and they can have it back - Sony Ericsson W995 - piece of junk tbh:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Was out longer than expected on a job today and tried to ring back there, so just to let everyone else know, the cancellation department only work from 08:00-18:30.

I'll have to give them a buzz tomorrow so, but what's this about having to give back the handset? Surely that's a penalty and as far as I can see, the big upfront payment I made was FOR the phone, so I've already paid for it :)

What yee think?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

well i paid 80 quid for the W995 which i gave to my mum...

they didnt ask me for the phone.

what would they do with a used handset? they would have to give me a refund for a used handset? lol :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

cormie wrote: »
    Was out longer than expected on a job today and tried to ring back there, so just to let everyone else know, the cancellation department only work from 08:00-18:30.

I'll have to give them a buzz tomorrow so, but what's this about having to give back the handset? Surely that's a penalty and as far as I can see, the big upfront payment I made was FOR the phone, so I've already paid for it :)

What yee think?
    I honestly can't see how they can do it. Not that I have much knowledge of the law though!

But, consumer law states that once a price is offered and accepted and the product is paid for, that's a binding contract, regardless of whether or not the phone was subsidized. They can't just demand the phone back imo. The contract you signed is a separate thing altogether and shouldn't have any bearing on the product that you purchased.

If they don't refund my €300 deposit, then I will be heading straight to the small claims court, and I would be confident of being successful.

Hopefully it won't come to that though.

I rang this afternoon - waited for ages for a customer care rep and when I told her I wanted to get out of contract she acted like what I said to her was totally alien news - she agreed to call me back but got no call - will try again in the morning and let ye know how I get on........:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

When I switched to bill pay a couple of months ago my remaining credit was deducted from my first bill. Anyone know if my remaining texts or minutes will carry over? or my 250mb of internet I pay for as i still have most of the allowence left.

• Advertisement

kilsmum wrote: »
    I rang this afternoon - waited for ages for a customer care rep and when I told her I wanted to get out of contract she acted like what I said to her was totally alien news - she agreed to call me back but got no call - will try again in the morning and let ye know how I get on........:pac:

you should have rang them after a while...they said they will call me back too but no one did...when i rang again i got to the cancelation dept straight away
    thomasjad wrote: »
    When I switched to bill pay a couple of months ago my remaining credit was deducted from my first bill. Anyone know if my remaining texts or minutes will carry over? or my 250mb of internet I pay for as i still have most of the allowence left.

nope...back on PAYG you got 0.00 :) nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Well then can I leave it till a few weeks and use up my minutes or will it be too late to get off bill pay then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

My phone no longer works and has been recylced, good look to them getting that back. Anyone know what the minimum period is?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

squared wrote: »
    My phone no longer works and has been recylced, good look to them getting that back. Anyone know what the minimum period is?

Min period = entire length of contract

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭mlmcelligott

2 of us are out of contract now. We were both put through to retention and were offered upgrades and some extra free add ons to the new tariff to encourage us to stay.

Does anyone know if this change of terms applies to eircom business mobile too?

So basically I can't get out of it without returning the phone? I think I'll give it a try anyway.

where is every one getting ideas that they want the phone back?

im back on PAYG and no one even mentioned a phone.

did they actually even ask any one for the phone back?

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Damie

They never mentioned anything about taking my phone back, just cancelled the contract and that was it.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,836 ✭✭✭✭cormie

Cancellations Department Direct Dial: 1800-222-085
    Open 08:00-20:00 (not 18:30 as I was told yesterday)

I just rang up there anyway and it was fine to get me out of contract but as far as I was aware, I'd be able to stay on the same deal I signed up to (but just not be in contract), ie, 200min/200texts a month for 25eur and then the data add on of 10gb for 15eur.

I was told I wouldn't be able to stay on this and would have to either go to PAYG or sign up to bill pay lite:confused:

If this is the case, what package/deal would be closest to the one I'm on while still keeping out of contract would anyone know?

cormie wrote: »
    Cancellations Department Direct Dial: 1800-222-085
    Open 08:00-20:00 (not 18:30 as I was told yesterday)

Thanks for the number, I will be using that in a while. :D

• Advertisement

Taken from the meteor forum:
    Catriona:Customers must cancel in writing before the 22nd of August which is when the new pricing comes in.

Thanks
    Meteor talk to us

Was anyone that cancelled told this?

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭cruizer22b

Im just off the phone from them. I just got an e72 a few months ago on upgarde and 12 month bill pay max contract which im very happy with. So rather then canceling they said they would approve me for another upgrade right away. So if a new phone I want comes out I can get it straight away. Very happy with that. I want to stay on bill pay anyway.

Just off the phone to the cancellations department.

Im officially off contract now - the lady I dealt with was very courteous and I had no problem getting sorted. She did try and suggest some of their 30 day lite plans but I declined.

I think I will have a think about which network I move to next:):)

Thanks OP - Kilsmum :D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 LOL_IRW

squared wrote: »
    So basically I can't get out of it without returning the phone? ...

Really?

LOL_IRW wrote: »
    Really?
    Well thats what their statement on the meteor forum says but in reality i don't think they have asked anyone for a phone yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Sweet, they're taking me off Bill Pay :D

Thanks OP :cool:

Just off the phone from the customer retention dept. They want my phone back. Thing is my hero broke so i bought a new one which cost €320. Theres no way I'm sending them that. The woman I spoke with put me on hold and asked a senior rep. but she said I would have to return the phone or buy a new one and send that in. while they're only doing their jobs could they not look at the big picture. I spent more on the new phone than would have to get out of the contract. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

Well if they are looking for the phone then I'm out. I went to Smart 30 and sold on the Desire for a fair sum. Happy enough with my contract the so the only reason to leave would be to sign back up and do the same again.

They seem to be getting their act together now so I'd say they'll be asking for phones back from here on in. Anyone cancelled in the last few hours that weren't asked to return their phones?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

On hold to cancellations now myself, seeing if I can wangle myself a free upgrade.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

As I only have mey Desire 6 weeks, I reckon they'll be looking for it back too :mad:

Advertisement