Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meteor; Change of billpay terms; get out of contract?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

tallus wrote: »
    On hold to cancellations now myself, seeing if I can wangle myself a free upgrade.

Sweetness! I am 7 months into a 12 month contract, and I got a free upgrade.
    Bear in mind tho, I have to sign up for another 12 months but that's fine as I'm happy with Metor anyways.
    They did ask for the phone back, but that was related to another account I have with them which I wasn't trying to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

[QUOTE=NothingMan

They seem to be getting their act together now so I'd say they'll be asking for phones back from here on in. Anyone cancelled in the last few hours that weren't asked to return their phones?[/QUOTE]

I cancelled at 11.40am and they didn't ask me for my phone back but my contract was due to finish in November anyway - Kilsmum

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

They can't look for the phone back. They gave you the phone at a subsidised price in exchange for signing a contract. The phone is part of the contract.

As a result of them changing the terms, you are entitled to leave "without penalty". They are not entitled to the return of your phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

jordainius wrote: »
    They can't look for the phone back. They gave you the phone at a subsidised price in exchange for signing a contract. The phone is part of the contract.

As a result of them changing the terms, you are entitled to leave "without penalty". They are not entitled to the return of your phone.

They are saying they still own the phone till the end of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

squared wrote: »
    Just off the phone from the customer retention dept. They want my phone back. Thing is my hero broke so i bought a new one which cost €320. Theres no way I'm sending them that. The woman I spoke with put me on hold and asked a senior rep. but she said I would have to return the phone or buy a new one and send that in. while they're only doing their jobs could they not look at the big picture. I spent more on the new phone than would have to get out of the contract. :mad:

Are they going to refund you the original amount you paid for the phone?

• Advertisement

Forgot to ask, there was no mention of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 feadog

I signed an 18 month contract with meteor 3 weeks ago and got a HTC Desire.

I rang this morning and got out of my contract and was offered an upgrade.

I've already gone to a Meteor store and got my upgrade and signed another 18 month contract.

No mention of returning the phone at all...

I think you just keep repeating to them on the phone that you want to exercise your right under EU Reg 17 to get out of your contract without penalty...

Hope that helps someone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

squared wrote: »
    They are saying they still own the phone till the end of the contract.

Maybe, but considering that the contract is technically ending due to them changing the terms then they no longer own it.

I'm e-mailing comreg about it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,763 ✭✭✭Jax Teller

Does this count for everyone on meteor bill pay ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,324 ✭✭✭tallus

feadog wrote: »
    I signed an 18 month contract with meteor 3 weeks ago and got a HTC Desire.

I rang this morning and got out of my contract and was offered an upgrade.

I've already gone to a Meteor store and got my upgrade and signed another 18 month contract.

No mention of returning the phone at all...

I think you just keep repeating to them on the phone that you want to exercise your right under EU Reg 17 to get out of your contract without penalty...

Hope that helps someone...

As a matter of interest, how much did the upgrade cost ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 feadog

tallus wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, how much did the upgrade cost ?

Got the Legend for 49.99 - on Bill Pay Smart (30 per month)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,216 ✭✭✭cojomo2

I was on to Meteor, they stated they want my phone back, and I would not get a refund for it.

This is surely isn't legal:

Imaging I buy a top of the range phone on contract with meteor, for 300 euro, and I sign a 12 month contract with it:

a few weeks later, they change the terms of the contract, announcing that out of bundle minutes will now be 10 euro a min(extreme example). I , of course don't agree to these new term, so opt out, and then I have to give the phone back, and be down 300 euro?

Obviously not,

Can anyone get legal clarification on this?

I agreed to give my phone back on the basis I would be refunded for it, but was told no, no refund.

They stated that in the terms, it states that the handset is theirs untill the completion of the minimum term, I pointed out that I wasnt breaking any term of the contract, that it was them that were altering the terms, and that I didn't agree so was opting out.

She just said, that it still applies.

I don't think so, they are chancing their arm here..

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

Doesn't sound right to me, tell them you're going to complain to comreg

I rang Comreg, they just confirmed that I have the right to withdraw from contract, they said they couldn't comment on the handset, although, the NCA advised that I can refuse to return the handset and leave it up to Meteor to pursue me for it legally. I got the impression that she thought they wouldn't have a leg to stand on though.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Just off the phone to them there, they said they've got legal advice and are now asking everyone to send back the handset as its the property of meteor until the end of the contract and send in a cancellation letter before the 22nd. :mad:

manu2009 wrote: »
    Just off the phone to them there, they said they've got legal advice and are now asking everyone to send back the handset as its the property of meteor until the end of the contract and send in a cancellation letter before the 22nd. :mad:

This is true, so if you decide to stop paying halfway through your contract, YOU are breaking the term, and so they can take the handset back.

However, by Meteor changing the pricing, THEY are breaking the terms of the contract, and as such, if you don't agree, it is them who have made the contract void, and ended it. You can keep the phone as the contract is now finished, and you did not break any terms of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,738 ✭✭✭SteM

cojomo2 wrote: »
    This is true, so if you decide to stop paying halfway through your contract, YOU are breaking the term, and so they can take the handset back.

However, by Meteor changing the pricing, THEY are breaking the terms of the contract, and as such, if you don't agree, it is them who have made the contract void, and ended it. You can keep the phone as the contract is now finished, and you did not break any terms of it.

With all due respect - do you know this for sure? Or are you just saying it because it's what you believe?

If meteor are saying they've taken legal advice then either they're lying and they haven't or their lawyers are incorrect and you are correct. Are you a lawyer?

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭manu2009

Rang back again and the same story, told them what cojomo2 just said and they said the contract i signed was for the service not the phone and she kept saying that they'd got legal advice and they are definitely entitled to the phone back.

SteM wrote: »
    With all due respect - do you know this for sure? Or are you just saying it because it's what you believe?

If meteor are saying they've taken legal advice then either they're lying and they haven't or their lawyers are incorrect and you are correct. Are you a lawyer?

Sorry, no not a lawyer, but when on to the NCA I put this to them, they put me on hold, came back and said what I have said seems to be correct. They advised that I should not return the phone and let Meteor pursue me if they wish.

Rang back again and the same story, told them what cojomo2 just said and they said the contract i signed was for the service not the phone and she kept saying that they'd got legal advice and they are definitely entitled to the phone back.

Yes, if they refund you what you paid for it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Covey

Just to get this straight.

You ring to cancel the contract, which isn't a problem, as they have to do it and will.

You now want to go to say Bill Pay Lite or whatever and stay with Meteor, which is to their advantage as well.

They take your phone back, therefore the above is not possible.

Seems kinda mad?

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Sorry, no not a lawyer, but when on to the NCA I put this to them, they put me on hold, came back and said what I have said seems to be correct. They advised that I should not return the phone and let Meteor pursue me if they wish.

I hope I'm wrong but i'd imagine meteor's lawyers know their own t&c's better than the nca do.

Whether meteor bother to come after people who don't return the phone is another matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭kilsmum

What in the name of god are Meteor going to do with all the second hand phones??

They must be getting a huge volume of calls from people getting out of contract.

Kilsmum

Whether meteor bother to come after people who don't return the phone is another matter.

I'd imagine a second hand phone is worth damn all to Meteor. A customer (on whatever plan) is.

Has anyone got the contract that they signed when signing up? I can't seem to find mine right now. What exactly does it say in regards them owning the phone or us leaving due to changes in contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 jbwan

I hope I'm wrong but i'd imagine meteor's lawyers know their own t&c's better than the nca do.

I'd believe that statement from CC when I saw it on a letterhead from their legal counsel. Otherwise, pinch of salt...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Got the same story off them. They were insisting that the handset has to be returned.

I told them I want withdraw from the contract anyway, and they said they wouldn't cancel it, only after I return the phone to a store.

Rang NCA, they said their legal team aren't in, but they'd ask them tomorrow and call back. I asked them if the part in the contract about Meteor owning the handset still applies, considering Meteor changed the contract terms and the contract would finish. I also asked them if Meteor have the right deny us our right to withdraw from the contract until the handset is returned.

(Also both Meteor and NCA told me that the "without penalty" part means that no termination fees have to be paid.)

Covey wrote: »
    I'd imagine a second hand phone is worth damn all to Meteor. A customer (on whatever plan) is.

It's not about them having the phones - it's about them making it as awkward as possible for people to consider leaving until they're out of contract. It's also about stopping people from being able to get another heavily subsidized phone from them which some people will definitely do.

I got a desire from them 6 weeks ago. if i could just call and cancel without any issues I probably would. They've made this a bit more difficult for me (and others like me) which is what they want.

It's not about them having the phones - it's about them making it as awkward as possible for people to consider leaving until they're out of contract. It's also about stopping people from being able to get another heavily subsidized phone from them which some people will definitely do.

I got a desire from them 6 weeks ago. if i could just call and cancel without any issues I probably would. They've made this a bit more difficult for me (and others like me) which is what they want.

Well I don't have any issues with Meteor per se, but would like to get out of my contract, not least because were it vis versa they'd exercise the option.

So I'll offer to go Smart Plan Lite (same cost as now) and see how it goes.

• Advertisement

plazzTT wrote: »
    Got the same story off them. They were insisting that the handset has to be returned.

I told them I want withdraw from the contract anyway, and they said they wouldn't cancel it, only after I return the phone to a store.

Rang NCA, they said their legal team aren't in, but they'd ask them tomorrow and call back. I asked them if the part in the contract about Meteor owning the handset still applies, considering Meteor changed the contract terms and the contract would finish. I also asked them if Meteor have the right deny us our right to withdraw from the contract until the handset is returned.

(Also both Meteor and NCA told me that the "without penalty" part means that no termination fees have to be paid.)

Again, I'm pretty sure they cannot do this, I asked NCA about this scenario, they advised me to keep the phone if I wish, and to send a registered letter to Meteor clearly outlining that I do not agree to their new term and wish to be removed from my contract. At this point, meteor can pursue me for the phone if they wish, though on what grounds, I don't know..!none I imagine.

Advertisement