Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Noise levels along the DART line

Options
  • 23-07-2010 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭

Anyone here live right beside the DART line in the city centre? Just wondering how you find the noise levels and all that.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,507 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

anywhere near Connolly? Apparently they leave the DMUs running overnite a bit.

GF's parents live against the line in Killiney, I notice every train that goes past, they don't as used to it. Its not that loud anyway, you notice the vibration though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭woolymammoth

What the deuce is a DMU? House hunting at the moment, one i'm considering is close to the line at grand canal.

sorry, Diesel Multiple Unit. the green, white and blue commuter trains

that's a bit of a waste of diesel isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

What you mean?

• Advertisement

sealgaire wrote: »
    What you mean?
    that they leave these DMU things running overnight sometimes?

that's a bit of a waste of diesel isn't it?

Came up recently on another forum here. The 071 engines are frequently left running in the docklands too.

Its cos they can be very difficult to start in the morning so its easier to leave them idle overnight. Crazy but there ya go. IE don't care about deisel costs as they get a budget for them anyway and compared to the cost of dealing with a failed train its much cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

I live along the dart line, doesn't bother me at all, you'd hear them when your windows are open but they're not that noisey or irritating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭oceanclub

We live fairly near it too; doesn't bother me at all. Of course, you tune these things out too. I used to live across the road from Christchurch; people would ask would the bells annoy me. "What bells?... oh those" I'd normally respond.

P.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

DART line is about 50 paces from my Apartment, no irritation what-so-ever. I actually like the sound of the DART in a strange way. Then again, my apartment is built with solid concrete block so I cant really hear much at all!

• Advertisement

my apartment is built with solid concrete block so I cant really hear much at all!
    do you have double glazing too?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,257 ✭✭✭SoupyNorman

Yes, when the windows are closed I cant hear a thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

It will very much depend on where you are. Inside Pearse Station isn't so bad. Outside Pearse Station can be appalling due to the curvature (wheel screech), jointed track (clickity clack), train horns sounding as they enter the station and trains braking.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mrshaha

I live along the dart line, doesn't bother me at all, you'd hear them when your windows are open but they're not that noisey or irritating

How about vibration, do u feel that? Thanks

DART line is about 50 paces from my Apartment, no irritation what-so-ever. I actually like the sound of the DART in a strange way. Then again, my apartment is built with solid concrete block so I cant really hear much at all!

Just wonder if there is no vibration either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭AlanG

Work beside it in city centre and have to keep windows closed all the time – noise from diesel trains, DART is fine.

Live beside the dart further out and don’t get too much noise however the Enterprise can be very noisy. I don’t notice the trains much but that said both myself and the kids sleep a lot later if we are away from home. Not sure if it is the trains but it is quite likely the background noise wakes the kids earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I cant speak for the DART but I used to live right beside the railway lines in Sallins and Id say within the first week I didnt even hear the trains. I lived beside the station and the intercom was actually more annoying, but even then I stopped hearing it after a while.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 202 ✭✭camphor

I lived in Grand Canal st for a year with the dart at the foot of the garden. I had no problem with noise from it. I used to work shift work so often slept during the day there.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,712 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sorry in advance.....

I used to live right beside the Drumcondra station platforms. When I moved there first I was waking up every morning at 5:30 when the first trains started arriving, but that didn't last too long. I didn't even notice it after a while.
    AlanG wrote: »
    Work beside it in city centre and have to keep windows closed all the time – noise from diesel trains, DART is fine.

Live beside the dart further out and don’t get too much noise however the Enterprise can be very noisy. I don’t notice the trains much but that said both myself and the kids sleep a lot later if we are away from home. Not sure if it is the trains but it is quite likely the background noise wakes the kids earlier.
    The Enterprise noise should hopefully be a thing of the past soon, if they ever iron out the kinks with the generator vans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Tails142

I live along a train line, like others have said you will notice noise and vibration at first but after a couple off weeks you will totally have blanked it out.

The only thing that is bad is the late night maintenance which for me happens one night every couple of months between 3 and 4am where they reballast the tracks or something. That wakes me up but I'm soon back to sleep, not sure if it takes place in town, I'm on a commuter line in Dublin

camphor wrote: »
    I lived in Grand Canal st for a year with the dart at the foot of the garden. I had no problem with noise from it. I used to work shift work so often slept during the day there.

Thanks for ur reply. I supposed noise is fine you might tune it out after getting used to. What about vibration? Do you feel it? Thinking purchasing an apartment near grand canal station. Thanks for sharing experience!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

We lived near it in two locations.

The noise of the trains is actually far less intrusive than traffic noise. Even the diesel ones aren't too bad.

However, if you're near one of the level-crossings which were for a year or so, the noise is absolutely infuriating.

A siren goes off every few minutes to warn you that the gates are about to close, then the gates make a huge rattling noise as they go down.

It really couldn't get any more annoying tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

A mate has the DART pass right behind his garden fence in Raheny. We notice it every time we're in the house but they don't pay it a blind bit of notice. You get used to it very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

hi all,

I know that this is an old thread but I have a similar query... basically, I d like to know DART noise levels in the Barrow st- Bath Ave area...

Are there new trains using the same track? Or any new legislation about noise levels in urban areas?

All trains seem to go very slow when passing by that are. Does anybody have recent experience?

Thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 78,417 ✭✭✭✭Victor

There is new track in the area, so it should be quieter then previously, however, there are additional peak time trains and that may increase again with more DART and Commuter trains.

Check the place out indoor / outdoor at rush hour and then at 9-10 pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I can see the DART line from my window, I'm a bit further out though, but before Howth Junction so we'd get most of the trains that also go through Grand Canal - doesn't bother me in the slightest, reasonably cheap double glazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,074 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I know several people on the dart line in raheny. Most would actually miss the sound if they moved away.

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭mikelata

Thanks to you all for your answers...

Do you know whether all the trains stop at Grand Canal Dock? Are there any trains that will just pass by without stopping at a higher speed?

Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

mikelata wrote: »
    Thanks to you all for your answers...

Do you know whether all the trains stop at Grand Canal Dock? Are there any trains that will just pass by without stopping at a higher speed?

Thanks

Yep the commuters wouldn't IIRC, the other issue you might have there is the Celbridge/Hazlehatch train sitting there running. On the former the commuter screams through where I am sounding the horn as it doesn't stop but even that doesn't even register unless I'm outside in the garden.

Actually on second thought - would many commuters even go beyond Connolly or Pearse - so you might not even have may of those.

Advertisement