Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Servicing for 2003 Golf GTI 1.8 Turbo

• 23-07-2010 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 37

Hi.

My Golf is due a service, can anyone recommend a suitable mechanic?

Dublin city centre or at the very least within M50 corridor preferred.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 porschespeedst

Bump.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Any garage should be able to do it. Make sure they use good quality oil as the 1.8t is prone to clogging the oil pickup.

How long since the last service? Good idea to do an oil change every 6k miles on these.

Neilw wrote: »
    Any garage should be able to do it. Make sure they use good quality oil as the 1.8t is prone to clogging the oil pickup.

Well, can you just name one because I don't know where to start.

How long since the last service? Good idea to do an oil change every 6k miles on these.

Too late, as it has 10k miles on the clock since last recorded service. Oh well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭mathepac

... the 1.8t is prone to clogging the oil pickup. ....
    Only when the wrong oil is used or the manufacturer's service schedule is not adhered to.

I also suggest sticking with the manufacturer's service intervals unless there is a compelling reason to change.

mathepac wrote: »
    Only when the wrong oil is used or the manufacturer's service schedule is not adhered to.

I also suggest sticking with the manufacturer's service intervals unless there is a compelling reason to change.

Hence why I said use a good quality oil ;)

More of an issue with longitudinally mounted 1.8t engines like A4's, passats and so on, smaller sump capacity in them.

This is the pickup from an engine I have, it's well clogged.
    DSC03682.jpg

My other 1.8t is perfectly clean at 70k miles, oil changed every 6k with fully synthetic.

• Advertisement

Hence why I said use a good quality oil ;) ...
    (my bolding in the quote) and my point is unfortunately, that is not enough.

Unless an oil is approved to the correct VW spec for that engine code / service interval combination it is the wrong oil. The oil has to have the correct VW spec on the container.

For example all the oils listed below have the "VW 505 01 / VW 505 00" type approval code on the containers. All are expensive high-quality oils, some are synth, some are semi, but all are VW approved to provide the correct protection for specific engine code / service interval combinations; using other oil may adversely effect those engines.
    • VAG-branded VW 505 01 / VW 505 00 High Lubricity Engine Oil 5W-40 - G 052 167 A2 - (Part No: ZGB 115 QLB 00 462)
    • BP Special Visco V 5W-40 (Fully Synthetic)
    • Castrol GTD 505 01 5W-40
    • Castrol EDGE Turbo Diesel 5W-40
    • Esso 505 01 5W-40
    • Fuchs Titan Supersyn SL PD SAE 5W-40 (Fully Synthetic)
    • Granville Topaz Diesel 5W-40 (Semi Synthetic)
    • Millers XFE-PD SAE 5W-40 (Semi Synthetic)
    • Motul 6100 5W-40
    • Q8 Formula Excel 5w40 (Fully Synthetic)
    • Shell Helix Diesel Plus VA 5W-40 (Semi Synthetic)
    • Valvoline DuraBlend Diesel SAE 5W-40 (Semi Synthetic)

Most of those oil's you have listed are suited to the PD tdi engines. Overkill in the 1.8t. Once the oil meets VW 502 00 spec it's fine.

Most of those oil's you have listed are suited to the PD tdi engines. Overkill in the 1.8t. Once the oil meets VW 502 00 spec it's fine.
    Yes the list I supplied happens to be of PD approved oils, but I never suggested they were for a 1.8T on fixed service intervals or any particular engine / service interval combination, I just said "For example".

Anyhoo, I'm glad you agree with me that the VW spec code on the oil container is the important thing, not just that it's a "good quality oil". :)

mathepac wrote: »

Anyhoo, I'm glad you agree with me that the VW spec code on the oil container is the important thing, not just that it's a "good quality oil". :)

Should have mentioned that alright.

OP what part of Dublin are you in?

Near quays, D7.

• Advertisement

Actually, seeing as you two guys seem to be experts on the model, I've just been browsing the internets and someone on another forum said:

There is also a Golf GTI 180BHP, it was a limited edition and comes with a 6 speed box.

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=37751

Is this correct, because my car has a 6 speed box, but I thought it was only 150bhp; based on what this guy is saying, he seems to be implying only the 180 bhp version has the six speed box, does this mean I have the 180bhp version??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

I think all Post-2001 GTI's had 180bhp.

Pre-2001 GTI's only had a K03 turbo (150bhp), whereas after 2001, GTI's were fitted with a K03S turbo (180bhp).

The 'special edition' which they're talking about is probably the 25th Anniversary Edition. These had 18inch BBS RC wheels, limited edition number (1800 made i think), bigger brakes, different bumper splitters and slightly lower in comparison to a normal GTI. Only made in black, red and silver.

You'd know if you had one, as they usually hold their value a little better than vanila GTI's.

Actually, seeing as you two guys seem to be experts on the model, I've just been browsing the internets and someone on another forum said:

http://www.driver.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=37751

Is this correct, because my car has a 6 speed box, but I thought it was only 150bhp; based on what this guy is saying, he seems to be implying only the 180 bhp version has the six speed box, does this mean I have the 180bhp version??
    Seperate wrote: »

Pre-2001 GTI's only had a K03 turbo (150bhp), whereas after 2001, GTI's were fitted with a K03S turbo (180bhp).

The 'special edition' which they're talking about is probably the 25th Anniversary Edition. These had 18inch BBS RC wheels, limited edition number (1800 made i think), bigger brakes, different bumper splitters and slightly lower in comparison to a normal GTI. Only made in black, red and silver.

You'd know if you had one, as they usually hold their value a little better than vanila GTI's.

Yes there were 180bhp Gti's. The majority of them were anniversary models with a bodykit and red/black recaro seats unique to the anni.
    There was also a 180bhp normal Gti, I think these were available from 2003 onwards and possibly had the same engine code as the anni, AUQ. Another way to tell would be the fitment of 312mm front discs and 256mm vented rear discs. The KW output of the engine will be on the data sticker in the boot, 131or so KW would equal 180bhp.

Seperate wrote: »

My car has 5 doors, so it looks like it isn't the 25th anniversary version.
    This Golf GTI is only available in a two-door version with tornado red, reflex silver metallic or black magic pearl effect

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

To answer your original question;

The mechanics in Discount Tyres changed my timing belt and did a full service on my 1.8T this week. They used all original VW parts (at my request), and obviously the correct oil as the lads were talking about above.

Can't fault the service. They're only a short spin down the N3 for you.

Cheers, appreciate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Michael Doherty

you can give us a try (close to IFSC and Trinity College)

http://www.cardock.ie/

for your 1800 cc car

Full service: 195euros

Interim Service: 135euros

Advertisement