Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lovebirds mating

Options
  • 23-07-2010 12:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone,
    First time poster in this forum. I got a pair of peach faced lovebirds last December. Got them from pet shop and there not hand reared. They were very nervous at the start, we've never really tried taming them or anything but they are much more at ease now 7 months on.

Anyway, we were never really sure which was the male and which was the female although we had our suspicions......until today. I was siting there reading boards, minding my own business and to my right the two of them started going at it! :eek:

here's a video i found on youtube of somthing simular.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0VieW8SlWQ

so what the feck am i going to do?:confused:
    the female has been ripping the sanded sheets at the bottom of the cage for the last week or so. Is she trying to make a nest?
    Is she going to have eggs?

If anyone has any experience with lovebirds i would appreciate any advice...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Do you want your lovebirds to breed? if so you need to provide them with a nest box. A standard budgie size one is ok for lovebirds. Then you need to get researching to make sure you know how to look after them.

Now if you would prefer no babies, you need to reduce amount of daylight they are getting every day. You can do this by covering the cage but the cover must leave them in complete darkness, so only about 8 hours of daylight a day to make them think its winter. Remove any nestbox if there is one on your cage. Longer evenings puts lovebirds (and budgies) in the mood:D

On the offchance she starts laying eggs on the bottom of your cage, you need to make sure she has plenty of calcuim in her diet, such as cuttlefish bone. Excessive egg laying can lead to loss of calcium in the hen bird and egg binding etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I wouldn't be breeding birds I got from a pet shop to be honest, if at all possible avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭gobo99

thanks for the replys guys. I don't think il be going into breeding of love birds anytime soon. Il try keeping them covered for longer in the mornings i think. That should take the horn off em!:pac:

out of interest Guineapigrescue why not breed birds from pet shop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭morganafay

gobo99 wrote: »
    out of interest Guineapigrescue why not breed birds from pet shop?

I guess because you don't know their backgrounds/family history, so wouldn't know if some of their family had genetic problems or anything?

Advertisement