Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What voluntary service do you work with?

• 23-07-2010 12:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭

Just wondering what services people are volunteering with. I myself am with the Order of Malta, Carlow Unit.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

I volunteer with the Dublin civ defence search and rescue unit and love every minute of it,and to top it all off i've a c licence so i get to drive the old fire brigades and ambulances around which is really interesting

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

triple-M wrote: »
    I volunteer with the Dublin civ defence search and rescue unit and love every minute of it,and to top it all off i've a c licence so i get to drive the old fire brigades and ambulances around which is really interesting

Aren't you required to have a D1 licence to drive those ambulances?

Civil Divil myself, million years service, jack of all trades but unfortunately master of none. That has to be the one disadvantage to a multi-skilled org, as a volunteer you dont have time to train to the relevant levels in all skills.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

Order of Malta here, just coming up to 1 year in the Order now!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 488 ✭✭watsgone

Order of Malta here,

long in the tooth I am afraid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

I was in Civil Defence ( Rescue ) back in the 1980's - only got called out for real on 1 occassion and that was New Years Day ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

Raglan House?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

civdef wrote: »
    Raglan House?

Yep , thats the one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭tinsop

New unit of the Missing Persons Limerick,
    http://www.limerickblogger.ie/blog/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

Order of Malta in Dublin here. Over 4 years and loving it. My life changed completely since I joined. For the better I might add.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭kensey

Reserve Garda

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

kensey wrote: »
    Reserve Garda

Really!

Like/Don't like? How are you treated by the regular members?

Like! Very much so. Treated very well by full time members and management alike. Been attested now just over a year and I find that the more time goes on, the more respect is given and your efforts recognised.
    Fri or Sat nite tour of service is highlight of my week!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,811 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

kensey wrote: »
    Like! Very much so.

Are you thinking about applying to the force full-time now, or will it remain a voluntary thing?

Will definitely go for full-time when the chance comes around. Just have to wait it out!
    Fortunately I'm getting alot of support and encouragement from my full-time colleagues which helps keep spirits up in the time being.
    I find it a meaningful and rewarding experience

Fair play, I'd imagine the reserve can be thankless enough, all the crap that goes with the job and no shillings for it.

Well, like any job it can have it's downsides but I think there's far more positive aspects in total. Like any volunteer organisation, a few shillings each week/month would be great, but hey... That's the way it goes!!
    It puts the volunteering in volunteering! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

Member of St John Ambulance since 1988, was told "it's only a few hours a week" :rolleyes:

Absolutley love the org, it's a great feeling to know that you have the training to help someone in their hour of need. Sadly, I've had to do cpr and it was on the way home from Lansdowne on the night of the riots but at least I tried !

It's a great organisation to join or at least do the 1st aid course cos you'll never know the time nor the place.

I met the missus in SJA and now am an Officer in the Division that I joined many, many, many years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,254 ✭✭✭Elessar

sgt.bilko wrote: »
    I met the missus in SJA and now am an Officer in the Division that I joined many, many, many years ago.

That's the thing I've noticed the most about OMAC, the amount of couples who met in it! It seems every couple I meet have met in the order! And then I keep hearing about engagements and weddings of people who met in the organisation. It's like a big matchmaking service!

Elessar wrote: »
    That's the thing I've noticed the most about OMAC, the amount of couples who met in it! It seems every couple I meet have met in the order! And then I keep hearing about engagements and weddings of people who met in the organisation. It's like a big matchmaking service!

well where is do you get to practice mouth to mouth and actually enjoy it :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

SJA myself :cool: looking at joining the Civil Defence in the coming months if work permits

• Advertisement

47 wrote: »
    SJA myself :cool: looking at joining the Civil Defence in the coming months if work permits

What Division are you in?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 435 ✭✭Tango Alpha 51

SJA myself, 47 why are you looking to get out of SJA & into the CD??.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭47

buzzman wrote: »
    SJA myself, 47 why are you looking to get out of SJA & into the CD??.

I`m not leaving SJA i`m staying in i`m looking at the afs in the civil defence they train on a different night to my division

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

wexfjord wrote: »
    Aren't you required to have a D1 licence to drive those ambulances?

Nope, an ordinary car licence covers one to drive them, a C1 is only needed for the new box-body ambulances with the ramp (they are over 3.5ton), and a D1 is for minibus only.

Many ambulances that cd have are fitted with seat belts along the stretchers, if you have capacity for more than 8 passengers you must have a D1

Thanks for the lesson in driving licences. I have one for each day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭civildefence

wexfjord wrote: »
    Many ambulances that cd have are fitted with seat belts along the stretchers, if you have capacity for more than 8 passengers you must have a D1

Thanks for the lesson in driving licences. I have one for each day of the week.

I would imagine that "old" meant 4x4 ambulances. Unsure of the tone of that response so i'll leave it at that.

There was no tone intended, but the statement that D1 is for minibus only is factually incorrect.

You may be right in assuming that 4x4 was inferred but its certainly not indicated by triple-m's post. I also made an assumption that it was a regular ambulance that was being refered to, we shall see.

There does seem to be confusion even among cdo's as to what licence is required for what vehicle.

Ps, I dont really have a licence for each day of the week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 382 ✭✭touge_drift

omac myself, about 8 years service. started as a cadet now im the duty officer in my unit.. and your right its a giant match making service haha

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭yeroulfella

Im in Dublin AFS

As far as I know the 4x4 ambulances are a B license. Think its because they are basically jeeps/offroad and they are a B license. may be wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭civdef

They are class B. <3500kg, <7 passengers.

Advertisement