Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What voluntary service do you work with?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Leo Demidov

They are a B, but as i said i assumed we were talking about real ambulances!

• Registered Users Posts: 34 SkyFest Airshow

Crew & PRO with Banna Rescue, Co. Kerry. We're a CRBI Unit (Community Rescue Boat of Ireland) - a declared resource to Irish Coast Guard and working under IrCG paging system.

www.bannasearescue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 923 ✭✭✭coolmoose

Red Cross myself, 15 years and can't get away! ;) have done bits and pieces with other orgs when asked though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Irish Red Cross for 2 years now I think (or is it 3...can't remember now!), have had to pass on nearly all duties this summer though, as they mostly fall on weekends, which nearly always clashs with the new-found part-time job. Really love it though, have met a great bunch of people through it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

Elessar wrote: »
    That's the thing I've noticed the most about OMAC, the amount of couples who met in it! It seems every couple I meet have met in the order! And then I keep hearing about engagements and weddings of people who met in the organisation. It's like a big matchmaking service!

theres also the partners who have to join OMAC to try and spend time with their other half.

My OH is in OMAC for 13 years and brought me into OMAC after I bitcced about missing the involvement of being in a vol org with SJA. So joined her OMAC unit and I love it (though have been given more and more responsibilities so time is getting even more precious for me, still wouldnt complain though :) )

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 HWRower

Order of Malta, South Eastern Region

Civil Defence. Joined my local unit when I was 17, and when I went to college in Dublin I joined up there too (I'd call myself "on attachment" to Dublin CD). about 8 years experience in total.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Tango November.

Im in the Red Cross for a year now and i enjoy it but i am thinking of civil defence...

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

miju wrote: »
    theres also the partners who have to join OMAC to try and spend time with their other half.

My OH is in OMAC for 13 years and brought me into OMAC after I bitcced about missing the involvement of being in a vol org with SJA. So joined her OMAC unit and I love it (though have been given more and more responsibilities so time is getting even more precious for me, still wouldnt complain though :) )

Ah dont be complaining, you do more than i do now LOL. Been in OMAC 13 years love the organisation and meeting new people constantly from it

blondie7 wrote: »
    Ah dont be complaining, you do more than i do now LOL. Been in OMAC 13 years love the organisation and meeting new people constantly from it

See can't even post on boards.ie without the OH finding my posts LOL. Anyways I'm not complaining especially as it looks I may well be getting even busier again EEK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 cbwex

Wexford Civil Defence here myself, lads its the best craic ever. you meet loads of people and it looks good on the c.v and of course theres nothing like the feeling of helping somebody who needs you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Morpheus

Does RDF count as voluntary service!? 65th Bat A Coy swords, 6 years now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭Delancey

My own personal opinion would say Defence Forces ( permanent or reserve ) are not Emergency Services.
    Having said that I would accept that in many emergencies the military do assist , floods , gorse fires , etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

Hi, new in this forum, only just discovered it.

I'm involved with the OMACs in Wexford, not as a full member but as an auxiliary driver. Am also an OFA and CFR, which I think is enough seeing as my involvement has been drastically curtailed owing to work commitments. Last year, out just about every weekend, this year since shift pattern changed to cover weekends, very little.

RadioRetro wrote: »
    I'm involved with the OMACs in Wexford, not as a full member but as an auxiliary driver.

hey RadioRetro doesnt sound like you much of an auxillary member when your out most weekends.

Tell me though do the auxillary drivers in your unit get to drive that sweet looking silver car you guys have :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭RadioRetro

The Batmobile? Yes when necessary. It's usually in the possession of the 2IC who organises and runs the first aid courses.

But sadly I don't get out much any more due to work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 J.Ruff

omac, craughwell unit, been in it for almost year now, luvin it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭mousehouse

In the OMAC kilkenny unit. Love it so far best decision I made was to go along to the recruitment night. You learn great skills and make new friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 fluffysierra

I'm in the Civil Defence in Cork

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Yopyop

St John Ambulance 14 years. Can't imagine what i would do without it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

OMAC unit.

Great craic :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

New to the boards and just seen this thread :)

Member of St.Johns Ambulance for the past 3 years. I joined the Cadets when I was 15 going 16 and am currently in my First year of Adults.
    My First Adult Duty was Obama so thats one to remember :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 9,812 CMod ✭✭✭✭Shield

AG2R wrote: »
    Wow. Would have loved to have been there. You were most definitely part of history that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭sgt.bilko

AG2R wrote: »
    New to the boards and just seen this thread :)

Member of St.Johns Ambulance for the past 3 years. I joined the Cadets when I was 15 going 16 and am currently in my First year of Adults.

Good man, welcome on board !

Just a little pet hate of mine, we're not St. Johns ! It's St.John :o

• Registered Users Posts: 32 debarran

I work as a literacy tutor with NALA

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭AG2R

Lol sorry force of habit.

Yeah it was some day, Met in HQ for 9.30 and didn't get home til 8 that night. Was worth it though. Great view of it all too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hp123abc123

Hi,

Probably the wrong thread to post in, but im in the market for rescue drysuits

Anyone know of anyone selling some?

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Hi,

Probably the wrong thread to post in, but im in the market for rescue drysuits

Anyone know of anyone selling some?

Hi, I've worked with the lifeboats & Coast Guard.

For rescue, you should be looking at two types - Typhoon or Northern Diver.

RNLI use Typhoone and CG use a mixture but newer ones are Northern Diver.

My preference is Typhoon - cheaper, self donning (you can zip it up yourself) and when the pager goes off and you arrive at the station - you can be in that suit and zipped up in 15 seconds.

However, Northern Diver look better (nothing wrong looking with Typhoon but Northern Diver do logos and RESCUE signage etc.) But, the ND suits can take up to a minute and a half to put on - plus they're not self donning (someone has to zip you up!).

In saying that, for a busy unit like and RNLI station, you might have to repair your Typhoon suit 2-3 times a year but you might not have to do any repairs on a ND suit.

ND are more expensive than Typhoon also.

Hope that helps - both have their advantages and disadvantages.

http://www.ndiver.com/site/index.html - Rescue sites seem down at the moment.

http://www.typhoon-int.co.uk/products/surface/surface_drysuits/racer_ezeedon/

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭kkhornet

I'm a member of the Kilkenny OMAC unit and love it. I don't get to do many duties because of work but get to meet loads of great people and learn new skills.

• Advertisement

kkhornet wrote: »
    I'm a member of the Kilkenny OMAC unit and love it. I don't get to do many duties because of work but get to meet loads of great people and learn new skills.

One of your lot is on the current EMT course, sound as a pound so she is :D

Advertisement