Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When will they learn

Options
  • 23-07-2010 12:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭

Read an article in the Independent yesterday that really made me wonder if anything has been learned from this financial crisis.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/banks-have-returned-to-reckless-mortgage-lending-2267944.html

Personally i know of one young couple who have just bought their first home and were given a 100% mortgage. Maybe its me but it seems that lending practices like that given the situtation we're in is just downright stupid. Another wave of fresh defaulters will surely send us over the edge. Where is the stricted regulation that is needed to keep our financial institutions in line?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

You dont have any comment about the couple taking the mortgage? I mean they are the bigger idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 163 ✭✭Chris007

Anyone wrote: »
    You dont have any comment about the couple taking the mortgage? I mean they are the bigger idiots.

Trust me i agree with you there, but surely the onus is on the lender to asses the risk

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Blackjack

Chris007 wrote: »
    Read an article in the Independent yesterday that really made me wonder if anything has been learned from this financial crisis.

http://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/property-mortgages/banks-have-returned-to-reckless-mortgage-lending-2267944.html

Personally i know of one young couple who have just bought their first home and were given a 100% mortgage. Maybe its me but it seems that lending practices like that given the situtation we're in is just downright stupid. Another wave of fresh defaulters will surely send us over the edge. Where is the stricted regulation that is needed to keep our financial institutions in line?

Who gave them the 100% mortgage?

Blackjack wrote: »
    Who gave them the 100% mortgage?

One of the big lenders, lets not name names :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

One of the big lenders, lets not name names

Why not? I'd say its BS. I'd be quite shocked if one the 7 mentioned in that report were giving out 100% mortgages.

• Advertisement

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Why not? I'd say its BS. I'd be quite shocked if one the 7 mentioned in that report were giving out 100% mortgages.

Yes it was one of the 7

Chris007 wrote: »
    Yes it was one of the 7

KBC are listed as one of the 7 - was it them?

Blackjack wrote: »
    KBC are listed as one of the 7 - was it them?

I'll give in to the peer presure :P I'm almost certain it was EBS

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

The concept of a 100% mortgage in itself is not a cause of concern, and this is most likely typical Indo tabloid-ism.

100% mortgages have always been around and always will be. The problem during the boom was that 100% mortgages became the default as opposed to the exception.

For the average person, a 100% mortgage is not the most suitable LTV, but you have to remember that not every applicant fits the bill of "an average" applicant.

A more suitable headline for this article would be "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". If people are not complaining that the banks aren't lending and have too strict criteria, they're complaining that the banks are lending and that the criteria aren't strict enough.

dotsman wrote: »
    The concept of a 100% mortgage in itself is not a cause of concern, and this is most likely typical Indo tabloid-ism.

100% mortgages have always been around and always will be. The problem during the boom was that 100% mortgages became the default as opposed to the exception.

For the average person, a 100% mortgage is not the most suitable LTV, but you have to remember that not every applicant fits the bill of "an average" applicant.

A more suitable headline for this article would be "Damned if you do, damned if you don't". If people are not complaining that the banks aren't lending and have too strict criteria, they're complaining that the banks are lending and that the criteria aren't strict enough.

+1

• Advertisement
Advertisement