Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matted hair on cat

Options
  • 23-07-2010 1:11pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering if anyone can offer any advise? My cat is approx 10yrs old and has suddenly developed small patches of matted hair on his back thighs. He's a short haired cat and has never had this problem before. I'm just wondering what's the best solution for this, try brushing it out or cutting it out? Would anyone have any idea why this would start happening now?

Thanks,
    BM

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I wonder is it happening because he is getting a little bit stiff turning around to groom himself? we had a semi long haired cat and this used to happen to him and we would cut/shave it off and although he would look a bit tatty for a while, his coat would soon grow back. It might be a good idea to help him with his grooming by brushing him a couple of times a week.

He is not likely to be too happy about shaving it so you could use a blunt scissors to help. You could also try the brush called a tangle teezer for humans, about 14 euro but they are great for gently removing knots and tangles.

Just check also that the skin underneath is not irritated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭Bloody*Mary

Thanks Knine - that could definitely be it as I've noticed he's a little bit stiff in the mornings when he's getting up and doesn't seem to have the same problem later on in the day so may be just age. The skin doesn't seem irritated underneath and I had cut some out (when he's let me!) but the situation doesn't seem to be improving.
    I'll up the grooming routine and hopefully that'll improve it for him.

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

Our cat was like that too, would only allow us to do a bit at a time but we would keep at it, he did resemble a patchwork quilt after we were finished but I'm sure he felt a whole lot better!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Shazanne

Hi there. My cat (who lived to be 15.5 years old) stopped grooming himself a couple of years before he died. He was ill at the time with early onset renal failure and the vet told me that, if they are not feeling 100%, they generally stop taking the interest in grooming. Perhaps, given is age and for your peace of mind, it might be a good idea to get him a health check. In time is the time to find out if there is anything wrong. Best of luck with him:)

Advertisement