Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New train service Dublin 15

Options
  • 23-07-2010 1:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭

Anyone any idea of when the new stations will be opening in Ongar and Dunboyne?

Is CIE going to supply additional trains for the new track and stations or will they just use the existing ones?

Will the new stations only go into docklands or will thery serve both Docklands and Connolly?

Besides being more crowded for existing users, can they look forward to a better and more frequent service?

On the downside for Dublin 15 motorist, a more frequent trains will mean more level crossing closures. Given that we often have to wait 5 - 10 mins for a train to go through after the gate has been closed, a new service has the potential to tie the road traffic in the area up in worse knots than it already is.

Murt

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Can't see it happening until the Dart under ground project is up and running and they get around to electrfying the maynooth line, so it could be 5 years +.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Murt10 wrote: »
    Anyone any idea of when the new stations will be opening in Ongar and Dunboyne?

October/November methinks?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Can't see it happening until the Dart under ground project is up and running and they get around to electrfying the maynooth line, so it could be 5 years +.

No. From the look of them they are ready to go immediately.

Really?
    Was up by the ongar station about 3 weeks ago and it was still a construction site.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Polar101

From IE's site:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/dunboyne_faq.asp

Q. WHEN WILL THE DUNBOYNE M3 COMMUTER RAIL LINE BE IN USE?

A.It is expected that trains will be running in 2010.

Q. WHAT KIND OF TRAINS WILL RUN AND HOW OFTEN?

A. Commuter trains; technically known as Diesel Multiple units (DMU's) will operate the service. These are used extensively on our network and have a proven track record for comfort and reliability.

It is intended to commence the service by running 15-minute morning and evening peak hour commuter services, and 30-minute off peak services. However, this will be subject to demand. The work will also allow for the future extension of DART electrification on the line.

---

Doesn't really look like it's been updated for ages, though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Bookkeeper09

I live in the estate just beside the Ongar train stateion (Barnwell)
    The station was initially supposed to open around August/September but apparently the builders are delaying this due to the low level of occupancy in the barnwell estate.
    As far as I know it was up to the builders to provide access to the station which looks like its far from ready.
    The station in Dunboyne looks like its almost ready.
    Not sure if ther will be additional trains on the line when it does eventually open or whether there will be less trains going between clonsilla and Maynooth and some going from Clonsilla and out the new train line

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Irish rail have today announced on their website minor delays to services on the maynooth/clonsilla/longford/sligo line from monday until further notice due to commissioning works on the new line.

The same notice states the new line is expected to open in september.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,727 ✭✭✭✭Godge

I don't know where I heard it but the original plan was for the trains from the Docklands that terminate at Clonsilla to be extended to Pace. No extra trains for the service but possibly some extra carriages.

Nah i heard the existing peak hour clonsilla trains will be extended,to pace nd off peak services will be introduced. Actually, irish rail said that at joan burtons local transport meeting

Here are some details from the meeting
    http://www.railusers.ie/forum/showthread.php?t=12333

• Advertisement

The station was initially supposed to open around August/September but apparently the builders are delaying this due to the low level of occupancy in the barnwell estate.

That sounds a bit odd - you'd think a good way to sell more houses in the estate would be to have a train service ready, rather than the usual "Opening Soon" you see in too many places around the country.

You would think!!
    I also noticed yesterday that the Iarnrod Eireann sign that was outside the estate has now been taken down!

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2010/0726/breaking11.html
    The Government has announced a six-year €39.43 billion revised capital investment programme today.

Metro North and the €2.5 billion Dart underground project are to proceed, but rail links from Dublin to Navan and from Tuam to Claremorris will be put on hold.

Thread about it in the commuting and transport forum
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055980429

I presumed that that article related to extending the train line from Dunboyne to Navan and not from Clonsilla to Dunboyne where the stations are already built?? Surely it makes no sense to have the stations at Hansfield and Dunboyne fully built(with the exception of an access raod at Hansfield) and sitting idle for the next few years??

Yep it is. Its phase 2 thats being postphoned. Phase 1 is due to open in september (according to ie)

That makes a bit more sense, but there hasnt been any work in the last few weeks near where the access road is to be built so I would say September is being a bit optimistic.
    I have emailed the Manorpark site office to see if anyone there can shed any light! Will post any info I get....(altho Im not that hopeful!)

I think its possible the new line may open without hansfield in september

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭Flimbos

It seems the only thing holding up the Hansfield station is Manor Park's reluctance to complete the access road, i.e. the station itself is more or less complete, but the access is through the developer's land so Irish Rail's hands are tied.

Local residents should continue to write to Irish Rail and local politicians to try to get this sorted out. It just seems like an awful waste to have a new station sitting there, are Irish Rail pressing Manor Park on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

thomasj wrote: »

What???? I would go mad if this happened as I use the train into town from Clonsilla every day for work and have been looking forward to the Hansfield opening for several years now as it would cut my walk to the station from 20 to 5 mins in the morning. Surely, they can at least input a temporary footpath if not a full serviced road so that foot passengers can use the new station. Surely Irish Rail would sue Manor Park Homes for not creating the public access after IR have spent millions on the station.

Yes, everyone who has an interest in this, please ensure you contact your local D15 politican demanding clarification/pressure on this.

thomasj wrote: »

My suspicions were correct!

September opening, now announced on Irish rail website but hansfield will not open until road is open

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

am not happy. I sent an email request to Leo Varadkar to get clarification on when Hansfield would open and in fairness, he responded quickly to say he would check it out. (i'll pass any news I get on here)I feel sorry for those who bought in Barnwell/Hansfield who bought their properties with the promise from the developers that the station would be on their doorsteps this summer/autumn. For once, Irish Rail have been the ones who got their bit done on time- it's the developers who are dragging their heels.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Truly amazing, we have a station at Phoenix Park at which almost no one gets on or off.

Now we will have a station which the people want to use but can't.

Gombeen Ireland is alive and well in the 21st century.

Given the cost of parking at that station it's no wonder people don't use it.

I've seen quiet a few people use the station and car park generally gaa matchdays a good few people got off at it on Wednesday night after the match

Again Phoenix park is a station built for a development hence the name of it and confusion it causes

It was quiet ironic to hear them talk about the possibility of opening the station before the others last year at the transport meeting given the mess it is now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 wapnote

The train line to Clonee will be opening on September 1. Three new stations have been built: Ongar, Dunboyne and Clonee. Have just heard that even though the Ongar station has been built the train won't be stopping there for at least a few more months because of a dispute with a developer as to who is responsible for building the road TO the station...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Services to/from Pace will start in September (bypassing Hansfield due to no road access).

Yeah is a bloody joke!
    I have sent numerous emails to the developer but havent gotten any replies.
    Advertisement is still outside estate for houses "with their own train station in Summer 2010"

Not too happy with this, since I'd be using the Hansfield station. How long can building a short road take? Does anyone know when the Hansfield station is due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

i think hansfield is ready to go only there is no road into it so it cant open. Least thats what i read in the paper yesterday.

• Advertisement

wapnote wrote: »
    The train line to Clonee will be opening on September 1. Three new stations have been built: Ongar, Dunboyne and Clonee. Have just heard that even though the Ongar station has been built the train won't be stopping there for at least a few more months because of a dispute with a developer as to who is responsible for building the road TO the station...

Where did you hear September 1st as the opening date?

Advertisement