Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New train service Dublin 15

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

The official opening of the line (but not Hansfield Station) is expected on Thursday September 2, with full service the next day on Friday September 3.

Source: Irish Rail, today.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭thomasj

Has the new timetable come out yet?

Connolly/docklands-Clonsilla portion of new timetable out and believe it or not it would seem according to new timetable that most trains will run nonstop between Clonsilla and the city

• Registered Users Posts: 3,004 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Just looked at the new time table http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Maynooth%2010-2.pdf it would appear that all outward bound trains from Docklands will be non-stop to Clonsilla. Trains inward bound from M3-Parkway and Dunboyne will stop at Clonsilla, Coolmine, Castleknock, Phoenix Park, Ashtown and then non-stop to Docklands.

This could make morning times at Clonsilla Station very interesting. As passengers travelling on the Dunboyne line will more than likely get off at Clonsilla, so as to be able to travel to Drumcondra, Connolly, Tara St and Pearse.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Just looked at the new time table http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Maynooth%2010-2.pdf it would appear that all outward bound trains from Docklands will be non-stop to Clonsilla.

Actually the trains from 4.30-7.25pm will be stopping everywhere except for Broombridge, for some reason.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Just looked at the new time table http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Maynooth%2010-2.pdf it would appear that all outward bound trains from Docklands will be non-stop to Clonsilla. Trains inward bound from M3-Parkway and Dunboyne will stop at Clonsilla, Coolmine, Castleknock, Phoenix Park, Ashtown and then non-stop to Docklands.

WHAT?!?! Are they bloody serious? Not stopping at Drumcondra? That makes the train bloody useless to me, as I would've used it to get from Dunboyne to Drumcondra to get to college in DCU...

TheChrisD wrote: »
    WHAT?!?! Are they bloody serious? Not stopping at Drumcondra? That makes the train bloody useless to me, as I would've used it to get from Dunboyne to Drumcondra to get to college in DCU...

Trains to and from Docklands don't go through Drumcondra. The turnoff to Docklands is before Drumcondra as you're heading into town.

Zaph wrote: »
    Trains to and from Docklands don't go through Drumcondra. The turnoff to Docklands is before Drumcondra as you're heading into town.

Then I suppose that the real question is, why the hell are these trains going to Docklands?!?!

Then I suppose that the real question is, why the hell are these trains going to Docklands?!?!

Because a lot of people work there and use them to commute in and out of town daily. Opening the Docklands station has also alleviated some of the pressure on Connolly as it's restricted to how many train movements can go through there each hour.

Because a lot of people work there and use them to commute in and out of town daily. Opening the Docklands station has also alleviated some of the pressure on Connolly as it's restricted to how many train movements can go through there each hour.

And yet they put the trains that serve a subset of people on those lines to the overflow station... Yea, great logic there :pac:

I wouldn't have issues with it if it wasn't for the fact that EVERY Dunboyne train goes to Docklands. If it were mixed so that half of them went to Docklands, and half to Connolly, I wouldn't have any problems. It would just be a minor inconvenience, rather than the entire line being a hassle.

• Advertisement

And yet they put the trains that serve a subset of people on those lines to the overflow station... Yea, great logic there :pac:

I wouldn't have issues with it if it wasn't for the fact that EVERY Dunboyne train goes to Docklands. If it were mixed so that half of them went to Docklands, and half to Connolly, I wouldn't have any problems. It would just be a minor inconvenience, rather than the entire line being a hassle.

All the trains to Connolly originate, or at least go though Maynooth. Clonsilla to Docklands is effectively a route in itself that shares the same track, and that route is now being extended to Dunboyne. I understand your point that every train from Dunboyne is to Docklands, but that's what the route is. The logistics of changing that one route are far more straightforward than trying to juggle two as I'm sure it's not just as simple as diverting some trains to Dunboyne rather than Maynooth and beyond. In addition, both routes serve the city centre, where the majority of commuters would be travelling to. The numbers going from Dunboyne to Drumcondra would, in all likelihood, be quite small and if the demand isn't there unfortunately those who do actually wish to travel between the two will be inconvenienced.

Don't forget the Clonsilla interchange is there for you to board an inbound maynooth train

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

Because there is no capacity in Connolly to cope with additional trains - every train that comes in from Drumcondra has to cross the northbound and southbound tracks of the northern line taking up a slot.

That is why the interconnector is planned to solve that problem.

Anyhow you can change trains at Clonsilla and connect with a service from Maynooth that will serve Drumcondra - no more than a 7-8 minute wait there.

Likewise the trains in the opposite direction have a 5 minute connection at Clonsilla.

That gives a journey time of about 35 minutes from Dunboyne to Drumcondra - hardly that much of a disaster!

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭Matches

Also the walk from Docklands to Connolly is only 10 mins.

The main issue with boarding at Clonsilla, particularly in the mornings, is that it's generally already packed enough with people, so having a fair few people getting off the Dunboyne train to wait for a "normal" train would probably make it even worse. And they'd have to get off at Clonsilla rather than any further down the line, because any further down and you run the risk of not being able to get on the train at all! A few weeks of me having to get the train at Castleknock during morning peak and I know how damn bad that is...

I also get the feeling there's going to be an awful lot of confusion for the first couple of weeks after the line opens because of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

With its big carpark, and the very large number of people using it, I am really surprised that the train goes straight from Docklands to Clonsilla rather than stopping in Coolmine first.

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭Hungerford

I also get the feeling there's going to be an awful lot of confusion for the first couple of weeks after the line opens because of this.

Not really, it's going to be a hell of a lot easier than if departures from Dunboyne alternated between Connolly and Docklands.

The problem is, as pointed out, that Connolly Station is operating at full capacity at the moment so all new Dublin services have to go to Docklands on weekdays.

Unfortunately, the Docklands line doesn't go through Drumcondra - it's a separate branch off the mainline. The line does have a connection with Connolly but it can only access Platform 7, it's single-track and it is rather steep. Plus using it blocks all services to and from Docklands. Your anger shouldn't really be directed at Irish Rail but those who originally built the lines over 100 years ago.

Murt10 wrote: »
    With its big carpark, and the very large number of people using it, I am really surprised that the train goes straight from Docklands to Clonsilla rather than stopping in Coolmine first.

The rush hour trains in the morning and evening stop at all stations rather than going direct.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,882 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

funny nobody reported it here in the local fourm for D15.
    This line actually started normal service this morning!!!

again: heres the timetable:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Maynooth%2010-2.pdf

heres info on fares:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/dunboyne.pdf

as mentioned elsewhere, the 1500 space carpark at m3 parkway is free (initially at least)!

I got on the first train from the M3 parkway at Coolmine this morning and as it's a couple of minutes earlier than it used to be, I'd say it caught a lot of the regulars who are normally on it on the hop. However, they were replaced by a significant number of men aged 50+, all of them armed with impressive looking cameras and enthusiastically talking about level crossings and some bit of railway siding somewhere. When the train reached Docklands one guy raced off it ahead of everyone else and started taking pictures of the front of the train. Now given the relatively limited amount of railway stock in this country, I'm pretty sure he already has dozens of pics of that particular train, but obviously none of them were coming from the new station. Trainspotters really are weird!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Matches wrote: »
    Also the walk from Docklands to Connolly is only 10 mins.

...and it avoids the crowding on the Connolly train and you get a seat for most of your journey. I was doing this for a while and getting a Dublin Bike to my destination.

I switched to cycling though, Coolmine > D4. Only takes 40~60mins. Which is roughly the same as the train when you take into account waiting and transfers, and walking.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

I got on the first train from the M3 parkway at Coolmine this morning and as it's a couple of minutes earlier than it used to be, I'd say it caught a lot of the regulars who are normally on it on the hop. However, they were replaced by a significant number of men aged 50+, all of them armed with impressive looking cameras and enthusiastically talking about level crossings and some bit of railway siding somewhere. When the train reached Docklands one guy raced off it ahead of everyone else and started taking pictures of the front of the train. Now given the relatively limited amount of railway stock in this country, I'm pretty sure he already has dozens of pics of that particular train, but obviously none of them were coming from the new station. Trainspotters really are weird!

Roy Cropper types?? did they have their flasks of tea and egg sandwiches also?? :-)I've started getting the new 9:17am service from my stop Clonsilla and it whizzes non-stop into Docklands in about 15 mins which is great as I work in the IFSC - hardly have time to finish my Metro, it's so quick! I think Clonsilla patrons get the best deal as regards the new services as a lot of the new M3 services bypass Coolmine/Castleknock etc whereas they all stop at Clonsilla...now if only Hansfield opened (just a stones throw from me) and that would knock another 10 minutes off my commute..!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

funny nobody reported it here in the local fourm for D15.
    This line actually started normal service this morning!!!

again: heres the timetable:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/your_journey/printed_timetable_pdfs/2010/Dublin%20Maynooth%2010-2.pdf

heres info on fares:
    http://www.irishrail.ie/upload/dunboyne.pdf

as mentioned elsewhere, the 1500 space carpark at m3 parkway is free (initially at least)!

I see a big price diff on the weekely ticket between m3 parkway and dunboyne and they are only 1 stop apart. no wonder they offer free parking, paying for parking in coolmine works out at about the same price then.

Advertisement