Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Road

Options
  • 23-07-2010 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

What was your interpretation and opinion of Cormac McCarthy's, The Road.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Why does this feel like a leaving cert question?

I loved the Road. I think the only reason the literati classes didn't like it was because McCarthy went onto Opera to highlight it. The relentless misery of the novel, the grime, the ashen atmosphere and the bitter hopelessness of it all contrasts greatly with the devotion of one father in his determination to keep his son going, to pursue the road and to never give up.

I also find it important that the son was born into the new world, and had no knowledge of what came before. Thus the relationship with the father was the ultimate bond. The son knew nothing else of this cruel world and the compassion of the father was to become his guiding moral compass.

A fantastic re-affirmation of all that is good and positive in the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I loved it. Some people were disappointed that it wasn't as elaborate as, say, Blood Meridian, but I felt that the way in which the sparseness of the prose mirrored the world it depicted really worked.

Others had some ideological objections to the novel. For instance, there's a whiff of the whole bible-belt survivalist thing around the ending, but I'm inclined to put that stuff to one side.
    Denerick wrote: »
    The son knew nothing else of this cruel world and the compassion of the father was to become his guiding moral compass.

I don't think it's as straightforward as that. The father often displayed a lack of compassion when dealing with characters other than his son; he seemed motivated by a hard-headed (and hard-hearted) determination to survive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

What were people interpretation of the final paragraph; was it to show how everything beautiful about nature was destroyed or maybe nature might make a comeback.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,488 ✭✭✭Denerick

Kinski wrote: »
    I don't think it's as straightforward as that. The father often displayed a lack of compassion when dealing with characters other than his son; he seemed motivated by a hard-headed (and hard-hearted) determination to survive.

Considering the only thing the father had to be compassionate about was his son, he adopted any and every measure to continue his survival. You are right though, the son is in fact the guiding moral compass, as every occasion in which the father is forced to do some bad things it is always the son making the loudest protest. *Also add in his constant question about whether they were the good guys or not

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭taztastic

I loved the book but mostly because my heart just bled for the characters. The sparse style just leaves it so ambiguous that everything can be debated. Even the ending could be read as threatening or hopeful. Many authors try and interpret events for the reader but McCarthy leaves everything open and up to the reader. So not an easy book but certainly one that got me thinking.
    the son is in fact the guiding moral compass, as every occasion in which the father is forced to do some bad things it is always the son making the loudest protest.

Just as an example of the ambiguity; the son frequently talks of giving up like the mum did, is that weak or the only moral decision left. The son is constantly being traumatised and the dad can't protect him - would it be better to let him end it? The son's need to be the good guys - there are no good guys in this world so is he the voice of morality or is it just childish immaturity that he needs to put the world into categories like all children do?

I took this book at face value; no easy answers, no soft options and turns conventions on their head. Reminded me of I am Legend - another excellent book.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I liked it alot.Very easy to read ,and makes you think about what you would do in in a similar position.
    What would you be prepared to do to save yourself and your son.Kill/rob strangers for food?.Let people die from starvation so that you survive?.Eat the dead?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

macgrub wrote: »
    What was your interpretation and opinion of Cormac McCarthy's, The Road.

What was your's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,228 ✭✭✭epgc3fyqirnbsx

I think I just read it at the wrong time. I had just landed into a tropical paradise and wanted a book to read on my balcony overlooking the beach.
    So I kinda hated it! It definitely wasn't a suitable time or place but I was aware of that. I'm going to re-read it during a Mayo winter.

Advertisement