Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

photography challenge #41- Accidental Letters

• 23-07-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭

So this challenge is to see accidental letters or numbers in the environment. Like this
    4544041059_7da0e8b2f9_m.jpg

4239701527_bffc8de4b8_m.jpg

and more here
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/33341129@N00/

Slight change to the rules this time as suggested by Keps so 16 days for this one.
    The rules:
    *Photos must be in by 2 weeks of given task - closing date 8pm on Sunday 8th August
    *No old photos. Only photos taken with this task in mind qualify - sorry. Therefore, dated 23th of July onwards.
    *Photos must be on the given task.
    *ONE photo per post. Post as many as you like.
    *C&C to be encouraged - but be nice about it.
    *Stretch yourself - no limitation to what you can do to produce the image.
    *Next task/subject to be chosen by person who has the most thanks after their post (must include a picture in the post).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Brilliant theme!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Love the theme, itching to go out and explore now !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Slidinginfinity

Very original! Don't think this is something I have ever thought about before.

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭Ettna

262C4285F8F24687959747CF851287CD-500.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭warder6161

:D abstract r what ... nice 1 boy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

Hopefully it will kill the totally unrelated animal/cat/dog & child shots that are far from the set challenge that seem to bring these challenges down to a "post whatever you want" challenge.

Excellent topic. Will be good to see what people come up with.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭thatsnotmyname

Great challenge !

I can see someone giving it the two fingers though !!:D

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 4,948 ✭✭✭pullandbang

Very original! Don't think this is something I have ever thought about before.

Bryan Peterson does it all the time. In one of his books he uses a photo of a "letter" to start each chapter.

Great challenge !

I can see someone giving it the two fingers though !!:D

Not my clothes peg surely! I think its a great challenge, looking forward to seeing what you all come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,324 ✭✭✭keps

I was following the willie wagtail (now top right-) this morning when I noticed this S shape:)

2dumuzs.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

4824562084_2d09978277.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭Winnieacre

Eleven.jpg

Eleven?

[URL="http://pix.ie/ettna/1815750]"]227A95477D5A493EA7B86ACA98941525-500.jpg[/URL]

O or on second thoughts maybe a full stop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,417 ✭✭✭CH3OH

First attempt...
    [IMG][/img]556ED8D07EA14484AAFCE5743BA10845-500.jpg

E!

three:D

212boqt.jpg

J......

5FBEBFBB764A47C283D531D5BC2B5266.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

A60B71146067447A944D0A86F5D87B0E-500.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

Took this with an U in mind, but someone pointed out it could be an Y as well...

61781C5E0A9C4C6B9136721A2FA048FC-500.jpg

I got an E ...
    4828405356_9a1de8c4e6_z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 49 gone2themoon

pete4130 wrote: »
    Hopefully it will kill the totally unrelated animal/cat/dog & child shots that are far from the set challenge that seem to bring these challenges down to a "post whatever you want" challenge.

This challenge has stepped up a notch, thank god! Now where's my photo-maker?

This challenge has stepped up a notch, thank god! Now where's my photo-maker?

All the challenges that I have been involved in (and I think I have tried most) have produced great photos and great bit of fun and a real bit of learning.

I have to give a really wry grin to Tetchy Pete4130 - the guy who thought it was oh so cool and trendy to put a colour-tinged photo into a B&W challenge

(so I can assume no 'thanks' from Pete4130 on this particular assignment)

X............................

C96ED658C77F4EFFAF20324ABC3620EC.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

keps wrote: »
    All the challenges that I have been involved in (and I think I have tried most) have produced great photos and great bit of fun and a real bit of learning.

I have to give a really wry grin to Tetchy Pete4130 - the guy who thought it was oh so cool and trendy to put a colour-tinged photo into a B&W challenge

It gives me a sly grin to remember a monochrome challenge and not a black and white challenge but thats not here or there I suppose....I'm far from tetchy in reality. I like to stick to a brief and will defend my images in the context of that brief.

Aside from the above....my point was that 80-90% of the shots posted are very very weak shots that in fairness....if you were given them as a gift, mounted and framed you'd seriously question why it was taken (in any context), and if you knew the brief you'd be a bit disappointed.

I understand they challenges are meant to be fun. I get that whole aspect of it. What seems to happen is people who are trigger happy post for the sake of posting and make their images fit the challenge in their eyes. I'm not being smart a$$ed....I just ask you go back through the previous threads and look at the majority of pictures posted and ask if you'd like to see them printed, mounted and framed and see them on a wall. Chances are the answer will be "No". Again I'll say its just an online challenge and it doesnt matter.

The thing is though, I have standards and wouldn't/won't post a photo I wouldn't be happy with being printed, mounted and framed and feeling proud to look at and being happy with how it looks in real life....so therefore wouldn't submit something I'd just taken on whim (which seems to happen a lot).

You might call me tetchy and I accept I am somewhat militant towards MY OWN photography and what I see as acceptable. I also appreciate there are many levels of photography here and different people appreciate different levels of quality.

Quality stands out in my opinion. JPB1974 to name a frequent user, shows tremendous, meticulous quality in his work and it is obvious he doesn't shoot on whim. It's also obvious that he/she has been taking photos for a long time (knowledge, different formats, understanding, composition, technical skill, printing skill and outright domination with his images and knowledge that I fully respect along with his cutting wit and humour!). This shines through his/her images. On the other hand there are people, with all due respect who have had a camera maybe 2-3 years who have picked up some buzz words and terminology and spout some cr@p now and again and like to think they know what they are doing, and post, what seem like at best, mediocre images and expect the highest praise for the images.

Most of the older users don't post on here any more and this forum has become somewhat a "newbie" forum unfortunately and will take a few years to recover from that. I'm not saying this disrespectfully towards any current posters, merely as an observation I don't enjoy this forum as much as I did several years ago due to content and user attitudes.

I understand that this, my post, may come across as being provocative or argumentative and it isn't. It is just my opinion in relation to myself being quoted as "tetchy". Boards.ie photography forum is great, or at least it used to be more great (in my opinion). I used to get much more fun and inspiration from it and get involved in larger, progressive, educational discussions that were though provoking and inspirational. The past few months I haven't felt that vibe or feeling from posters. It's been more a feeling of reading what other people have read in bi-weekly or monthly photography magazines producing similar "mmmneh" images, especially towards a "challenge"???

Mods, feel free to move/delete this post. It isn't meant to be argumentative. It is in relation to the challenges and isn't meant to incite any online ware/argument.

pete4130 wrote: »

It's a really fine post Pete..

and Pete I fully withdraw the word 'tetchy-- and replace it with the word 'fair'

I would say that one of the fatal flaws in Pete's essay is that he thinks that we all think that our photos are suitable for framing and to be sold worldwide by Amazon.

The first distinct image on this 'challenge' that I remember was the 'shadows' one- where the winner had replaced the shadow of an apple with a pear/or something like that).

No one thought that that photo was going to be a worldwide hit

We did not want to frame it

But we all loved it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

heres one attempt. good way to make u see things differently.
    2749B05B0075492E984D16AD250E7046-500.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

102627FD5F474D519DB41748F7953FD2-500.jpg

i wanted a better dof but found it really hard on a moving object!

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Landoflemon

Hi, this is my first attempt at these challenges, and it aint as pretty as the other photos, but just wanted to add something!

I was doing Double Cantilever Beam testing of Carbon Fibre in work this morning and remembered the challenge! I think the specimen during testing looks like a lovely curvy V!

x1y60w.jpg

• Advertisement

4832348942_a2a17628dc_z.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭Scarlett68

T
    67E910F66BD944F79C623379471B15D8-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chunfella

Above Chinatown in Smithfield.

BlockTizzle.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭theboat

Great challenge :)
    E
    59C4E20C18004B0796E04D2DD20A773B-500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 EmilyCoco

Great idea, I'm on the look out for suitable subjects.

I am new to this forum and I intend to enter some of the challenges. My standard is no way as good as any of the images I have seen so far. I have enjoyed photography since childhood and I hope to improve and learn as much as possible. I hope you forgive my lack of skill and buzzwords. I am not deluded about my skill level, I consider myself a keen amateur and nothing more. It is very nice to be part of such a sharing community of like minded people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

chunfella wrote: »
    Above Chinatown in Smithfield.

what are we looking at? surely the "T" was intentional

Y
    74CCFC3407FC4CD6BD2FBF3C2FE55603-500.jpg

Martron wrote: »
    what are we looking at? surely the "T" was intentional

Chunfella -
    This was an excellent first post - welcome to the great fun world of Boards Challenges

The seagull makes a T also

So it's

Synchronised 'Ts':)

(plus it's a fine photo overall)

m

[IMG][/img]8869C11F80D04B15AE2397042ED16624-800.jpg

One more for today :)
    W
    2211F342D7854357A4DD597EC78E6523-800.jpg

• Advertisement

small x trapping a capital O!:)

[IMG][/img]973BCC537FB54337A2225DAFCB34CED4-500.jpg

CH3OH wrote: »
    small x trapping a capital O!:)

sorry I cant give you 2 thanks:)

I think there is a 2 there also - excellent:)

33f9vuq.jpg

keps great great grandfather old E
    [IMG][/img]9D49612FD2C748029C763E843347058F-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

E307CD6725C04767A77BD066612B7D4A-800.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 716 ✭✭✭squareballoon

IMG_0088.jpg

[IMG][/img]http://053C597C14A74A3D9492357D385A1FF5-500.jpg

Could this be a Y?