Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fantastic Forum Tips

• 23-07-2010 1:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭

As many people have recieved great help over the years from this wonderful forum. I think it would be a good if members would share one piece of knowledge or tip that they picked up from this very forum.

What has been the top best piece of knowledge that you picked up from a discussion here?

Mine? I'd have to say that I was once advised that I should head back to the same landscape sights during different times of the year/seasons/days for a completely different view of the same scene. Never really considerd it before. It blew my mind how different things looked after a season change.

yours?

Ray

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,840 ✭✭✭Trev M

This link was great when I started out .... always forget who posted it but I regularly pass it on

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/enjoydslr/index.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Get a nifty fifty. Never heard of it until I came here (i know, I know!).

Now, I haven't managed to actually BUY one yet, but I'm working on it! Borrowed one once and it was awesome. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Use a ND filter for long exposure daytime shots (at the point in time I could just not understand why my seaside pics came out white :o).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

Always make sure the camera fits nicely in your hands before you buy it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,281 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

never pet your dog when he's on fire.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

Double check you have a memory card in the camera

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

And batteries....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

sNarah wrote: »
    And batteries....

Dunno about you, but my camera wont turn on without batteries. It will however take a pic ;):D

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 328 ✭✭thefly

don't give up the day job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭jpb1974

It's going to be an expensive hobby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

zoegh wrote: »
    Get a nifty fifty. Never heard of it until I came here (i know, I know!).

Now, I haven't managed to actually BUY one yet, but I'm working on it! Borrowed one once and it was awesome. :)

I've done both... :$ Brilliant lens, amazing value, but no saved pictures to prove it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Someone once said to me "try things for yourself".

Sounds obvious but I was relying too much on what people were advising me to do. Now I can use my cameras in a manner that is closer to their full ability.

Rather than thinking I don't think I can do that I give it a try and if I still can;t do it then I ask someone.

Worked for me :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You won't win friends with swans.

Something I've learned over the past year is that most photographers seem to take pretty good care of their stuff. I've yet to see a wreckless photographer. With that in mind, when buying your first DSLR or accessories, always consider going second hand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

theTinker wrote: »
    I've done both... :$ Brilliant lens, amazing value, but no saved pictures to prove it ;)

Is the nifty fifty really that much better than the 35mm f/1.8?
    I have the 35, but never used the 50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

In order to avoid looking like an utter fool....remove the lens cap before trying to compose a picture! ;):D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 638 ✭✭✭theTinker

Is the nifty fifty really that much better than the 35mm f/1.8?
    I have the 35, but never used the 50.

My comparison is based on my upgrade from my 2 ZOOM lens. The difference in a prime is obviously a huge leap.
    I'd imagine the 35 is a great lens also. I'd often want just a slightly wider on my 50mm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,852 ✭✭✭Hugh_C

Zoom with your feet.

(Actually heard it elsewhere many many years ago from cinematographer Declan Quinn)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭oshead

Nforce wrote: »
    In order to avoid looking like an utter fool....remove the lens cap before trying to compose a picture! ;):D

Don't know how many times I've done that... :)

So this is not you then?

121388.jpg121389.jpg121390.jpg121391.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

oshead wrote: »

So this is not you then?
    :D...not me...but I've been that soldier.In my defence, I'm obsessed with protecting the front element/filters on my lens so I only remove the cap when I'm taking a shot. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Use viewfinder and not the LCD if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Steve Reddin

oshead wrote: »

So this is not you then?

121388.jpg121389.jpg121390.jpg121391.jpg

That's what he gets for not holding his camera properly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

I've learned about back-button focus and the advantages of manual exposure. Thanks guys!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 79 ✭✭goldseeker

Use custom W/B setings.Print 18% gray card and cary with you to set that seting anywhere you are,in any lighting condition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

Something I've learned over the past year is that most photographers seem to take pretty good care of their stuff. I've yet to see a wreckless photographer. With that in mind, when buying your first DSLR or accessories, always consider going second hand.

Have we not met yet?:D

2 things I have learnt.
    1 You can always use voice activated tripods when tripods are unavailable. These are handy to come by really, if you have friends;)

2 There is always more to learn and improve upon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭sineadw

Look ALL around the frame when you take a shot - not just at your point of focus. You'll take much better shots just with that one small thing.

Advertisement