Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

German Shepherd pup, well behaved but...

• 23-07-2010 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

..she wont stop chewing on the kitchen door when she is put to bed!

I let my GS and my terrier sleep in the kitchen coz Im a nice guy :rolleyes: Never had many problems with the terrier but every night I can expect something to be chewed up and wrecked by the GS. Shes only 3 months or so but the frame of my door is in bits already, I'd hate to see what she could do when shes fully grown.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 280 ✭✭shay

**Vai** wrote: »

I let my GS and my terrier sleep in the kitchen coz Im a nice guy :rolleyes: Never had many problems with the terrier but every night I can expect something to be chewed up and wrecked by the GS. Shes only 3 months or so but the frame of my door is in bits already, I'd hate to see what she could do when shes fully grown.

using tea oil on what you don't want chewed I've heard works. If its only the frame she fancies, then tea oil on that might work.

I presume you've left chew toys in with her? 3 months is when the teething starts - I know as I've a husky that age. Kong toys are supposed to be the best for them...

(that's me exhausting my very limited "knowledge" on all things Canine :D)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

**Vai** wrote: »

i feel your pain... but she is a pup and thats what pups do.. and 3 months is very young....but to try and save your place from bing destroyed.... try rubbing vicks vapour rub on the areas she like to chew or crib halt... its fab stuff!! after a few weeks you can stop rubbing it in places she chews... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭**Vai**

shay wrote: »
    using tea oil on what you don't want chewed I've heard works. If its only the frame she fancies, then tea oil on that might work.

I presume you've left chew toys in with her? 3 months is when the teething starts - I know as I've a husky that age. Kong toys are supposed to be the best for them...

(that's me exhausting my very limited "knowledge" on all things Canine :D)

I tend to take the toys out at night in case of fighting, maybe I shouldnt tho. Must try the tea oil, cheers!

cocker5 wrote: »
    i feel your pain... but she is a pup and thats what pups do.. and 3 months is very young....but to try and save your place from bing destroyed.... try rubbing vicks vapour rub on the areas she like to chew or crib halt... its fab stuff!! after a few weeks you can stop rubbing it in places she chews... ;)

Yeah I know Im asking alot at 3 months but I think I was spoiled with the terrier, never any problems like this. Vapour rub will be tried, probably with the tea oil just in case! Thanks for the suggestion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

If she's chewing I'd make sure she has something she's allowed chew.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

I wouldn't leave toys with her as is a bad habit to start. Get into the mindframe that you control everything she has, including her toys. I found a little tabasco sauce would keep mine away from chewing although would result in an awful lot of sneezing when she would go near it.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 little lamb

kylith wrote: »
    If she's chewing I'd make sure she has something she's allowed chew.

Buy a create bed him down for the night then you don't have to worry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,776 ✭✭✭Noopti

Same issue with one of ours when he was a puppy. Door frame and part of the door was chewed to bits. To be honest we tried loads of sprays etc and they didn't work.

I think all you can do is provide toys and leave him at it. Eventually he should get to the age where he won't do it anymore like ours did.

Im gonna try the suggestions I got here but to be honest I thought it would probably end up just being a waiting game alright. We live in hope!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Crate training is the way to go with a chewer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

GSDs are really intelligent so it will not take long for her to realise that you don't want her to do it. Make sure she gets a firm reprimand if you actually catch her doing it (right at the specific time).

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭cjf

If it persists I would also advise crate training ur puppy- it can also come in handy to have pup crate trained for travel or if they have to stay over at the vets. My chap sleeps in his crate had same problem with chewing he was anxious when we went to bed and wouldn't settle down at night since we got the crate he sleeps straight through the night no chewing on his crate at all just strait to sleep!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭RubyGirl

+1 on the crate, they are great.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭sotisme

A kong filled with something nice maybe, but she might need to go to the toilet in the middle of the night so maybe not.....;)
    My dog was destructive when he was a puppy but tbh he just grew out of it:) We poured vinager on the places where he chewed(skirting boards ect.:rolleyes:) but he Loves vinager and would shend aaggess trying to lick it off! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭bullylover

Hey, I use cribox in work to stop horses crib biting (biting doors and stuff), it defo stoped my English bull terrier chewing stuff when she was little! but be fore warned wear gloves when applying it because if it does get on your hands it stays 3 days or so. Nasty tasting but works great:)

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Taceom

I used furniture polish on anything I didn't want our dog to chew. The polish won't damage furniture like other things might and it was very effective.

Advertisement